Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 2, 14, 9:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MrAndy1369
Wiki Link
As AA and US have now harmonized domestic (including Mexico/Caribbean/Canada/Hawaii/Alaska) meals, please continue the discussion here:

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
(for a broader discussion of the changes)
Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated) (for specific experiences and questions)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 24, 14, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by ellaq2008 View Post
Hi, I was sure that this has been asked multiple times before, but could not quite find the info in this or previous years' threads.

Could someone recommend good cocktails on domestic First? I've always gone with cranberry vodka, it's pretty good but I am interested in trying something new. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of bloody mary.

Thanks!
I like pineapple with vodka ... no bitter aftertaste.

Ask for a Long Island and see what they come up with
Old Jan 25, 14, 5:51 am

anyone tried either of these two yet?

Lemon Grass Salmon
With fresh greens, pineapple, mango, jícama, radish and Asian sesame dressing

Cornmeal Crusted Chicken
Served with roasted sweet potatoes and corn maque choux
Old Jan 25, 14, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Cornmeal crusted chicken is pretty good. The sweet potatoes are excellent.
Old Jan 25, 14, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Usual lunch decision of heavy vs light meal. I have enjoyed both (funnily enough on the same day). I am not a fan of sweet potatoes but in this dish they aren't overwhelming. The salad is good, had it on two separate occasions, not as much fruit as you might imagine from the description, the salmon was a bit dry on one of the two, but otherwise fine.
Old Jan 25, 14, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Here's my flight from last night. I was really surprised NYC-San Juan gets basic plus service these days. I have not seen this in the past but it's been a year or two since I last did this route.

JFK-SJU
1/24/14
7PM Departure
757 with ancient interior (those 80's off white to blue gradient walls are so outdated)

PDB - YES, choice of sparkling wine, water and OJ.
Hot towel
Beverage service with nuts. Drink refills offered before meal. Done via cart service.

Dinner choices were:

Gnocchi in butter sage cream sauce, or
Chicken Marsala w/ risotto (FA's called it rice). I got this and it was very good. My pre-order was acknowledged.

Both dinner dishes came with the shrimp cocktail appetizer served all at one on the same tray.

Then to my surprise (I was expecting maybe a cookie), but FA's came through with a choice of either cookies and cream ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate.

Overall, an excellent crew and flight. I was very surprised by the service levels for this 3.5 hour flight as I don't remember JFK-SJU getting anything more than a normal mid-con flight.
Old Jan 25, 14, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Overall, an excellent crew and flight. I was very surprised by the service levels for this 3.5 hour flight as I don't remember JFK-SJU getting anything more than a normal mid-con flight.
Sounds like a proper meal service for the length of flight. Just wish the App and Salad was served separately, maybe when the FA went and did the second refill of drinks...
Old Jan 25, 14, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ahcjar103 View Post

Lemon Grass Salmon

Cornmeal Crusted Chicken
Yet? Both entrees have been in the rotation for a while.

I like both, but if you're looking for a preference, go with the salmon.
Old Jan 25, 14, 10:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Basic Plus meals has always been hit or miss with the app & salad being served separately. I'm just glad that Basic Plus still seems to be floating around; there was quite a scare last year that Basic Plus was being discontinued or severely reduced...

Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Sounds like a proper meal service for the length of flight. Just wish the App and Salad was served separately, maybe when the FA went and did the second refill of drinks...
Old Jan 25, 14, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahcjar103

Lemon Grass Salmon

Cornmeal Crusted Chicken

Yet? Both entrees have been in the rotation for a while.

I like both, but if you're looking for a preference, go with the salmon.
Yeah, yet.

Sorry I haven't flown the same routes as you at the same times or was able to magically extract thoughts from those who had consumed, the reviews of which had not been included in the thread... yet.
Old Jan 26, 14, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
A few things to compare with to a 2011 JFK-LAX dinner in 3 class F...

-Salad cart is no longer mentioned on the menu - has the 3-class transcon F salad cart been discontinued in favor of choosing between salad toppings?
I do not recall the salad/dessert cart being used. I'm not sure if it was crew specific (the purser seemed intent on making it a very personalized experience whenever each passenger was ready for the next course) or whether there's no longer a cart on the A321.

-The main entree (2014) looks a bit smaller in comparison to the chateaubriand in the 2011 version of AFS F. Perhaps it's just the picture/entree choice?
It's just the picture angle. The entrée is the same size as I remember from past flights in transcon F (as recently as last month and dating back to my first AA F transcon in 2005, the entrée size has always remained the same in my experience - they've just eliminated the lobster and smoked salmon from the menu).

