Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by k3vb0t
Newb here... my main question is will segments accrue together from both airlines to hit status? I tried searching status and read the merger facts only thread, but didn't see anything definitive which leads me to believe status will be separate until further notice. Just need to know so I can start booking trips.

I am going to have ~14 business trips this year that I didn't have last year. I'm based in Knoxville. Half my trips are to Phoenix, half are toward Baltimore/DC.

Going to BWI the most sense is to fly TYS-CLT-BWI on US Airways. Going to PHX I can do TYS-CLT-PHX or TYS-DFW-PHX. I want to avoid ORD.

Flying solely US Airways will get me to ~60 segments this year (or close enough to do a MR to get the last 2-4 I need). But sometimes flying via DFW is more convenient on AA. I don't want to sacrifice segments on AA if they won't be combined with US Airways segments and result in me missing status.

Hoping that made sense.
It's unknown whether they will combine segments at year end. Most of us thought they would, but yesterday's announcement made that very uncertain.

But not to worry. You can now credit your AA segments directly to US, or vice versa. Put all your segments to the same program, and there's no need to worry whether they combine.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA/US/BA
Originally Posted by swag
It's unknown whether they will combine segments at year end. Most of us thought they would, but yesterday's announcement made that very uncertain.

But not to worry. You can now credit your AA segments directly to US, or vice versa. Put all your segments to the same program, and there's no need to worry whether they combine.
Is there a guide online on how to do this? I'm using my corporate travel site... wasn't sure if I need to do this with AA/US after ticketing. Thank you for your help!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:38 am

Do miles flown on British Airways (but credited to AAdvantage) count for the 10,000 miles needed to earn elite upgrades?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:49 am

I have an upcoming trip for 2 and booked using my AAdvantage miles but none of the flights are with American. This means that none of my seats have been assigned.

1st itinerary
Alaska Air to Seattle
British Air to London

2nd itinerary
British Air to London
British Air to home

1) When I check in via American Airlines website 24hrs prior to departure of each itinerary, will I be able to select seats for both Alaska and British Air? If yes, can I select seats for the whole itinerary or must I wait to reach Seattle and London to select seats for the second flight?
2) I've read Alaska Air can assign seats if you call them directly with your American Airlines confirmation/record locator?
3) Will American Airlines give me the booking reference code for British Air if I call them? Does anyone know how much it would cost to pre-select seats for BA? Would it be worth it since I just want to have 2 seats together anywhere on the plane?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:55 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sd4meyee
I have an upcoming trip for 2 and booked using my AAdvantage miles but none of the flights are with American. This means that none of my seats have been assigned.

1st itinerary
Alaska Air to Seattle
British Air to London

2nd itinerary
British Air to London
British Air to home

1) When I check in via American Airlines website 24hrs prior to departure of each itinerary, will I be able to select seats for both Alaska and British Air? If yes, can I select seats for the whole itinerary or must I wait to reach Seattle and London to select seats for the second flight?
2) I've read Alaska Air can assign seats if you call them directly with your American Airlines confirmation/record locator?
3) Will American Airlines give me the booking reference code for British Air if I call them? Does anyone know how much it would cost to pre-select seats for BA? Would it be worth it since I just want to have 2 seats together anywhere on the plane?

1) Call AA and get the AS and BA record locators.

2) Go to www.alaskaair.com and pull up your reservation then select your seats in advance. This is where you will complete online check-in and print your boarding passes for the AS flight.

3) Go to www.ba.com > Manage my Booking and pull up your reservation. You can pay for an advanced seat assignment, or a T-24 you will be able to select seats for free and complete on-line check-in and print your boarding passes.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA
Back in November 2013, I made a OneWorld (QF) booking for April 2014 via aa.com. I'm pretty sure that booking originally showed up on AA.com, but it doesn't any longer. Should it?

I got the Qantas record locator when I made the reservation, and am able to see the booking on qantas.com. It's just not showing up on AA.com and I wonder if it should.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by backprop
Back in November 2013, I made a OneWorld (QF) booking for April 2014 via aa.com. I'm pretty sure that booking originally showed up on AA.com, but it doesn't any longer. Should it?

I got the Qantas record locator when I made the reservation, and am able to see the booking on qantas.com. It's just not showing up on AA.com and I wonder if it should.

Thanks.
Is it an award booking? Those don't show up on AA.com when they're on other airlines (at least as far as my experience with LAN goes).

