Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 8:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

New Debit Card Earning American Airlines AAdvantage Miles

New Debit Card Earning American Airlines AAdvantage Miles
Launch Includes A One Million AAdvantage Mile Grand Prize Sweepstakes

Citibank announced the introduction of the Citibank AAdvantage® Debit Card, which will allow users to receive American Airlines AAdvantage miles for all debit card signature-required purchases, as well as Internet, phone, mail order and point-of-sale debit card purchases when ``credit'' is selected. The card is available to new and existing Citibank checking account customers and will also function as a Citibank ATM card. The card may be used at any of the more than 22 million locations where MasterCard is accepted.

The cards are the first translucent debit cards in the U.S. The Basic Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card has an annual fee of $25.00, earns 1 AAdvantage mile for every $2.00 spent on qualified purchases and allows users to earn up to 60,000 AAdvantage miles per calendar year. The Premium Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card has an annual fee of $65.00, earns 1 AAdvantage mile for every $1.00 spent and affords users the ability to earn up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles per calendar year through qualifying purchases. Cash withdrawal and PIN-based transactions do not earn mileage.

``As the variety of payment options continues to expand, we want to offer customers products that add value to their purchasing behavior. We have a long and successful relationship with the American Airlines AAdvantage program. This allows us to offer our customers who prefer using a debit card the benefits of earning miles with their purchases,'' said Maura Markus, President of Citibanking North America.

``Consumers have told us again and again that earning miles is an incentive they value most. And, now with the new Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card, they can earn AAdvantage miles on purchases made every day,'' said Ed French, President of the AAdvantage Marketing Programs. ``We're also pleased to work with Citibank on this initiative, which complements the family of Citibank AAdvantage products.''

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020123/232263_1.html
Old Jan 23, 2002, 8:26 am

Even though not a fan of Debit card I have to say that the Premium debit card is not that of a bad deal.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:31 am

The story mentions getting up to 10,000 miles for signing up, but I didn't see anything like that on the citi site. Did anyone else?
Old Jan 23, 2002, 4:35 pm

I have no status on AA and only 7,300+ miles in it, but I like Citibank and converted my debit card to the AAdvantage card today.

Call them and did in in a jiffy. I went with the lower plan, too cheap to pay $65.

Old Jan 23, 2002, 4:43 pm

The site mentions only bonuses of 2,000 miles (standard) or 4,000 miles (premium).

Anyone been able to get the scoop on the 10,000 bonus mile offer?

I called Citibank and the operator was unaware of any 10,000 mile promotion.

The press release seemed to indicate that this was a bonus available to those opening a new account.

Hmmmm.....

[This message has been edited by Mikey likes it (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 10:21 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Perhaps we are a wee bit ahead of the curve?

---

The new Citibank-issued AAdvantage debit cards allow users to earn AAdvantage miles for all debit card signature-required purchases, as well as Internet, phone, mail order and point-of- sale debit card purchases when "credit" is selected. Cash withdrawals and PIN-based transactions do NOT earn mileage.

The card comes in 2 versions. The Basic Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card has an annual fee of $25, earns 1 AAdvantage mile for every $2 spent on qualified purchases, and allows users to earn up to 60,000 miles per calendar year. The Premium Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card has an annual fee of $65, earns 1 mile for every $1 spent, up to 100,000 miles per calendar year.

New customers will receive up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles for opening a Citibank checking account with a Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card. Existing customers can receive either 2,000 or 4,000 bonus AAdvantage miles respectively for converting to either a Basic Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card or a Premium Citibank AAdvantage Debit Card.

http://www.citibankonline.com
Old Jan 24, 2002, 4:41 pm

I went through the steps to open an account. On one page there is a "special offer code" box.

That's what we need. I'll share it if I find it.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
As I already have the AA World Master Card and a Citibank account, you would think there might be a discount. I asked at a branch and they said no. Right now I charge everything I can on the credit card and pay it when I get the bill. Using the debit card would be fine, but I am certainly not going to pay $50 for the Credit Card PLUS $65 for the debit card.

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by dougef (edited 01-24-2002).]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 5:43 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
There was a full-page ad in today's (1/24) NY Times 'A' section. Alas, I've already recycled it, but I remember it also mentioned the 4,000 bonus miles, with a $1:1 mile award. Good luck on trying to get more bonus miles, but I imagine it'll probably be a targeted campaign.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 6:37 pm

I found the 10k offer. It's 6k for opening the account and 4k for the card. Look at https://citi.bridgetrack.com/cbol/aa...cbol_offer.htm
You don't even have to get the debit card.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 7:51 pm

why would anyone even want a debit card vs the Citi AAdvantage c/c? Why get only 1 mi for every 2 charged? Why not float the money for 30-45 days and earn 1 for 1 with the credit card? And still, if you buy into the 1 for 1 mile program on the premium debit card you are still having to pay the charge at the time of purchase. If you want to increased earning limit of 100k miles just get the Citigold card.

Usermark, thanks for the link on the on line checking account.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 8:17 pm

Programs: United Platinum ~ AA Lifetime Gold 1.3 MM ~ Marriott Gold ~ Hyatt Diamond
I'm kind of disapointed that some of the bringtest minds of Flyert talk haven't said anything about this...

How about...
Charge your credit card like you always use, at the end of the month, when the time comes to pay the credit card, go to the post office, and buy money orders (I belive the limit is $700 per money order) and pay with your debit card...

I believe it can be done, and it should be an easy way to get double miles...

Has anyone else tried this already...?
Otherwise, I don't see a reason to get yet another card...
Old Feb 5, 2002, 8:35 pm

edited

Last edited by hoieunkim; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:00 am
Old Feb 5, 2002, 8:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mikey likes it:
I went through the steps to open an account. On one page there is a "special offer code" box.

That's what we need. I'll share it if I find it.
</font>
The code is CA25. As posted by singlemalt
in Milesbuzz, there is also a million mile contest that is very easy to enter:

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/cbol/aadebit/

The 6000 miles is for opening an account AND paying a bill online each month for 6 months.

I don't usually use debit cards because I like the float (and miles) from credit cards and I pay in full each month. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most debit card transactions require a PIN (e.g. grocery stores)?

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 02-05-2002).]
Old Feb 5, 2002, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:

I don't usually use debit cards because I like the float (and miles) from credit cards and I pay in full each month. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most debit card transactions require a PIN (e.g. grocery stores)?
</font>
No, if you use your debit card like a credit card, there's no PIN required. If you select the ATM card option on the card reader, then you need your PIN.

FYI, there was a news item a couple weeks ago saying that in NYC people were somehow getting ahold of other people's debit card numbers and PINs (probably at delis) and cloning debit cards. Then they could make purchases around the city with the fake cards or withdraw cash, no problem.

I was in Citibank on Monday and some guy came in complaining about exactly this problem. (The moral of the story is you and your cash are best protected by using credit cards, which offer a buffer between fraud and the cash in your checking account.)

d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.