OLCI with infant

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
OLCI with infant

Is this possible? For the first six months of her life, I was able to add her to an existing reservation as a lap child, then OLCI as normal. All of a sudden, on each flight, I can't check in because she doesn't have a seat. When I call AA they can sometimes work some magic and get it working, sometimes not.

Has anything changed?

And is there any issue with not adding her prior to arriving at the airport?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lovely15
Is this possible? For the first six months of her life, I was able to add her to an existing reservation as a lap child, then OLCI as normal. All of a sudden, on each flight, I can't check in because she doesn't have a seat. When I call AA they can sometimes work some magic and get it working, sometimes not.

Has anything changed?

And is there any issue with not adding her prior to arriving at the airport?
There was a recent change, but from the little it shows, should have made checking in at a SSM easier, not harder, if anything. The SSM should ask for D.O.B. for the child-- maybe that's what the agents are entering?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Yes - I know I can add her at the SSM now, but would prefer to use OLCI at the 24 hour mark. I haven't been able to figure out if doing OLCI with just me on the reservation then adding her there is ok. Ticket agents kind of shrug at me and won't say one way or the other.

ETA: SSM does ask for DOB but so does my reservation if they add it over the phone - except it's for a completely new person who apparently requires a seat.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lovely15
Yes - I know I can add her at the SSM now, but would prefer to use OLCI at the 24 hour mark. I haven't been able to figure out if doing OLCI with just me on the reservation then adding her there is ok. Ticket agents kind of shrug at me and won't say one way or the other.

ETA: SSM does ask for DOB but so does my reservation if they add it over the phone - except it's for a completely new person who apparently requires a seat.
I'd say with the new SSM functionality, you should -not- add the infant to the PNR, during OLCI just check in yourself and then at her via SSM at airport.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I traveled in domestic F with lap infant earlier this week and it was much smoother than before. I was able to OLCI at T-24 and boarding pass just printed "With Infant" on it.

@JonNYC - could you explain the recent bassinet location/availability change for international flights that you mentioned on TB? The agent I spoke to had no knowledge of any such change.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd say with the new SSM functionality, you should -not- add the infant to the PNR, during OLCI just check in yourself and then at her via SSM at airport.
Isn't there a limit on how many lap children there can be on a flight, perhaps due to life jackets or oxygen masks? If so, then doing it at the airport might be too late.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
Isn't there a limit on how many lap children there can be on a flight, perhaps due to life jackets or oxygen masks? If so, then doing it at the airport might be too late.
Good question, do not know much on the subject.

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
...@JonNYC - could you explain the recent bassinet location/availability change for international flights that you mentioned on TB? The agent I spoke to had no knowledge of any such change.
I do have the complete list of new seat locations for the aircraft but it's in PDF form so I've been to lazy to post it.
I'll try and do a screen grab of it. Not sure just how many seats changed locations but if you post which aircraft type you're on, I'll try and start to put them up.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended

here's that new list (unsure if/how many locations have changed.)

Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
here's that new list (unsure if/how many locations have changed.)
The only change seems to be moving the bassinet-eligible seats from row 11 to row 12 on the reconfigured 767s. Interestingly, the bassinet locations on the reconfigured 777-200 are left out altogether.

I was under the impression that this was an internal document.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I was under the impression that this was an internal document.
I'm under the same impression
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:49 pm

JonNYC - do you know what the bassinet locations on the 77D are? You are very knowledgeable on all this stuff so I figured I'd ask. I have EF alerts in case third seat opens up for baby smilinganddialing on MIA - EZE but so far in Row 20 but looks like it will switch to the 77D. Row 13 seems like the obvious place to be but wanted to confirm.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
JonNYC - do you know what the bassinet locations on the 77D are? You are very knowledgeable on all this stuff so I figured I'd ask. I have EF alerts in case third seat opens up for baby smilinganddialing on MIA - EZE but so far in Row 20 but looks like it will switch to the 77D. Row 13 seems like the obvious place to be but wanted to confirm.
I don't think I've seen anything on the subject, if I run across anything I'll definiteky post it.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:24 pm

Thanks JonNYC.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mvoight
There is a limit to how many lap children can be in a row and in which rows they may be seated on AA planes, with the limit being an indirect consequence of number and placement of extra oxygen masks in the plane and how many seats there are in those rows. And for extended over-water flights, the number of spare life vests is also a factor in the limit.

Some rows have an extra oxygen mask or more (relative to seats in the row), and those are the rows in which lap child infants are to be assigned.

Interestingly enough to me, at least one US airline has had flight cabins where the limit was neither related to the number of oxygen masks nor to the number of spare life vests on board; rather, the limit in those cabins was a mere function of "no more than one lap-child per adult/eligible passenger" and "no lap children in exit rows". Jetblue comes to mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.