Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 7:26 pm

I am traveling from PHL to FRA with US Airways, but want to pay with AA miles. I looked at this award chart. Am I correct in assuming that a round trip ticket from PHL to FRA in first class will cost 130,000 AA miles (62,500 X 2)?
Old May 4, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by commdiver
I am traveling from PHL to FRA with US Airways, but want to pay with AA miles. I looked at this award chart. Am I correct in assuming that a round trip ticket from PHL to FRA in first class will cost 130,000 AA miles (62,500 X 2)?
US does not offer First Class on its TATL flights.

And 62,500 x 2 does not equal 130,000.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:30 am

Hi! I'll be traveling from SAL to YVR on May 12! But I have some questions:

1) I'm a minor, and will be traveling by myself. I won't be using the unaccompanied minor service (I'm like 18 days from now to be 18 yo), but I don't know if I can book the flight online (I don't want to pay any fees )

2) I have a double barreled surname (both my dad's and my mom's last names separated with a space) and I don't know how should I put them in AA Last Name field (both, only one, both without space). In my passport I have both of them.

3) Is it possible to book a flight with business class for just one segment of the flight? The one way ticket is $732, but I'll get a refund up to $700 from my company, so I don't know, if I could take at least one segment with business class haha

Thanks! And excuse me for my English.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

US does not offer First Class on its TATL flights.

And 62,500 x 2 does not equal 130,000.
Ok, now I feel very stupid Sorry.

Ok, Business Class then (or whatever the class in the beginning of the airplane is ). Would 125,000 (62,500 X 2 ) be what it would cost in AA miles to fly business class in US Airways? I just want to see if I am reading that chart correctly.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by commdiver
Ok, now I feel very stupid Sorry.

Ok, Business Class then (or whatever the class in the beginning of the airplane is ). Would 125,000 (62,500 X 2 ) be what it would cost in AA miles to fly business class in US Airways? I just want to see if I am reading that chart correctly.
50,000 x 2 = 100,000

also we say "pointy end" not "beginning of the airplane"
Old May 5, 2014, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
50,000 x 2 = 100,000

also we say "pointy end" not "beginning of the airplane"
Awesome, thank you ^
Old May 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any service charge for calling AAdvantage to fix up a delayed crediting from my citi AA creditcard? I sent them a email and they replies asking me to call their service department (800) 882-8880. thanks,

John
Old May 5, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Martell96
Hi! I'll be traveling from SAL to YVR on May 12! But I have some questions:

1) I'm a minor, and will be traveling by myself. I won't be using the unaccompanied minor service (I'm like 18 days from now to be 18 yo), but I don't know if I can book the flight online (I don't want to pay any fees )
Welcome!

Not 100% sure about AA specifically, but I traveled as a 17-year-old on UA and AS without any problems. I think the airlines require UM service for those around 14 and under, but 17 should be allowed to fly without paying for the UM service.

2) I have a double barreled surname (both my dad's and my mom's last names separated with a space) and I don't know how should I put them in AA Last Name field (both, only one, both without space). In my passport I have both of them.
I'd probably just put your two last names in the last name field with a space. They'll probably be run together on your boarding pass anyway, so it probably won't matter much what you do.

3) Is it possible to book a flight with business class for just one segment of the flight? The one way ticket is $732, but I'll get a refund up to $700 from my company, so I don't know, if I could take at least one segment with business class haha
Typically, your ticket will be fared as a single fare all the way from the originating city to the destination city. Breaking the leg up into some segments in coach and some in business will break that and likely (although not always) cause the fare to jump significantly, as (assuming you want to upgrade the BBB-CCC segment) instead of paying a single AAA-DDD fare, you'd be paying a separate AAA-BBB coach fare, BBB-CCC business fare, and CCC-DDD coach fare. It's also tough to book that, since most booking engines want you to specify "Coach" or "Business" (and, if applicable "First") for the whole search rather than just on a single segment.

However, I'm not super familiar with AA (I just felt compelled to respond as no one else has addressed your question yet), but some airlines will offer you the opportunity to upgrade a single segment at some point after the booking process. United allows you to do such--if you book on United.com, it presents a screen asking if you'd like to upgrade some of your segments after you purchase the ticket, and you can see other upgrade options after that, when you check in, and all the way up until you board the flight (and the price may change at each of those stages). AA may do something similar or they may not; you'll have to either look for it on your own or wait for someone here to post another response.

Thanks! And excuse me for my English.
Your English looks fine to me.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:47 am

