ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012

Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:25 pm

A few weeks ago, DFW to Austin, Dan Rather got on the airplane, this was right before CBS admitted that they might have a little problem... He was real nice, sat in the bulkhead FC, not pretentious, and about a third of the folks in FC seemed to know and like him.

Some years ago, sat next to Angelo Dundee on a flight -- had a great discussion. At the time I didn't know who he was.

For a bunch of flights from Love to Austin on WN, Laura Bush was on the the same flight going back home, this was around 1999-2000, on Monday afternoons. What a neat down-to-earth person.

Last edited by kerflumexed; Jun 5, 2005 at 7:43 am
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:46 am

AA FL lounge, Heathrow, T3, 10 mins ago.

Had a nice conversation with LaToya Jackson. She noticed my Louis Vuitton bags and called me over to find out where I purchased a particular style. Nice lady. She's on the flight to LA this morning.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:13 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
AA has gone to the dogs

Anyone who complains about FT'ers not using the search, please note that I searched until I found an exact discussion... from three years ago.
---
Imagine my shock when the preboarding of AA 1533 FLL-LAX yesterday included a trainer and his full sized Greman Shepherd. On our completely full flight 11 A B C were occupied by these two travelers (757 aircraft 3+3 in coach). I am assuming that someone had purchased two seats for the dog since it was laying on A and B for the duration of the flight while the trainer opted for the aisle.

Anyone with pet complaints (allergies, etc.) feel free to use this as an example in future discussions.

Sam
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Other dogs that are invariably granted cabin access are assistance dogs (working class dogs, as opposed to celebrity dogs, poochie vs. pucci, ) of various types. Folks with allergies to dog hair or dander should definitely request a seat reassignment - or ask someone who is not allergic (FA could help with this,) to trade.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 4, 2004 at 10:57 am Reason: duh speling
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
In the 80s when I was a programmer for AA in TUL and DFW, we had a blind programmer and he and his service dog used his flight benefits extensively. They always had a bulkhead seat so Ross (the dog (It's terrible; I can't remember the programmer's name. )) could lay at his owner's feet. Ross was very popular.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I hope AA thoroughly cleaned the hair and filth from those seats left behind by that mutt before the next flight on that plane. Imagine sitting down in those seats in a dark suit and getting that crap all over your clothes.

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
Anyone who complains about FT'ers not using the search, please note that I searched until I found an exact discussion... from three years ago.
---
Imagine my shock when the preboarding of AA 1533 FLL-LAX yesterday included a trainer and his full sized Greman Shepherd. On our completely full flight 11 A B C were occupied by these two travelers (757 aircraft 3+3 in coach). I am assuming that someone had purchased two seats for the dog since it was laying on A and B for the duration of the flight while the trainer opted for the aisle.

Anyone with pet complaints (allergies, etc.) feel free to use this as an example in future discussions.

Sam
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find that after I have a couple of cocktails, those dogs start to look pretty darn attractive.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mwhitted
In the 80s when I was a programmer for AA in TUL and DFW, we had a blind programmer and he and his service dog used his flight benefits extensively. They always had a bulkhead seat so Ross (the dog (It's terrible; I can't remember the programmer's name. )) could lay at his owner's feet. Ross was very popular.
I flew last month from RNO to LAX on an AS codeshare flight and while checking in noticed a dude with a service dog. While I was waiting in the departure area he came and sat nearby with the dog. The dog was well behaved and the dude offered the lab some water from a bottle. He made a quick phone call during which I overheard him say the check-in agent had upgraded he and his dog to first class.

On boarding he was in the bulkhead of first class with the well-behaved dog at his feet. I didn't hear any barking during the flight so I can only assume it went well for el poocho.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nanook
I know that specially designated service dogs can go in the cabin and don't have to be caged. A woman at my local dog park said I should go to an office nearby who does such things and have my dog certified as a service dog. But my German Shepherd is just too friendly and frisky to be in the cabin...she's sweet but would be a nuisance. I assume even service dogs don't fly for free, so perhaps they have to have a purchased seat.

Actually, I believe service animals do fly for free, as they are necessary to accommodate the blind passengers. You can't say that you charge someone extra for being blind and needing a guide dog. That's descrimination.

I had never thought about allergies on the plane before, but I cam imagine how awful it would be to have severe allergies and be on a full flight next to a dog. I believe I'd demand to be re-routed in that case (although I'm not allergic to pets so that wouldn't be a problem for me).

I remember reading an article about Clay Aiken, who was runner-up on American Idol in Season 2. The article says he always buys a first class seat for his dog when he travels. It's a smaller dog, but still. When I read the thread title, I was wondering if some celebrity had pulled a Clay and bought a ticket for his dog.

I guess dogs have to get back and forth to the movie set too, but I'd hate to be on a transcon with one. I'm not opposed to animals, but I don't want to be cooped up with one for 5 hours either.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BarryO
Along the lines of "non-persons" with paid tickets:

--My brother-in-law once transported a sitar (Indian stringed instrument; he's a musician) by buying a ticket. Ticket read "Mr. Sitar".

--Friend worked as a classified documents courier. Paid ticket for the big duffle full of documents that sat on seat next to him. On one oversold flight, FA tried to get him to put it in overhead; he told her he'd go to jail if he left it out of his sight. 'had to take it with him when he used the restroom (a very tight squeeze).

I always think of the American Express commercial with Andy Roddick, the tennis phenom. He buys 1 seat to the tournament and 2 on the way back as he has images of his trophy getting shoved into an overhead. The funny thing is that he doesn't win and ends up giving the FC seat to a pretty girl. Yeah, that would happen. Anyway, the guy with the trophy is hauling it back to coach. It's a really funny commercial. Makes me laugh every time.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, MR SLVR, HH GLD, etc.
Originally Posted by askworldtraveler
Later I was told the pooch was a 'celebrity' dog - and there are special rules for them.
Any idea who this special dog was? Did you get his pawprint??

Originally Posted by one FA
Nipper and Skipper. Eddie from Frasier. Lassie. All frequent travelers. Always in the forward cabin.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I hope AA thoroughly cleaned the hair and filth from those seats left behind by that mutt before the next flight on that plane. Imagine sitting down in those seats in a dark suit and getting that crap all over your clothes.
First, a German Shepard is not a mutt. Second, why do you assume that there was "filth" on the seats? Most people keep their dogs quite clean, especially people who would bring their dogs into an aircraft cabin. If you're so concerned about keeping your suit clean, don't fly in it -- all kinds of dirt etc. can get on your clothing while on an airplane.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Actually, I believe service animals do fly for free
What if it wasn't a guide dog....

Yes, they have been boarded.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Japhydog
First, a German Shepard is not a mutt. Second, why do you assume that there was "filth" on the seats? Most people keep their dogs quite clean, especially people who would bring their dogs into an aircraft cabin. If you're so concerned about keeping your suit clean, don't fly in it -- all kinds of dirt etc. can get on your clothing while on an airplane.
Most people? Pluuueeeze. And then there's the disgusting shedding of the animal's hair that's going to occur no matter how "clean" the animal is. Every house I have visited where the owner allows a dog or a cat smells of urine. Of course, the homeowner cannot smell it. It's filthy and disgusting.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by askworldtraveler
By the way, it was the childs diaper three rows back that needed changeing....the dog was perfect.(thanks to EXP)
---------------------------------------

Yeah--but at least you can plan for the eventuality of a baby needing to be changed.

What happens when Sparky starts scratching at the main cabin door half way through a transcon flight.....?......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.