Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Not a newbie to Flyertalk, but a newbie to this particular forum. I was looking at the AA Mastercard. It says that it takes 8 to 10 weeks for the 25000 miles to show up one you have spent $1000 - does it really take that long, or do most people find they post quicker? This might make a difference between whether I apply for the AA card or go with Alaska, as I am deciding between which of the two programs to move to.
Typically, the bonus miles post within a couple of days of the closing date of the credit-card billing cycle during which the minimum spend was satisfied. There have been occasional reports indicating that if the minimum spend is not satisfied until very late in the billing cycle, the bonus miles might not post until after the closing of the next billing cycle.

There might be a more lucrative offer if you can meet a higher minimum-spend threshold. Check the FT Citicards forum under the "Credit, Debit, and Prepaid Cards" section if interested.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Newly minted Platinum after a promotional e-mail yesterday and it said I will get 20 500 mile upgrades.

How long does it take to get them in your account? About to book several AA flights.

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

Folks

I'm a non-elite. On a AA redemption ticket with a partner (Etihad), what is the change fee if I change the destination city (2 people on the same conf no)

Also, if I make the change within 21 days of flying, can I escape the fee

Thx
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've not changed destinations on award tickets, but the web site seems to indicate you're going to pay for a destination change. What it doesn't say if that's per ticket or for the entire reservation for two.

Changes to origin/destination –

A $150 USD charge or additional miles will apply for a change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award, (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account).
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp

It would cost the same $150 to deposit the miles back in your account if you cancelled, plus $25 for the additional traveler, if the miles came from the same account.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Flying XXX-DFW-HKG and would like to do same-day standby for an earlier XXX-DFW flight so I don't miss my connection. Would it be possible for me to fly XXX-DFW with my carry-on and then go landside at DFW and check it for the DFW-HKG portion? It's no big deal if I can't but I was wondering if it were possible.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Newly minted Platinum after a promotional e-mail yesterday and it said I will get 20 500 mile upgrades.

How long does it take to get them in your account? About to book several AA flights.

Thanks
Soon, but it doesn't really matter (unless your flight is very soon). You can request the upgrades without having them in your account. You just need them before you check in.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:13 am

Edit: Ignore--- posting in compensation thread.
Question:

I booked my itinerary LGA-MIA-SJU-NEV on AA.com. The first two segments (LGA-MIA, MIA-SJU) were operated by AA and went as planned. The last segment (SJU-NEV) was to be operated by Seaborne Airlines, and was problematic. Seaborne canceled the flight without telling me. When I showed up, they tried to get me on other airlines. However, no one flies to NEV until two days later. They put me in the Airport Hotel for two nights and gave me total of $27 for 2 lunches and 1 dinner. Do I send my complaints to AA (for selling me a ticket with unconfirmed flight) or Seaborne (for canceling the flight without notifying me)? What should I expect from them? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by latieungao; Sep 12, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:56 pm

Two days ago, I used my AA award miles for a US Airways flight on americanairlines.com. I got a confirmation email from American Airlines and I logged into my account to see that the trip appeared under "My Reservations."

Today, I check on "My Reservations" and the award flight booking is missing. Should I be concerned?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Flying XXX-DFW-HKG and would like to do same-day standby for an earlier XXX-DFW flight so I don't miss my connection. Would it be possible for me to fly XXX-DFW with my carry-on and then go landside at DFW and check it for the DFW-HKG portion? It's no big deal if I can't but I was wondering if it were possible.
Yup, should be no problem to go landside at DFW to check your bag. Alternatively, they should be happy to check it at the gate for you as well.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nsc168
Two days ago, I used my AA award miles for a US Airways flight on americanairlines.com. I got a confirmation email from American Airlines and I logged into my account to see that the trip appeared under "My Reservations."

Today, I check on "My Reservations" and the award flight booking is missing. Should I be concerned?
Nope. Unless your reservation has at least one segment on AA metal then they disappear from your "My Reservations" section at aa.com after a bit. It's a known bug that's been around for a while. If you manually search for your PNR it should pop right back up.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Nope. Unless your reservation has at least one segment on AA metal then they disappear from your "My Reservations" section at aa.com after a bit. It's a known bug that's been around for a while. If you manually search for your PNR it should pop right back up.
Thanks so much!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Hello everyone! Glad to have found the forum and it has been interesting reading about everyone's AA miles questions.