-Is it just me, or does the prosciutto look a bit better as an appetizer? (YMMV)
The prosciutto appetizer is larger but, frankly, I'm just glad to see a new appetizer in the rotation. The transcon appetizer rotation in F/J has been the exact same since I started regularly flying these flights over a decade ago. It's time for a change. Hopefully future months will also reveal new appetizer options.

Improvement: snack basket AND cookie in 2014 vs. just a cookie in 2011
The snack basket is definitely an improvement, and it's probably the nicest domestic airline snack basket that I've seen.

Also, another post I'm comparing: Midnight Raid in 2011 menu... Noticed a few small changes here and there - possible small subtle cutbacks? The Fruit and Cheese plate in 2011 said 'strawberries' vs. 'a strawberry' in 2014. No longer is grapes described as 'juicy' and the cheddar described as 'fresh' in 2014 as it was described in 2011 as. Also, the baguette slice seems to have been exchanged with croutons for 2014's version of the soup.
Agree. Nonetheless, the cheese plate was not substantially different than anything I remember in the past 10 years on transcon redeyes. The grapes were no less "juicy" and the cheese was no less "fresh."

Yeah, before you say I'm just being nitpicky and extremely focused on details, that's just who I am.
Clearly! Whatever makes us happy.

AA F still is the best in the air compared to all the other legacies.
I definitely agree.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 26, 14, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
AA2452 LAX-DFW F Jan 2014

AA2452 LAX-DFW F January 2014

Unfortunately, I missed the sporadic 77W that's been making an occasional appearance on this flight. Nonetheless, the 772 easily makes this AA's most comfortable mid-con flight!

Lunch

Cocktail with Hot Nuts

Beef Fillet with Mashed Potatoes
or
Buffalo Chicken Salad

Chocolate Chip or White Chocolate Macadamia cookies

Old Jan 26, 14, 5:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Gotcha. Did they do salad/dessert carts on the 767's previously used on LAX<>JFK (and currently on SFO<>JFK)? My thought is that it may have to do with the A321 being a narrowbody...not much room for an elaborate salad/dessert cart? Is the salad option now limited compared to before on 3-class F? It seems like nothing has changed with sundae service (still as elaborate as before, just no cart) so it just may have to do with the size of the aisle?

Also, when did AA eliminate lobster/smoked salmon from the menu, approximately? Do they still offer chateaubriand as part of the rotation, though?

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
I do not recall the salad/dessert cart being used. I'm not sure if it was crew specific (the purser seemed intent on making it a very personalized experience whenever each passenger was ready for the next course) or whether there's no longer a cart on the A321.

It's just the picture angle. The entrée is the same size as I remember from past flights in transcon F (as recently as last month and dating back to my first AA F transcon in 2005, the entrée size has always remained the same in my experience - they've just eliminated the lobster and smoked salmon from the menu).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:00 pm

Gotcha. Did they do salad/dessert carts on the 767's previously used on LAX<>JFK ... Also, when did AA eliminate lobster/smoked salmon from the menu, approximately? Do they still offer chateaubriand as part of the rotation, though?
Yes - the salad/dessert cart is still used on the 762.

IIRC, the lobster tails were eliminated around 2005 and the smoked salmon around 2008. Transcon F also had caviar until around 2000/2001 (before my time as a frequent flier - but the thought of caviar on a domestic flight nonetheless fascinates me). I haven't seen the chateaubriand for a while on the domestic flagship F menu (although there's almost always a steak option), but it's still on the international F menus.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Plantsville, CT USA; via West Hartford, CT; Stamford, CT; South Bend, IN; London, U.K. and Westchester County, NY
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Starwood Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
Yes - the salad/dessert cart is still used on the 762.

IIRC, the lobster tails were eliminated around 2005 and the smoked salmon around 2008. Transcon F also had caviar until around 2000/2001 (before my time as a frequent flier - but the thought of caviar on a domestic flight nonetheless fascinates me). I haven't seen the chateaubriand for a while on the domestic flagship F menu (although there's almost always a steak option), but it's still on the international F menus.

-FlyerBeek
Loss of that smoked salmon was not a tragedy. It was extremely low quality salmon; dry/chalky and very fishy tasting. The replacement appetizers were better. Also good to see that vile salmon removed from int. F flights. They switched salmon types in 2006 or there-about. Prior to that, it was much higher quality.
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by btwayland View Post
I like pineapple with vodka ... no bitter aftertaste.

Ask for a Long Island and see what they come up with
Interesting, I didn't know they have pineapple juice. Will ask for this next time.

Search this Thread