can purchased upgrades be exchanged for miles?

Old Oct 1, 02, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
can purchased upgrades be exchanged for miles?

hi.

i did a search and couldn't find anything on this; i'm a lowly GLD and have qualified through 02/04. i've been planning to purchase some upgrades, but the uncertainty in my future means i might not requalify next year, especially living in NYC and with my travel limited to strictly domestic routings. (No, i don't want to talk about it here.)

anyhow, if, God forbid, things don't work out, will i be able to swap the purchase dupgrades back for 500 miles like i can with my earned ones? i think i'll use them, but you never can tell.

thanks in advance. and yes, i realize the answer could change. i just mean right now.
Old Oct 1, 02, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Purchased upgrades cannot be exchanged.

On the positive side, they don't expire, so if and when you ever requalify, they'll be ready. Also, non-elites can use them to upgrade from full Y fares.
Old Oct 1, 02, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I don't want to anticipate what AA might do (they don't listen to me anyhow, more's the pity) but this is one thing that I suspect may change. The reason you couldn't exchange purchased ones in the past was that, at 2,500 miles per, it would have been a back door to purchase cheap miles. At 500 miles per, the price works out to 6-10 per mile or so, depending on your elite level and whether you bought them one at a time or in batches. At those prices, someone who wanted to buy miles would just buy the miles. So they may become more willing to let you trade them in, especially in a situation like this where the ability to use them, while it hasn't totally gone away, has unarguably taken a major nose-dive.

Search this Thread