Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended

I have an award ticket booked next week but its looking like a family illness might force me to stick around for a little while longer. What's the policy with AA on cancellations? Any chance I could get them to credit me back the miles? I don't really give a crap about the $20.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:57 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I have an award ticket booked next week but its looking like a family illness might force me to stick around for a little while longer. What's the policy with AA on cancellations? Any chance I could get them to credit me back the miles? I don't really give a crap about the $20.
There is a redeposit fee of $150.

You can also reschedule for no charge. Just need to find flights with award availability
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL

You can also reschedule for no charge. Just need to find flights with award availability
Crap, that's more than it would cost me to generate the miles.

Are they flexible with the rebooking? Could I get a ticket and then recancel it again? I'm not exactly sure when I would be able to leave.

Also, does it have to be the exact same ticket, or can it be a different flight so long as its on the same award schedule?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HNL

Crap, that's more than it would cost me to generate the miles.

Are they flexible with the rebooking? Could I get a ticket and then recancel it again? I'm not exactly sure when I would be able to leave.

Also, does it have to be the exact same ticket, or can it be a different flight so long as its on the same award schedule?
You can change the dates/times of travel without charge as often as you want, but all travel must be completed within one year of original ticketing date. You can also change the routing (depending on whether you are changing any of the carriers on the itinerary), but changes to the origin and/or destination airport require payment of the $150 fee.

You can also drop the beginning and/or ending segments on an award without charge, as long as you do not change the country of origin. For example, a PHX-DFW-MAD-FCO award can be converted to a DFW-MAD award without charge.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can change the dates/times of travel without charge as often as you want, but all travel must be completed within one year of original ticketing date. You can also change the routing (depending on whether you are changing any of the carriers on the itinerary), but changes to the origin and/or destination airport require payment of the $150 fee.

You can also drop the beginning and/or ending segments on an award without charge, as long as you do not change the country of origin. For example, a PHX-DFW-MAD-FCO award can be converted to a DFW-MAD award without charge.
Ugh. Dammit.

Do they ever waive the fee? I don't have status but I do have the AA Visa.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

"Do they ever waive the fee?"

Highly unlikely. The fee is not even waived for AAdvantage Gold and Platinum members; only for Executive Platinum.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

I figured as much. Ah well, it was worth a shot.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:26 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Greetings all,

Looks like I will be spending 9+ months in London starting Sep 2014. I realize this will be a total no-brainer answer for most but I don't have any experience with more 'complex' bookings. Please forgive my total ignorance!

Is it permissible to book an award ticket WITHIN a paid booking?
For instance, if I fly:

September '14: US-London on AA (outbound paid)
December '14: London-Hong Kong on BA/CX (one-way award)
January '15: Hong Kong- London on BA/CX (one-way award)
June '15: London-US on AA (return paid)

Additionally, would I be OK to book other paid flights (with BA or other OW partners) within the original paid RT ticket?

Thanks so much! Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:40 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pH
Greetings all,

Looks like I will be spending 9+ months in London starting Sep 2014. I realize this will be a total no-brainer answer for most but I don't have any experience with more 'complex' bookings. Please forgive my total ignorance!

For instance, if I fly:

Additionally, would I be OK to book other paid flights (with BA or other OW partners) within the original paid RT ticket?

Thanks so much! Cheers!
Yes you can book the flights as you described.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by pH
Greetings all,

For instance, if I fly:

Thanks so much! Cheers!
I presume you mean to book separate award and paid bookings. If so, that's definitely OK. The same is true for additional paid trips. If you want the award and paid trips on the same reservation, that's not possible, but there's no reason to try that here.

I'm guessing that you're worried AA might flag you for nested itineraries or trying to circumvent minimum stay requirements. This is not usually alerted if the trips look reasonable are aren't violating any fare rules. Your trips seem to fit both categories for OKness.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:48 pm
pH

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I presume you mean to book separate award and paid bookings. If so, that's definitely OK. The same is true for additional paid trips. If you want the award and paid trips on the same reservation, that's not possible, but there's no reason to try that here.

I'm guessing that you're worried AA might flag you for nested itineraries or trying to circumvent minimum stay requirements. This is not usually alerted if the trips look reasonable are aren't violating any fare rules. Your trips seem to fit both categories for OKness.
Yes indeed. Don't want to break any fare rules that would leave me without a return. Any paid trips would likely be weekends within those 9 mos. I didn't see anything in the fare rules but I am not yet fluent in the "rule-lish" language.

Thanks so much to you and HNL!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Yes.
Thank you. How long after crossing the threshold do the 4 upgrade stickers post to the account?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I have an award ticket booked next week but its looking like a family illness might force me to stick around for a little while longer.
You should be able to park the ticket value/mileage if you don't have specific backup travel dates in mind. I did that with a London ticket two years ago when a family emergency had me cancel the trip the night before departure and I had no idea when I would be able to travel. Just let AA know you can't use it for now and will call back in the future and select travel dates, subject to availability. Don't let them redeposit the miles - make sure you let them know you need some time to select future travel dates.

One thing you need to watch out for is the new travel dates can not be more that one year out from when you made the original booking. That was pointed out a couple posts back.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
OW Ruby can choose seats for free 7 days in advance. Sapphire and Emerald can choose seats for free at time of booking.
Well, that's a horse of a different color! I'm using this trip as a PLT challenge and haven't bothered pushing for complementary GLD status. Looks like I'll be on the phone with the AAdvantage desk on Monday. Thank you for the information.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:16 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
How long does it usually take for JL flights to post to AA? Do they tend to be done as a sweep sometime during the month?

I have an upcoming AA segment and I don't have enough stickers to cover the upgrade, but I should with the base miles from the JL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.