Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I just buy an upgrade coupon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Can I just buy an upgrade coupon?

My girlfriend and I have a return MAD-MIA-SJO flight coming up at the end of January. We are booked in discounted economy, it's O class. I have Gold BA status so have got MCE seats already booked. Is there any way of taking advantage of some of the AA upgrade coupons I can see for trade in the Coupon Connection part of FT?

If so, which ones are of use and how would I go about using them?
Would I need to set up an AA account, and if so would that mean I would have to put the miles earned in it and lose my MCE seats?

I have know idea how much such a thing should be worth, and I probably can't afford it anyway, but I was curious how would work.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you're talking about are the Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs), formerly called eVIPs, VIP03s, VIPOWs, etc.

What are they worth? A one-way upgrade for your trip would be 25k miles plus $350, or 50k miles plus $700 for the both of you. Speaking of which - have you looked into the upgrade for miles plus cash option?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If expiring soon, $200 or less.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Buying, or even legally acquiring, a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU (it's not a coupon) will not guarantee anything unless the required upgrade class seats are available. You may want to read What's a Systemwide Upgrade SWU VIP eVIP SWUs, questions etc. (2012 on, consolidated) before you decide.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Thanks for the quick replies, now I know what they're called I will do some more research. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Also be aware that trading - ANYTHING of value exchanged - is against the T&C for the SWU. In order to protect the value of the product AA does actively police use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.