FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1537422-archive-2014-aa-domestic-meals-menus-menu-photos-etc-consolidated.html)

MrAndy1369 Sep 1, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the new service!

Not trying to play moderator, but am requesting that all reports/pictures/experiences for 9/1 and onwards are shared here at this thread instead, as meal service is now identical at both carriers, ergo, a consolidated thread.

Many thanks!

JY1024 Sep 1, 2014 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by fAAn (Post 23456889)
Lunch was Miso glazed chicken, stir fried rice, teriyaki vegetables. Asian slaw salad.
Veggies were hericot vert and yellow carrots(not cheap!)
Salad had Sunflower sprouts(again, not cheap!)

Dessert, chocate chip cookie(warmed on board, can't tell the difference).
FA is absolutely amazing. She's very happy to see the new dish/flat/drinkware.
Have to say that this has been a huge improvement from the prior inflight service.

My flight had chocolate cake served in one of the new square bowls. (It was fine...nothing to write home about, though.)

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 23456959)
How is the miso glazed chicken? I've chosen this for a flight next week.

The glaze on the chicken is pretty thick, but it wasn't too salty. I thought it was fine; not a very string miso flavor - tasted like a generic chicken/rice/veggie entree.

BlissWorld Sep 2, 2014 4:39 pm

Just flew MIA-Central America pre-9/1 and today. Meals were identical. Plates/dishes were the old AA ones. It's as if nothing had happened post 9/1

MAH4546 Sep 2, 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 23463895)
Just flew MIA-Central America pre-9/1 and today. Meals were identical. Plates/dishes were the old AA ones. It's as if nothing had happened post 9/1

Central America, JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX service remains identical to pre-9/1.

elitetraveler Sep 2, 2014 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23464218)
Central America, JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX service remains identical to pre-9/1.

JFK-LAX/SFO used to have caviar and also chicken, smoked salmon or steak with the salad. Caviar has been gone since 911 and I thought the chicken, steak and smoked salmon have been gone for awhile?

FWAAA Sep 2, 2014 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 23464228)
JFK-LAX/SFO used to have caviar and also chicken, smoked salmon or steak with the salad. Caviar has been gone since 911 and I thought the chicken, steak and smoked salmon have been gone for awhile?

MAH4546 is talking about pre-September 1, meaning Sunday or before. ;)

BlissWorld Sep 3, 2014 12:57 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23464218)

That is absolutely 100% false.

First of all, there's no need to excessively bring up the fact that LAX/SFO-JFK/MIA are exempt from meal changes. Everyone already knew this. But if you insist on bringing up JFK/MIA-LAX/SFO, perhaps you should excessively remind yourself that snack/supper is not the same as full dinner.

Second of all, Central America flights are absolutely changing. The extra large salad dishes are going away for lunch dinner as are the extra large plate of fruit for breakfast flights.

Also, I was referring to the china and silverware not being different on my flight pre and post 9/1

Finally, I just got off MIA-LAX and you are absolutely wrong on service remains identical to pre 9/1

<redacted>

MAH4546 Sep 3, 2014 1:21 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 23465664)

First of all, there's no need to excessively bring up the fact that LAX/SFO-JFK/MIA are exempt from meal changes. Everyone already knew this. But if you insist on bringing up JFK/MIA-LAX/SFO, perhaps you should excessively remind yourself that snack/supper is not the same as full dinner.

Second of all, Central America flights are absolutely changing. The extra large salad dishes are going away for lunch dinner as are the extra large plate of fruit for breakfast flights.

Also, I was referring to the china and silverware not being different on my flight pre and post 9/1

Finally, I just got off MIA-LAX and you are absolutely wrong on service remains identical to pre 9/1

Can we get comments from people who actually fly AA? :rolleyes:

I stand corrected if I'm wrong on Central America, then, but that was certainly my understanding.

Lately, I'm in MIALAX every two-four weeks in F or J. I'll see for myself in 10 days; unlike most other routes, the meal choices weren't downgraded to US' catering.

Further, I don't need to remind myself anything about "snack/supper," because that was the same pre-9/1 as it is today. I think it's a nice service and prefer it for late night departures, but to each his own. I enjoy the soup/salad option very much.

MrAndy1369 Sep 3, 2014 2:09 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 23465664)

Can we get comments from people who actually fly AA? :rolleyes:

Saw your MIA supper redeye service on Instagram. Huh, I thought AA was at least going to use white linens for transcontinental (on the true transcons, anyway)? Someone over at the main consolidated forum mentioned a note from CS. Here you go:

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 (Post 23318842)
Here is a response I received from Customer Relations regarding the use of black linens on the trays - looks like they are "aligning" to paper liners (similar to what you find at any fine fast food restaurant).

We have learned that the black linen tray liners and table cloths will be replaced with a white linen tablecloth and beige linen tray cloth in international as of November 1 and in transcontinental as of September 1 and with paper liners on all other domestic flights as of September 1.

Emphasis mine.

marnold3 Sep 3, 2014 4:09 am

I was on Flight 297, LAX to HNL, on 9/2 and thought I would comment on the dinner service in first class. Some aspects of the service remained the same and some portions were different.

Things that were still the same included being offered a PDB (water, OJ, or a mimosa). The warm nuts with tropical fruit bits were the same as always although they were served in a new slightly larger ramekin. The warm towel service was the same as always and the bread choices (Hawaiian, sour dough, or pretzel) were roughly the same as far as I remember.

Things that have changed: there was no menu presented to you; there was no linen placed on your tray table; the appetizer, salad, and entrée were presented all at once on what appeared to be a cafeteria tray; for dessert you were offered a cheese plate or Ben and Jerry’s ice cream (no toppings that I was aware of). The white (no AA logo) china used was also new, sort of square with corners that went up to a peak. The portions also seemed smaller than pre 9/1.

I know there will be many complaints about the changes. However, I never understood the purpose of the linen on your tray table. For those who would say it’s about the ambiance, I would say the linen was always rather heavily starched and just never draped properly on the tray table. The printed menu, in my opinion, was always a bit of an indulgence in an era of supposed “eco-consciousness” so its demise is not regretted here. The bottom line is the food was better. This is the first time I have eaten everything, appetizer, salad, and entrée (smaller portions certainly had something to do with this). I had pre-selected the “hibachi chicken” as my entrée and it was actually quite good. I make it a habit not to eat dessert on airplanes so I am unable to comment on that aspect of the service.

CMK10 Sep 3, 2014 7:28 am

The linen also keeps your tray from sliding around on the table @:-)

Microwave Sep 4, 2014 1:48 am

As US and AA have now harmonised domestic meal options, times, etc., please follow the discussions here:

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic (for a broader discussion of the changes)

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated) (for specific experiences and questions)

I was going to move posts, but some posts cross between topics, therefore these will stay in situ and members are invited to discuss the changes, in a broad and specific sense, in the respective threads linked above.

~Moderator