Paid bookings on entirely other airlines but booked at aa.com, have always shown up for me.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by backprop
This happens to me also with flights on AA partners booked on AA.com sometimes (but not always). If you enter the AA record locator in the "Find a Reservation" field under My Reservations on AA.com, that should pull it up; at that point, it may or may not remain in My Reservations for a while.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheAJ
Do miles flown on British Airways (but credited to AAdvantage) count for the 10,000 miles needed to earn elite upgrades?
My recent experience is yes and no. I went over two 10K boundaries on BA flights, both blocks of 10K miles were rolled off on "miles to earn upgrades" and one set of four upgrades was credited. They first appeared on "View my upgrades" but did migrate to the summary page eventually. I made a request for a correction on line but may have to call them. I think that the answer is really yes but, like many things, they have fallen through the recent IT cracks and I suppose that they have been rather busy of late.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by TheAJ
Yes.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:52 pm

LAN and all its subsidiaries are getting very confusing... I've been looking at all the resources I can think of for a while but have yet to find the answer.

I'm planning a trip to Peru and found the following itinerary on AA.com's multi-city search. I'm trying to find out if I'll earn AAdvantage miles for some of the segments.

LAN Ecuador XL 539
New York (JFK)
May 22, 2014 10:10 PM

Guayaquil (GYE)
May 23, 2014 03:50 AM
Booking Code : O

LAN Airlines LA 1631 Operated by LAN Ecuador
Guayaquil (GYE)
May 23, 2014 06:00 AM

Lima (LIM)
May 23, 2014 07:55 AM
Booking Code : X

LAN Airlines LA 2057 Operated by LAN Peru
Lima (LIM)
May 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Cuzco (CUZ)
May 23, 2014 12:30 PM
Booking Code : Y

LAN Airlines LA 2018 Operated by LAN Peru
Cuzco (CUZ)
May 26, 2014 09:30 AM

Lima (LIM)
May 26, 2014 10:55 AM
Booking Code : Y

LAN Airlines LA 1630 Operated by LAN Ecuador
Lima (LIM)
June 1, 2014 09:00 AM

Guayaquil (GYE)
June 1, 2014 11:25 AM
Booking Code : X

LAN Ecuador XL 538
Guayaquil (GYE)
June 1, 2014 01:55 PM

New York (JFK)
June 1, 2014 09:40 PM
Booking Code : O

From my understanding, I'll earn at 100% for 2057 and 2018 since they're in Y, so that should be fine.

For 1631 and 1630, I'm assuming I'll earn nothing since the X code isn't even on the earning chart, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'll be happy to be wrong in this case).

My problem is with XL 539 and 538 since these are the long segments. Does LAN Ecuador flights booked under their XL flights numbers earn as LAN or am I out of luck? The LAN earning page says "Earn miles when flying on LAN Airlines marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on LAN Airlines codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and oneworld affiliates." but I'm not sure if that really answers me... so I'm in need of clarification. These flights don't seem to come up on LAN.com (US) if that helps at all.

Thank you for any insights.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA/US/BA
Originally Posted by k3vb0t
Is there a guide online on how to do this? I'm using my corporate travel site... wasn't sure if I need to do this with AA/US after ticketing. Thank you for your help!
For other newbs out there, apparently this is as easy as putting in your frequent flyer number for whichever program you want to credit to on the reservation. So if I'm flying AA and want to credit US (or the reverse), I just put in that program's # and it should credit.

My next question... if I fly 60 segments per year, is AA or US elite status better? From what I've compared it looks like AA Platinum and US Gold are very similar except that AA Platinum gets 100% bonus flight miles while US Gold gets just 50%. Is my thinking correct?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sd4meyee

1st itinerary
Alaska Air to Seattle
British Air to London

2nd itinerary
British Air to London
British Air to home

I have an upcoming trip (DFW-LHR) with AA (BA metal). I looked into pre-selecting seats on AA.com which routes you to BA's site to select seats. The cost was in the ballpark of $90 each leg. I was told that OW Emeralds are entitled to the fee being waived.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by zpaul
Is it an award booking? Those don't show up on AA.com when they're on other airlines (at least as far as my experience with LAN goes).

Paid bookings on entirely other airlines but booked at aa.com, have always shown up for me.
Yes; I neglected to mention it was an award booking. Thanks to you and TheDude.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by SonP
I have an upcoming trip (DFW-LHR) with AA (BA metal). I looked into pre-selecting seats on AA.com which routes you to BA's site to select seats. The cost was in the ballpark of $90 each leg. I was told that OW Emeralds are entitled to the fee being waived.
OW Ruby can choose seats for free 7 days in advance. Sapphire and Emerald can choose seats for free at time of booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.