Search

Stuck in Miami (MIA) for 4 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - LH - IHG
Stuck in Miami

Hello and Happy New Year,
My wife and me are stuck in Miami due to what AA says weather related issues but we are not going north but flying east to Paris. On the 3rd of January we missed our connection in Miami flying to Paris and coming from Cancun, the best date that AA can give us is Tuesday 7th, this is 4 days later!
When we call AA they say that all flights are full with all the partners!
Can someone help us or give us advise on how to get back home sooner!
Thanks in advance,
Kurt
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Get comfortable in Miami.

I see nothing on AA or BA for the 5th or 6th, into CDG or BRU. I don't see anything for purchase on Delta or AF, either. I don't see any AA to AF connections in the Caribbean, like MIA-SDQ-CDG or MIA-PUJ-CDG.

As well as fighting the typically-full planes of New Year, you have significant weather throughout common connecting points in ORD, JFK and BOS.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Lots of people here will help you, but you need to be more specific!

Why did you miss you connection?
What carrier brought you to Miami?
What carrier are you flying to Paris?
What kind of ticket do you have?

Give more details for better advice.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Can you fly to LHR? AA has a lot of MIA-LHR flights, some direct, some with a single stop.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
The weather has caused all sorts of knock-on effects and hence why it may be causing you problems on a MIA-CDG flight. I've been though something similar. I would tell them that you're happy to take any re-route on any airline or partner that they can find. Tell them to check BA via LHR or IB via MAD. BA have a couple of flights a day. Say you're happy to fly via DFW, ZRH or FRA etc… Its a big rush to get back to Europe this weekend with almost every flight full even before the chaos.

Also, if you're willing, tell them that you're happy to sit on the cabin jump-seat if their policy and crew are happy for you to do so. If they say yes, which they may not, then take your own food and water on board.

When you arrive in CDG, write to AA to see if you can claim some fare back due having to sit on the jump-seat or being re-routed. Long shot but worth it.

Does your travel insurance policy have a delayed flight clause? Some pay out due missed conned for weather etc…

EDIT: And be persistent! I've found airlines might fob you off just to get you out of line. Make them sweat and check everything in front of you without being rude. I was relentless with US Airways a couple of times and got to where I needed to be after they fobbed me off with a 4 day wait. Wasn't easy but I got there after a re-route or two!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Unfortunately, I can't see anything earlier, either. I guess it is weather related insofar as other pax who were supposed to connect via JFK etc have already been rebooked via MIA.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Can you fly to LHR? AA has a lot of MIA-LHR flights, some direct, some with a single stop.
Everything is sold out today (including LHR), and tomorrow looks really, really tight. Even some less traveled options like MIA-RDU-LHR-CDG are booked (which, given current winter weather issues, isn't something I'd try anyway).

Unless the OP has rationale why AA should rebook on a non-AA/OW carrier (which, if it's weather, that won't fly), there really don't appear to be any options.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Hi Onesocialkid,
Why did you miss you connection? Late departure and secondary check with tons of people waiting before me
What carrier brought you to Miami? AA
What carrier are you flying to Paris? AA
What kind of ticket do you have? Mileage points

Can't get to LHR
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:20 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stefdeneff
Hi Onesocialkid,
Why did you miss you connection? Late departure and secondary check with tons of people waiting before me

Can't get to LHR
Did you consider requesting Miami-Dallas-Frankfurt then taking the train to Paris?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Hi Onesocialkid,

Can't get to LHR
What about MAD, ZRH, etc?
With all of the recent weather cancellations it would not surprise me that flights are full. If CUN-MIA was delayed due to weather, than it could mean either the plane or crew was stuck somewhere else.
Are you referring to a secondary immigration check at MIA?
I would agree connecting between 2 international airports is not a very good thing to do via the US, especially if you are not a citizen or permanent resident.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:22 am
Original Poster

We asked for any re-route possible, even Latin and South America called them 10 - 15 times ... This seems so unrealistic !
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Danville 1k, yes we did, even Berlin came up or Brussels.
Mvoight; yes secondaries emigration check ... Learned my lesson!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Why did you miss you connection?
What carrier brought you to Miami?
What carrier are you flying to Paris?
What kind of ticket do you have?

Give more details for better advice.
Commonly that would be a good place to start but those issues aren't relevant when there is no inventory for sale.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Danville 1k, yes we did, even Berlin came up or Brussels.
Mvoight; yes secondaries emigration check ... Learned my lesson!
Unfortunately there aren't any decent alternatives. Do you have an expertflyer subscription? If not, sign up for one now and monitor the flights. Everything is zeroed out - which often happens in the wake of substantial weather disruptions - but its possible that seats may open up this evening/tomorrow.

Also, if you would are willing to split up your party it it might be easier to get you home.

Finally, what cabin are you in: First, Business or Economy?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Unfortunately there aren't any decent alternatives. Do you have an expertflyer subscription? If not, sign up for one now and monitor the flights. Everything is zeroed out - which often happens in the wake of substantial weather disruptions - but its possible that seats may open up this evening/tomorrow.

Also, if you would are willing to split up your party it it might be easier to get you home.

Finally, what cabin are you in: First, Business or Economy?
No I don't have an expert flyer subscription but I will see to get one ASAP, we did indeed propose them to split us up!
We are in economy and I booked my flights with my mileage points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.