How long does it take for purchased upgrades to post?

Old Oct 2, 02, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

How long does it take for purchased upgrades to post?

I just bought some upgrades.

How long before they appear in my account?

Old Oct 2, 02, 3:43 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Up to 24 hours, I think.

I usually wait to buy them at the airport, as they post immediately and you can confirm an upgrade without having the required amount of stickers in your account.
Old Oct 2, 02, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
In my experience, you can request an upgrade when you book and it will clear (if space is available) even if you don't have the required stickers. Telephone check-in won't allow you to proceed, but the agents at the airport will process your sticker purchase at the counter. There doesn't seem to be a way that you can get a boarding pass without having the requisite number of upgrades in your account (ie. it isn't like the VIPOW stories of the agents not collecting paper coupons).

I don't know how it works if you want to buy upgrade stickers with miles, rather than buy them at $50 each. Does anyone know?
Old Oct 2, 02, 4:56 pm

I've bought them often, just 'cause I like riding in the front of the plane. More often than not, my account reflects the stickers in 2 hrs.

The website claims 2hrs too.

"Note: Upgrades purchased require at least 2 hours to process. AAdvantage upgrades are not valid for travel to, from or within Asia, Europe, Central America or South America."

Oh, the breakdown of cost is not $50 each. Rather this schedule:

1-7 Upgrades 45.00 USD
8-32 Upgrades 31.25 USD

I always go for the 32 pack once or twice per year.
Old Oct 2, 02, 5:14 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
So if I don't have enough upgrades in my account, are you saying that at the gate, I can find out if I can still upgrade with the "stickers" and if I can, I can purchase how many more I need?? I thought that they needed 2 hours to clear into my account? Is there an expedite fee for this?
Old Oct 2, 02, 5:26 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zipual:
So if I don't have enough upgrades in my account, are you saying that at the gate, I can find out if I can still upgrade with the "stickers" and if I can, I can purchase how many more I need?? I thought that they needed 2 hours to clear into my account? Is there an expedite fee for this?</font>
Correct on all counts. I do this all the time. Request the upgrade, even if I don't have enough stickers to cover it; if it goes through, I buy them at the ticket counter (in groups of 8 to get the discount rate). If not, I hang on to my $$$ just a little while longer.

Posting is immediate, and there's no expedite fee. Yet.

Old Oct 2, 02, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
I purchased upgrades using miles a few months ago. It took a good 24 hours and perhaps a bit longer.
Old Oct 2, 02, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I just purchased upgrades at the ticket counter--an instant situation. Bought them and used some.
Old Oct 3, 02, 12:16 am

I have purchased upgrades, 8 at a time, 3x in the last few months, every time they have taken approx. 2-3 days to post to my account.

Earned upgrades have taken about a 2-3 days after passing the magical 10K increment.

Youse udder gize, it's only taken ya about a day? Maybe AA don' love me as much, bein' a lowly plat.
Old Oct 3, 02, 9:07 am

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
If my wife is with me, she is Gold AA, can I take the upgrades just out of my account to upgrade us both?.....or do I also need to have enough upgrades in her account?
Old Oct 3, 02, 9:46 am

No, you can upgrade both of you out of your account (assuming you're travelling together). The number of stickers in her account is immaterial, as long as you have enough in yours.

Search this Thread