Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award flight cancelled due to schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I'm not sure that this comment is relevant, but last March I used AA miles to book award travel BWI-JFK-TXL-STR with the first flight on AA and the others on AB. My BWI-JFK flight was delayed for several hours, so the connection at JFK became impossible. After consultation with a supervisor, the very helpful AA agent at BWI offered to put me on BA flights BWI-LHR-STR with no extra charge. I chose a different option, for various reasons, but the offer was made.

Last edited by JPG3392; Feb 27, 2014 at 6:55 am Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA MM Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by JPG3392
I'm not sure that this comments relevant, but last March I used AA miles to book award travel BWI-JFK-TXL-STR with the first flight on AA and the others on AB. My BWI-JFK flight was delayed for several hours, so the connection at JFK became impossible. After consultation with a supervisor, the very helpful AA agent at BWI offered to put me on BA flights BWI-LHR-STR with no extra charge. I chose a different option, for various reasons, but the offer was made.
Yeah, the manager seemed to imply that if this was within a day or so of the flights, there would be different options. Did your delay happen day of?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by dazza189
Yeah, the manager seemed to imply that if this was within a day or so of the flights, there would be different options.
That is exactly the position I have understood AA to take. Whether that position is lawful, we do not yet know. I stand prepared to argue that, broadly, it is not.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:00 pm

What about this page - https://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booki...40_80.jsp#2hrs

Doesn't rule 80 seem to apply here?

Rule 80 International tariff rules which state AA's obligations to our customers when their flights are changed or canceled as a result of Schedule Change(s)/Irregularities.

Rule 80 applies to all international travel except travel between the U.S. and Canada and/or between the U.S. and Puerto Rico /U.S. Virgin Islands.

Rule 80 protects all ticketed customers including AAdvantage, AA codeshare and Travel Agents free/reduced rate.

AAirpass® tickets should be handled in the same manner as revenue tickets and are considered ticketed at all times.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:08 pm

The relevant section of that document is here:

AA Schedule Change
All American, American Eagle, American Connection Flights
American Airlines has a Schedule Change - AA Flights
91 minutes and greater
If no AA flights are available may select an alternate flight on AA* (AA codeshare) maintaining same inventory, origin/destination, fare and fare basis as originally ticketed.

Here, the original poster wants to take an AA* flight, AA codeshare on the BA morning flight. Same fare basis (award bucket) is indeed available.

This stated policy could form part of the original poster's argument against AA. AA's general tariff and prior statements to DOT (including when seeking antitrust immunity with BA) could also form part of his argument. Lots of sources of authority here.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bedelman
If no AA flights are available may select an alternate flight on AA* (AA codeshare) maintaining same inventory, origin/destination, fare and fare basis as originally ticketed.

Here, the original poster wants to take an AA* flight, AA codeshare on the BA morning flight. Same fare basis (award bucket) is indeed available.
There is no X class on the AA codeshare; it needs to be booked ( as it is currently held ) on the BA flight number
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no X class on the AA codeshare; it needs to be booked ( as it is currently held ) on the BA flight number
Well it was originally T class on AA metal - then moved to X class on BA.

Doesn't this part of rule 80 kick in?

If no AA flights are available may select an alternate flight on a oneworld AA*, if original inventory is not available may book next lowest available inventory, same cabin, up to and including B inventory, excludes W inventory for premium economy on AA*.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

Well it was originally T class on AA metal - then moved to X class on BA.

Doesn't this part of rule 80 kick in?

If no AA flights are available may select an alternate flight on a oneworld AA*, if original inventory is not available may book next lowest available inventory, same cabin, up to and including B inventory, excludes W inventory for premium economy on AA*.
It reads to me that an AA codeshare on a OW airline can be selected

There is no availability for an award flight on the AA codeshare on BA
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:31 pm

It reads to me that an AA codeshare on a OW airline can be selected

There is no availability for an award flight on the AA codeshare on BA
Yeah, I agree with your interpretation. I guess my question would be why does it need to stay as an award class? T presumably is lower than B.
(In fact I believe this is the order - B H K M L W V G S N Q O T)

"may book next lowest available inventory, same cabin, up to and including B inventory"
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:51 pm

Yeah, I agree with your interpretation. I guess my question would be why does it need to stay as an award class? T presumably is lower than B.
(In fact I believe this is the order - B H K M L W V G S N Q O T)

"may book next lowest available inventory, same cabin, up to and including B inventory"
The webpage is not a public information webpage but a page for information for travel agents in what they can do for reaccommodating passengers

A travel agent will not be booking award tickets and so no reason for AA to address the issue of award flights on that page
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:00 pm

A travel agent will not be booking award tickets and so no reason for AA to address the issue of award flights on that page
I agree that travel agents don't book award tickets. But the top of the page specifically indicates that the page covers award tickets. Notice the following in the page's first block of text ("Schedule Change Introduction - General Information"):
Rule 240 protects all ticketed customers including AAdvantage, AA codeshare and Travel Agents free/reduced rate.

Rule 80 protects all ticketed customers including AAdvantage, AA codeshare and Travel Agents free/reduced rate.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Yeah, the manager seemed to imply that if this was within a day or so of the flights, there would be different options. Did your delay happen day of?
Yes. When I checked in for my flight at BWI, the monitor indicated that the flight would be delayed for about 30 minutes. While on my way from the counter to the security lines, I glanced at another monitor and saw that the delay was now 4 hours, so I couldn't make my connection at JFK. After consultation with a supervisor, the agent at the desk offered to put me on BA's BWI-LHR-STR flight later that evening. Since that would have involved waiting at BWI for 5-6 hours and arriving at STR in the late afternoon, I asked if I could wait a day and change the flight to DCA-JFK-DUS-STR. AA agreed immediately.

Last edited by JPG3392; Feb 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may or may not have mentioned this above or in another thread, but I believe this is an abuse of the joint venture's anti-trust immunity. Presumably AA gets half of that "surcharge" for effectively forcing you over to BA because they no longer feel like operating that flight (how convenient for them). It's infuriating to think that AA can get away with this. I'd definitely complain to the DOT and maybe even the DOJ just for good measure...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Actually, we have no idea how much (if any) of the surcharge that AA keeps.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Actually, we have no idea how much (if any) of the surcharge that AA keeps.
But we do know what AA and BA told DOT when they sought the antitrust immunity for the JV. Multiple sections of those filings are quite damning vis-a-vis the practices discussed in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.