Will F Sell Out in a Week? ORD-SFO #47 on a 763.

Old Sep 27, 02, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Will F Sell Out in a Week? ORD-SFO #47 on a 763.

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience upgrading on ORD-SFO #47, a 3-class 763 sold as two class. While I like the C-seats for the price of Coach, I really wouldn't mind the nice meal up front.

I checked the availability for next Friday, Oct 4, today, and noticed that there were 5 seats "available".

Of those 5 seats, how many are in the upgrade class inventory?

If you've flown this route/flight frequently, in your experience do you find only ultra high tier PLTs and EXPs get the upgrades since F is very small @ 10 seats? Is the upgrade chance very slim for a lowly PLT?
Old Sep 27, 02, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly it regularly, and I'd say they're pretty low. There's a bunch of international connections into that flight, and all paid first and business class tickets are squeezed into that (relatively) small cabin. I've actually been unable to get a seat there on a paid int'l business class fare as an EXP!

BTW, checking on a CRS, there are currently only 3 F seats available, and none in A (discount first).

As far as food, make sure you're well-prepared for the "dinner" -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/014568.html
Old Sep 27, 02, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
From my experience, this is one of the more challenging flights for upgrades (and on time performance...)

Old Sep 27, 02, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Well, thanks for the candor. I'm wishing for the best! (Want to try those danged 92" coffins!)
Old Sep 27, 02, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, forgot to mention that this flight suffers from a high rate of substuitutions to either a 757 or a 738. If a 767 scheduled for Europe goes off-line, the replacement 763 will come from this flight, and you will end up with a spare 757 or a 738.

Also, as noted above, many times the 763 is slow in arriving from terminal 5 or the hangar, and the plane departs late. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, in July this flight was on average 22 minutes late to depart the terminal. It arrived "late" (15+ minutes after schedule) 35% of the time, and for those flights the departure delay was 57 minutes.
Old Sep 27, 02, 3:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hillrider:
BTW, forgot to mention that this flight suffers from a high rate of substuitutions to either a 757 or a 738. If a 767 scheduled for Europe goes off-line, the replacement 763 will come from this flight, and you will end up with a spare 757 or a 738.
</font>
When it is substituted by a 757 or 737, often there aren't enough seats on the replacement aircraft for passengers in coach since there are many more coach seats on the 767. This is especially a problem if the the flight is full or nearly full. So though those who had a seat reserved on the 767 in rows 7-11 will be out of luck, a few coach passengers will be give operational upgrades if there are not enough seats in coach on the replacement aircraft and considering there are many more first class seats on the 757/737 than on the 767 (22/20 vs. 10)
Old Sep 27, 02, 8:48 pm

I take it all the time and have always been able to be upgraded. But, then, I'm usually in the middle of the week. My "always" is, I believe, 4 for 4. Probably a statistical aberrancy.

------------------
AAExecPlat; Lifetime AAirpass; 3MillMiles; UApremier-PassPlus

Search this Thread