Definitely a newbie here, trying to plan a trip in a few years for my wife and I to go to Hawaii (LIH or HON) from Kansas City (MCI), completely free with credit card reward miles. Looks like I will need 17,500 x 4 (round trip for both wife and I) for Economy Miles Saaver = 70,000 miles total.

Question 1 - should I go ahead and create an American Airlines account, so as I start earning miles I can just slowly accumulate them and attach credit cards and such to that account as I get them? Or wait and do it closer to the actual trip time (probably wouldn't travel until 2-3 years).

Question 2 - Are there concerns booking Economy Miles Saaver seats? Like if the flight is full, could we get bumped if we booked that way and used miles? We don't need a lot of frills, but I just want to make sure if we plan and book that way, that that won't make us more likely for the airline to cancel us or something.

I obviously dont' know much about flying and reward programs, but this sure would be a great trip for wife and I if we could pull it off. We both already have 50,000 marriot points, which we can convert so we're already almost halfway there. Will probably finish off the rest by both of us getting the AA Citi credit card. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Geokuk77
Hello everyone! Glad to have found the forum and it has been interesting reading about everyone's AA miles questions.

Definitely a newbie here, trying to plan a trip in a few years for my wife and I to go to Hawaii (LIH or HON) from Kansas City (MCI), completely free with credit card reward miles. Looks like I will need 17,500 x 4 (round trip for both wife and I) for Economy Miles Saaver = 70,000 miles total.

Question 1 - should I go ahead and create an American Airlines account, so as I start earning miles I can just slowly accumulate them and attach credit cards and such to that account as I get them? Or wait and do it closer to the actual trip time (probably wouldn't travel until 2-3 years).

Question 2 - Are there concerns booking Economy Miles Saaver seats? Like if the flight is full, could we get bumped if we booked that way and used miles? We don't need a lot of frills, but I just want to make sure if we plan and book that way, that that won't make us more likely for the airline to cancel us or something.

I obviously dont' know much about flying and reward programs, but this sure would be a great trip for wife and I if we could pull it off. We both already have 50,000 marriot points, which we can convert so we're already almost halfway there. Will probably finish off the rest by both of us getting the AA Citi credit card. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Welcome to FT!

I would not convert Marriott points to AA miles. Use the points for hotel stays.

Check the FT Citicards forum (under the "Credit, Debit, and Prepaid Cards" section) for the most lucrative sign-up offers.

The 17,500-mile one-way award to Hawaii is only valid during AA's off-peak season; at other times of the year, the cost is 22,500 miles each way. What the award will cost two or three years from now is anyone's guess.

SAAver award seats are capacity controlled, so you will need to be flexible as to your travel dates to get two SAAver seats on the same flights.

If a flight is oversold, AA will first ask for volunteers who agree to a compensation of AA's choosing in exchange for taking a later flight. The risk of being involuntarily bumped -- while not zero -- is quite small.

In order to earn AA miles via a credit card, you must have an AAdvantage account. You can open one shortly before you apply for a credit card, or you can have Citi open an AAdvantage account for you. (I recommend the former course of action.) AAdvantage miles expire after 18 months of no activity (earning or redeeming).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:25 am

AAward Tickets Date Changes

From what I know, people can change the dates, routing and carrier on a ticketed AAmile Saver AAward as long as the departure and arrival city stay the same.

If the above is correct, how many times, how far out can someone continuously change an AAward ticket?

It's easy enough to push the departure/return dates forward, but how many times, how many years can people do that to avoid the $150. AAmiles reinstatement fee?

I know the fee is waved for EXP.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by zznoname
From what I know, people can change the dates, routing and carrier on a ticketed AAmile Saver AAward as long as the departure and arrival city stay the same.

If the above is correct, how many times, how far out can someone continuously change an AAward ticket?

It's easy enough to push the departure/return dates forward, but how many times, how many years can people do that to avoid the $150. AAmiles reinstatement fee?

I know the fee is waved for EXP.

Thanks for your help.
Well I believe there's no limit to how many times the travel date can be changed.
But I do know that the ticket must must used within one year of the original ticketing date. So the answer to your question "how many years?" is 1 year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.