Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottle of Champagne for my Birthday from AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Bottle of Champagne for my Birthday from AA

Thought Id share a nice experience with everyne.Today I had a flight from YYZ-LGA. I was seated in buisness class and my wife and I were talking with the FA , she mentioned it was my birthday.
As we were exiting after the flight , she had in a shopping bag , a closed bottle of champagne and said "Happy Birthday." I guess the bottle was for the flight and being there were only 4 seats up front and no one was drinking that early , maybe thats why she gave it to me.Anyhow , I thought it was very very nice of them.

[This message has been edited by SkyMike (edited 09-30-2002).]
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:55 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Happy B-day.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but you might want to edit out some of the detials. AA could easily figure out who gave away the goods from your post. I'm pretty sure they're not "allowed" to do that. Especially with all the belt tightening going on right now

Flip
Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:27 pm

Good one!

Reminds me of flying to NRT from SEA with my girlfriend in NW WBC - the head FA came up to us before take off and asked if we were on our honeymoon. For kicks we said yes. After take off he opened a bottle of champagne and set it on the try table so we could pour ourselves. Arriving in NRT he wrapped up another bottle "for later" - we ended up drinking it on NYEve in Thailand.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 1:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Happy B-day.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but you might want to edit out some of the detials. AA could easily figure out who gave away the goods from your post. I'm pretty sure they're not "allowed" to do that. Especially with all the belt tightening going on right now

Flip
</font>

Flip,

you aren't being paranoid. Happy Birthday Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. We have been receiving a vast amount of e-mails lately telling us not to give away the goods. If anyone else encounters this, do us a favor and enjoy it in silence. You were probably a very nice passenger and the FA wanted to help you celebrate your birthday. AA doesn't quite look at it so benevolently.

Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Received a bottle of champagne from a FA after getting engaged. Was returning (solo) from a Euro vacation and recognized the FA from a flight a few months previous. Was telling her the story and she gave me a bottle when exiting the plane. Would have been a better gift to get the bottle when we broke off the engagement!!!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:13 pm

It is nice that you received a bottle of champagne from a flight attendant. It is not wise to mention that on this board as it could cost the flight attendant his/her job. "To Go Bags" are strictly prohibited and American can lose their onboard liquor license for this type of behavior.

American's Liquor license is for onboard consumption only.

By the Way, Happy Birthday

Wayne
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanx Wayne and others for the birthday wished.
Sorry about the slip up and posting it up on this board.

Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I recently experienced something even better and apparently it was allowed. I checked in for a flight and was told I owed a $100.00 "change fee" for coming home a day later. I said, (with a big smile,) "You would actually charge a guy a "change fee" on his 50th birthday?" The agent asked to see my ID (a second time) and said, "Wow, it really is your 50th birthday!" She waived the fee and actually entered, "50th birthday" into the computer for the reason the fee was waived. But I was kicking myself later for forgetting to give her an SOS.

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 09-30-2002).]
Old Oct 1, 2002, 6:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Happy B-day.

Flip
</font>
Flip you are absolutely right. I would imagine that is probably a fireable offense in the airline. It is usually done most discretely and whilst I know that you meant this in the most positive way, less benevolent eye can and do read these things.

May I further suggest that we all be cautious in mentioning FA names and flight numbers as we all know what AA do with some if their employees, and they are probably all feeling a little insecure at this time.

Belatedly Happy Birthday SkyMike

Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:06 am

The same thing happened to me. Nice surprise.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/010037.html
Old Oct 1, 2002, 11:42 am

Location: AA: EXP. 2MM; BA: Silver; HH: Diamond; Starwood: Platinum
I had a fun - yet very embarrassing - experience on my birthday. I was flying with my partner to LA for the weekend. I figured since I was turning the big [ ]that what better place to spend it then at Disneyland!

Anyway, during the flight, the pilot came on to point out those landmarks that you're either on the wrong side of the plane to see or it just never seems to be all that visible.

So he says "If you look out the right side, you can make out the [blah blah blah] and if you now look in seat XX, you'll see Eric who just tuned XX (he even said the age!!)today! Happy Birthday!"

Of course I turned deep red and the entire plane applauded and was looking at me. The FA's brought us complimentary cocktails for the rest of the flight.

Old Oct 1, 2002, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I had three flights on my birthday. Told the gate agent it was my birthday, showed my ID and voila, got three OP UPGRADES. Made my day. Offering them my flowers that I did not want to travel with sure helped soften them up first.

Happy Birthday to ME!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.