Hi all-I'm a frequent flyer newbie, having just got Gold status on American last year for the first time ever. I am now longing to claw my way up to a higher tier to improve my lot. I have enough flights booked for this year together me to Platinum, so now I'm thinking about Mileage running to get up to Executive Platinum level so as to get some of those SWUs. I don't have a ton of time to take a bunch of domestic flights, so I would prefer to take a couple long international flights to get the bulk of those miles. My dream would be to be able to buy a coach seat and then use points to upgrade to business class, but I can't seem to find any C inventory seats. Is there a way to search for C inventory seats to upgrade considering that I don't really care where I go? Also, if I had SWUs, do they require C inventory seats as well? How hard is it to use the SWU's internationally? I'm worried that I will go all out to get the SWUs then won't be able to use them. Any help is appreciated!
Old May 5, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Westereight
Hi all-I'm a frequent flyer newbie, having just got Gold status on American last year for the first time ever. I am now longing to claw my way up to a higher tier to improve my lot. I have enough flights booked for this year together me to Platinum, so now I'm thinking about Mileage running to get up to Executive Platinum level so as to get some of those SWUs. I don't have a ton of time to take a bunch of domestic flights, so I would prefer to take a couple long international flights to get the bulk of those miles. My dream would be to be able to buy a coach seat and then use points to upgrade to business class, but I can't seem to find any C inventory seats. Is there a way to search for C inventory seats to upgrade considering that I don't really care where I go? Also, if I had SWUs, do they require C inventory seats as well? How hard is it to use the SWU's internationally? I'm worried that I will go all out to get the SWUs then won't be able to use them. Any help is appreciated!
ExpertFlyer will show C inventory. It has a free 5 day trial for you to do your searching if you don't want to pay for it.

This thread might be worth a read if you're worried about your SWUs clearing. Advance C inventory has been harder to come by, but it's not nonexistant, and they still have a good chance of clearing if you waitlist. Depends on the routes you will be flying though.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...it-listed.html

Last edited by Apieinthesky; May 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reason: forgot to include thread
Old May 5, 2014, 12:11 pm

apie, I bought a membership on Expert Flyer. That's where I've been searching. I will just put in random dates and routes and I've found nothing. Any idea of what I could search to find it?
Old May 5, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Westereight
apie, I bought a membership on Expert Flyer. That's where I've been searching. I will just put in random dates and routes and I've found nothing. Any idea of what I could search to find it?
Let me know your dates and I can try to look for you. I also don't really know if there's any place you need to start, or you really don't care. First routes I would try are ORD-LHR and ORD-DUS, just based on personal experience, with the vast majority of my int'l travel to Europe. Just with a quick search of ORD-DUS in July, I find C inventory on: 7/15, 7/21, 7/27. Summer is of course, high season to Europe (so your dates would really be helpful). I've found there to be plenty of C inventory ORD-HEL when that flight is running.

Since I don't have too much personal experience with loads on a lot of international routes, you can try posting the question "What routes, in your experience, have had the lightest loads/most C inventory/most likely for upgrades to clear?" to our other members in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-2013-a.html

Also, I idiotically forgot to include the link of the thread I suggested that you read in my earlier post. I will edit it to include it. SWUs work the same way as miles+copay (except without the region limitation), with the same priority and confirm into the C bucket.

(by the way, its Apieinthesky )

Pie

Last edited by Apieinthesky; May 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: added info
Old May 5, 2014, 2:20 pm

Urgent help needed for exec platinum active trip

My husband is an AA executive platinum member. We are currently in Costa Rica on a trip paid for with AA frequent flyer miles. My mother in law was just admitted to the cardiac unit in a hospital in Panama City Florida. We want to get there as soon as possible. I couldn't find an email address to reach the executive platinum desk, and we don't have phone access, so I'm asking here.

Questions: 1) does anyone know of an email address to reach the executive platinum desk? 2) since we are on an existing AA trip scheduled for departure from San Jose Costa Rica to MIA to RDU on May 7, can we change our return trip to fly to Panama City, Florida instead of our current destination of RDU?

My husband plans to fly all the way home to RDU, and then book a separate flight to get to Panama City which costs >$500.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Webster7
My husband is an AA executive platinum member. We are currently in Costa Rica on a trip paid for with AA frequent flyer miles. My mother in law was just admitted to the cardiac unit in a hospital in Panama City Florida. We want to get there as soon as possible. I couldn't find an email address to reach the executive platinum desk, and we don't have phone access, so I'm asking here.

Questions: 1) does anyone know of an email address to reach the executive platinum desk? 2) since we are on an existing AA trip scheduled for departure from San Jose Costa Rica to MIA to RDU on May 7, can we change our return trip to fly to Panama City, Florida instead of our current destination of RDU?

My husband plans to fly all the way home to RDU, and then book a separate flight to get to Panama City which costs >$500.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
If your trip was booked with miles from your husband's (EXP) account, then you can change your return to Panama City for no charge. If they were booked from a non-EXP account, then you'd have to pay the $150 fee to change. You of course need award availability on the new flights.

There is no way to email the EXP desk for what you need that I know of. If you have internet but no phone, I'd try getting a Skype account.

Alternatively, you could go online to aa.com and book new return flights (presumably on May 6). As soon as you get back to the US with phone access, call and cancel your original return flights so you can get your miles back.

Good luck...
Old May 5, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Through (direct) flights, SWUs, and mileage

Hello, looking for some collective wisdom from the AA board experts:

I have 2 questions regarding a through (or "direct") flight on AA metal (LHR-DFW-SMF on AA79 if it matters). 2 PAX, Same PNR, one is an EXP. the other has no status; V fare class:

1. How does AA calculate the miles earned? LHR-DFW-SMF (I.e. 4752+1434 = 6186) or LHR-SMF (5282 according to great circle mapper)?
2. Since this goes into the system as a single (through) flight and assuming space is available, does AA clear the UG on the LHR-DFW leg even if the second leg has not cleared at the time of departure from LHR or does failure to clear the second leg prevent the TATL leg from clearing?

Thanks in advance

Lurker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.