New PLT, booked via Concur, can't select preferred or any seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Question New PLT, booked via Concur, can't select preferred or any seat

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who just completed her PLT challenged and just booked her first itinerary on AA gaining her status. She has a corporate trip coming up which she booked via Concur, and preferred seat selection failed at the booking process as well as on her AAdv page. As a result, she has 2 unassigned seats and 2 in Row 24. Itinerary shows as "Ticketed" and the AA website lets her select as usual, but then barfs it up on the final "Submit."

"One or more of the seats you requested is not available." (in bold and red)

Any ideas on why this would happen?

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm Reason: late night grammar numbness
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Has she called AA? When I have problems getting an assigned seat that's usually what I do...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Has she called AA? When I have problems getting an assigned seat that's usually what I do...
That'll be the next step tomorrow morning. As much as I like calling the "PLT Desk" I'm very much a DIYer, so the very notion of not being able to pick seats online irks me.

Plus, I'm curious if the Concur booking had anything to do with it (and I'm sure plenty FTers here have to use it to book their travel for work).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
We used Concur as our booking engine at work for the past few years and I always had to take the AA locator (it's included in the confirmation e-mail) and go to AA.com to select seats (and request upgrades).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by LAXative
That'll be the next step tomorrow morning. As much as I like calling the "PLT Desk" I'm very much a DIYer, so the very notion of not being able to pick seats online irks me.
Agree, I also do everything myself whenever possible. I suppose the difference is what to do next; I'd advise calling to see if they can fix, as you're more likely to get a resolution and some detail on what happened if you do. That said, I'd be curious if there is a Concur issue; in the past I've not had that problem but it's been a while since I've used it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by Microwave
Agree, I also do everything myself whenever possible. I suppose the difference is what to do next; I'd advise calling to see if they can fix, as you're more likely to get a resolution and some detail on what happened if you do. That said, I'd be curious if there is a Concur issue; in the past I've not had that problem but it's been a while since I've used it.
Everytime I book with Concur this happens to me, 65 segments in 2013. I just book and then go to AA.com to select my seats/upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
We used Concur as our booking engine at work for the past few years and I always had to take the AA locator (it's included in the confirmation e-mail) and go to AA.com to select seats (and request upgrades).
My corp travel website is through Orbitz, and that's what I have to do. I'm shown some preferred/MCE seats but fewer than I see on AA.com.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by itchief
Everytime I book with Concur this happens to me, 65 segments in 2013. I just book and then go to AA.com to select my seats/upgrades.
We use Concur as well at my company and I don't even bother selecting seats through it . I will book the trip and select the seats on AA.com. It is a toss up whether my trip will show up on my account or if I have to use the record locator to find my trip before it ties to my account.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:25 pm

I don't use Concur, but my Gold status is a little over a week old, and I've noticed that for some flights, I can't select MCE seats until about 24 hours after it was booked. For other flights I can. It's interesting, I've had reservations with 4 flights, where I can select the seats on two of them, but not on the other two.

On the website, it lets me choose them and shows $0, but then when I try to save it, it gives me the "not available" error. When I look at it in the iPad or iPhone app, it wants to charge me for those seats. I called AA, and was told that the Gold status shows on my account but not the actual flight (the flight I specifically asked about was booked several days after I was made Gold). And the agent claimed she couldn't just give me that seat, but that I'd have to wait until the system let me do it myself. So far it has always worked the next day, so it's not a big deal, but it is kind of annoying. Not sure if this is the same issue.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Concur will select an MCE seat for me if there is one on the aisle or window. If not, it selects an aisle for me in E-. To me this indicates that Concur is smart enough to determine status.

On another hand, some of the agents I speak to think that EXP means that my status has EXPired...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.