Qu for redeeming miles: new US to AA member

Old Jan 22, 14, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Qu for redeeming miles: new US to AA member

Hi there

I wanted to enquire about using AA points I am a US dividend miles member and from end of March will be redeeming via the oneworld airlines I believe.

My questions are this please:
If I was to redeem Syd/Europe rt using MH, CX or QF, in J class what are the approx taxes (is it around $200 as it currently is with US?) or do any of these airline impose a surcharge on top of this too?
Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 22, 14, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have any AAdvantage miles to redeem? Although US will join oneworld at the end of March, the Dividend Miles program is not going away that soon.

And the issue is not whether CX, MH, and/or QF impose surcharges on award flights; it's whether the FFP whose miles you are redeeming assesses surcharges for redemptions on CX, MH, and/or QF. Currently, if you redeem AA miles on those carriers, no surcharges; if you redeem BA Avios on those same carriers for long-haul travel, you'll be assessed hefty surcharges.
Old Jan 22, 14, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have any AAdvantage miles to redeem? Although US will join oneworld at the end of March, the Dividend Miles program is not going away that soon.

And the issue is not whether CX, MH, and/or QF impose surcharges on award flights; it's whether the FFP whose miles you are redeeming assesses surcharges for redemptions on CX, MH, and/or QF. Currently, if you redeem AA miles on those carriers, no surcharges; if you redeem BA Avios on those same carriers for long-haul travel, you'll be assessed hefty surcharges.
Awesome - thanks for explaining.

So - no, I only has a US air account. I am a bit confused how this will work then as I received an email saying I could use it to redeem Star alliance partners until this date. What happens after this?
Will I use it to redeem AA's partners after this?

Thanks in advance
Malcolm
Old Jan 22, 14, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Once US joins oneworld, you will be able to redeem your Dividend Miles for travel on oneworld carriers, at the DM redemption rates, and subject to DM policies and fees. (Whether you'll also be able to redeem DM immediately on AA's non-oneworld partners is something I'm not sure of.)

At some point -- maybe in a year from now -- your DM will be converted to AAdvantage miles, and you'll then redeem under the AAdvantage program's terms and conditions.
Old Jan 22, 14, 6:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
After 3/31 you can use US miles to redeem OW carriers based on US rules, which aren't as nice re: surcharges than AA.

To redeem AAdvantage miles between the U.S. and Hong Kong in First Class on Cathay, for example, is just $2.50.

That does not mean it will only be $2.50 to redeem US Airways Dividend Miles.
Old Jan 22, 14, 6:09 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Ansett767 View Post
Awesome - thanks for explaining.

So - no, I only has a US air account. I am a bit confused how this will work then as I received an email saying I could use it to redeem Star alliance partners until this date. What happens after this?
Will I use it to redeem AA's partners after this?

Thanks in advance
Malcolm
Until 30 March, you can use your miles for award travel on US and its *A partners, as well as AA and its partners (with some limitations). Rules and regulations for such travel are determined by US. As of 31 March, US will join OW. From then on, you will no longer be able to use US miles for travel on *A (UA, LH, LX, OS etc.), but you will be able to book award travel on all OW airlines. Until AA and US merge their FF programs, however, your US miles must be used through their program, which is more restrictive than AA's program in many respects.
Old Jan 22, 14, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
Until 30 March, you can use your miles for award travel on US and its *A partners, as well as AA and its partners (with some limitations). Rules and regulations for such travel are determined by US. As of 31 March, US will join OW. From then on, you will no longer be able to use US miles for travel on *A (UA, LH, LX, OS etc.), but you will be able to book award travel on all OW airlines. Until AA and US merge their FF programs, however, your US miles must be used through their program, which is more restrictive than AA's program in many respects.
Thank you that explains a lot

Does anyone have a tip as to where to check OW carrier availability? e.g for *A and ANA account was perfect. Any free FF programs allow one to search for ones self to prepare an itinerary (So much quicker and more fun than relying on the DM agents who were for the most part useless)
Old Jan 22, 14, 10:48 pm
Suspended

There is an entire thread on redeeming AA miles on its oneworld and other partners. Refer to the stickies.There is also a newbie thread.
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
There is an entire thread on redeeming AA miles on its oneworld and other partners. Refer to the stickies.There is also a newbie thread.
There is only 1 sticky thread I can see and its not on this. Any chance you could point me or link me in the right direction please?
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:20 pm
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-awards.html

The stickey links to threads that provide everything you need to know in the first few posts of each.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: