Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Hong Kong Cathay or American for Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EZEMD11
I have found the snacks offered at the walk up bar to be quite tasty and they never ran out of snacks during my DFW-LHR-DFW flights. On an even longer flight across the pacific, it's nice knowing you have that bar when you get the munchies.
Yep, that bar is great. I'm a fan.

OTOH, on CX, there's no real need for a bar...the call buttons on those aircraft actually work Seriously, CX has plenty of between-meal snack options, and the FAs there are usually more than happy to sort you out.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
...CX has plenty of between-meal snack options, and the FAs there are usually more than happy to sort you out.
Nah. I think most people would much rather walk up to a counter to grab snacks than have the FA whip up a very decent burger, or a giant bowl of noodles, and deliver it on a tray with proper utensils and all
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX hands down.

For the noodles alone; it's the best mid-flight snack, and works wonders against dehydration.

AA and CX crews seem to be from two different planets. I've never seen an AA employee clean the lav, while on CX they're outstanding with it -- on one F flight they even cleaned it after every customer (as long as there was nobody waiting for it)!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting to Hong Kong Cathay or American for Business Class

The J catering on CX, particularly the main courses, is quite dreadful. as mentioned the seats are the same, service more likely to be "better" in CX but AA has WiFi.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The J catering on CX, particularly the main courses, is quite dreadful.
That seems a bit harsh...I've always enjoyed the J meal options on CX. My long-haul reference points are AA J/F, BA J, LH J/F, NH J, UA J/F, LX J, and FWIW AI J. I'd rank, at least as far as mains go, LH and BA near the bottom and AA and NH near the top - considering presentation, and food quality. No commentary on wines as I can barely tell whether it comes from a box or a bottle. (AI ranks below the bottom in terms of presentation, but very acceptable in terms of food flavor/content)

But that's just me.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
CX, no contest.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Although I am curious about the new DFW HKG service, my vote is for CX
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:40 am

amazed at the nuanced answers

A couple of you seem to have the same opinion as me: "CX hands down". Food, toilets, duvets (yes the seats are the same but the thin plastic American blankets don't come close to the big puffy duvets in CX J), movie selection, superhandsome FAs and the food! The food! Dessert trolley. A cheese course with grapes and port. AA? You can update your Facebook page.

Suggestion: US PHL to YYZ, then CX 829 to HKG. CX829 leaves Toronto at 01:30am, arrives HKG 05:00. You might not have considered this and my experience has been good, finding availability CX J YYZ-HKG-YYZ.

YMMV
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
That seems a bit harsh...
Maybe a little harsh, but I've always found their casserole dishes a mushy mess. General commentary on the CX forum corroborates that they're not good, and it shouldn't be that hard to find pics on airlinemeals.net. That said, I haven't been in AA 3-class J in a number of years (been taking BA to London), and I don't think AA's mains were much to write home about either (they were always better in 2-class J). Further, my point of comparison for CX was usually Continental on EWR-HKG. A few years ago, I was doing this route several times per year, and I spread it out for FF purposes. I much prefered the old CO catering, which I understand isn't what it used to be. And also, the catering schedule on CX can be wonky. I think they go back and forth on it, but I've always had the main meal upon departure and the second meal mid-way through flight (which you can miss if you're sleeping). Then by the time you're getting close to arrival, and you're hungry, most of the snacks are gone. CO did the main meals at the beginning and end of the flight, with a substantial snack service in the middle, but able to be served on-demand. I'm not sure what AA does, I've never been on one of their ultra long-hauls to Asia.

Of course, for some people, catering isn't that high of a priority, but since the seats are the same here, it does really come down to the "little" stuff.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"AA: You can update your Facebook page." ROFL! Well, I guess they know why you fly!

As much as I like AA, I think you have won the prize for your answer here. A nice comfy overnight sleep, breakfast, then ready to have a full day in Hongkers when one arrives. Of course, if it's this winter, getting out of PHL is possibly going to be the trickiest point of all.

Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
A couple of you seem to have the same opinion as me: "CX hands down". Food, toilets, duvets (yes the seats are the same but the thin plastic American blankets don't come close to the big puffy duvets in CX J), movie selection, superhandsome FAs and the food! The food! Dessert trolley. A cheese course with grapes and port. AA? You can update your Facebook page.

Suggestion: US PHL to YYZ, then CX 829 to HKG. CX829 leaves Toronto at 01:30am, arrives HKG 05:00. You might not have considered this and my experience has been good, finding availability CX J YYZ-HKG-YYZ.

YMMV
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The J catering on CX, particularly the main courses, is quite dreadful.
I agree, the food is generally cheap and dull (also salty). An example of the lack of imagination is the packaged Haagen-Dazs icecream instead of a more creative dessert.

The exception, already noted by another poster, is the noodle soup 'snack', which is excellent for airplane food.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I haven't flown AA on this route, but CX has never let me down, yet. As long as you're getting the new J seats, anyway. I wasn't much of a fan of the old style seats in J. The F seats are my favorite.

I can't think of a good reason, other than cost/availability that I'd take any US carrier over CX, SQ, or similar.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I cant imagine why you wouldn't shell out the 12,500 miles to fly CX F, which is arguably one of the best out there. Unless there is no availability...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by exmike
I cant imagine why you wouldn't shell out the 12,500 miles to fly CX F, which is arguably one of the best out there. Unless there is no availability...
+1- the best value per mile going on either airline for a flight this long.

The OP references EWR-HKG on CX. UA serves this route, CX NYC service is to JFK.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I agree, the food is generally cheap and dull (also salty). An example of the lack of imagination is the packaged Haagen-Dazs icecream instead of a more creative dessert.
Pretty sure that's just for a snack. I've always had a slice of cake for desert with the main meal in J, and that's usually pretty good. As are the starters, usually, my "beef" is really just with the main courses. Was looking through some old photos yesterday of various travels, and I just have to reiterate my view...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.