Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MrAndy1369
As AA and US have now harmonized domestic (including Mexico/Caribbean/Canada/Hawaii/Alaska) meals, please continue the discussion here:

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
(for a broader discussion of the changes)
Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated) (for specific experiences and questions)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oak522
Any idea what a dinner DFW-PIT will look like? I'm a US person doing an F flight to take advantage of the 50% bonus. I know there are the different levels of meal service and I think they classify DFW-PIT as midcon. Thanks.
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
warm nuts to start, choice of 2 entrees (chicken or pasta, most likely) which you can preorder online within 30 days of departure, a side salad, and a slice of cake or baked cookie for dessert.
Something like this...

Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Except LAX-Hawaii. AA doesn't consider these routes as transcon, but considering flight times/distance, they should.

I just flew HNL-LAX dinner/lunch....same 2 entree choices, same salad, and same dessert. Nothing has changed. No appetizer, no snack basket and no cookie before landing. No enhancement whatsoever

Also, not a single EXP cleared upgrades on my flight....seems to be the norm these days with easy A buckets.
This is disappointing, I guess it's just a different market and AA doesn't see a need to provide that level of service; I don't get it either. Are you saying that not only do these flights not make transcon status, but don't even get to the level of longer midcons like DFW-SFO which get the shrimp appetizer for dinner? That would be truly bizarre.

Tons of SWUs from the easy matches in 2012 expiring 2/2014, I expect transcons and HI flights will be tough for upgrades until we're past that date, hopefully things will improve after that.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Are you saying that not only do these flights not make transcon status, but don't even get to the level of longer midcons like DFW-SFO which get the shrimp appetizer for dinner? That would be truly bizarre.
No appetizer. Hawaii service has always been a larger salad with Hawaiian dressing, a main entree choice of something Teriyaki/Macadamia/Ginger or pasta, and ice cream sundae for dessert with an additional tropical topping. They also put an orchid on the plate, serve King's Hawaiian bread, and have a special tropical nut mix. However, no appetizer, no Mai Tais, and no cookies prior to landing on dinner/lunch flights (from/to LAX).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
What's the main differences between the DFW-HNL/OGG and LAX-HNL/OGG flghts? Does DFW-Hawaii get appetizer service (as it's substantially longer)?

No appetizer. Hawaii service has always been a larger salad with Hawaiian dressing, a main entree choice of something Teriyaki/Macadamia/Ginger or pasta, and ice cream sundae for dessert with an additional tropical topping. They also put an orchid on the plate, serve King's Hawaiian bread, and have a special tropical nut mix. However, no appetizer, no Mai Tais, and no cookies prior to landing on dinner/lunch flights (from/to LAX).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
What's the main differences between the DFW-HNL/OGG and LAX-HNL/OGG flghts? Does DFW-Hawaii get appetizer service (as it's substantially longer)?
There is absolutely no difference in the main meal service between, for example, DFW-HNL and LAX-HNL.

For lunch/dinner flights both will feature the exact same menu for the main meal. The salad course for all Hawaii flights is substantially larger and of a higher quality than regular domestic and even transcon F salads. In my opinion, it more than makes up for the lack of a separate appetizer. On the longer Hawaii flights (DFW-HNL or ORD-HNL when it operates) there will be a very small second service (a fruit/cheese plate on westbound flights to Hawaii and a fresh baked scone on the overnight eastbound flights back to DFW/ORD). All breakfast flights to/from Hawaii (currently only LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX) will also feature a cocktail service with the tropical nut mix a cookies prior to landing.

I fly to Hawaii somewhat regularly, and the menus/catering hasn't changed one bit in the last 5 years. That being said, AA still offers the best F service to Hawaii, in my opinion (having also flown UA, DL, HI, and AS).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA133 JFK-LAX F Jan 2014

AA133 JFK-LAX F January 2014

My first flight on the AA A321! Slightly enhanced transcon menu (new appetizers and entrees, premium snack basket) compared to last month with a new design. The service I received from Purser Charlie and his team was exceptional - it rivaled LH F (which I had flown the week prior)!

Dinner

Starters

Marinated Cheese Antipasto

Thai-seasoned Breast of Chicken
With grilled pineapple and watermelon, served with Asian mint dressing

Salad

Seasonal greens with fresh vegetables offered with chile cucumber salad and Cajun-style roasted chicken breast

With your choice of classic Caesar dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Assorted gourmet breads will be served with you meal

Entrees

Grilled Fillet of Beef
Served with sautéed spinach and kale, accompanied by potatoes au gratin
An American Classics item

Pumpkin Seed Crusted Breast of Chicken
With brown butter sauce, served with sugar snap peas and mashed sweet potatoes

Cheese Tortellini and Manicotti Duo
Tortellini with pesto Alfredo sauce, accompanied by Florentine Manicotti with Mediterranean tomato sauce

Dessert

Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream with you choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans

Grand Marnier Fruit Salad

Light Refreshment

Whole Fruit and Snacks
A selection of fresh seasonal fruit and premium snacks

Cookies
Freshly baked on board

Wine List

Sparkling Wine
Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Carneros Brut

White Wine
The Climber Sauvignon Blanc, Mendocino
Echelon 2010 California Chardonnay

Red Wine
Barbed Wire Meritage, California
Echelon California Cabernet

Dessert Wine
Graham's Six Grapes Port NV, Douro

3Cls, First, Dinner-Snack
1/14

PDB bubbly (though I wish they would use real glassware):

new transcon flagship first menu design:

cocktails:

beautiful sunset in-between cloud layers (the photo does not do it justice):

the setup:

new Thai chicken appetizer:

transcon F salad:

beef fillet (perfectly prepared medium-rare, as requested. the purser promised it would be perfectly cooked to desired level of doneness - and it was!):

ice cream sundae with butterscotch and whipped cream:
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:54 pm

AA204 LAX-MCO F Jan 2014

AA204 LAX-MCO F January 2014

Midnight Raid

Entrees

Grilled Italian Beef
Served chilled over fresh seasonal greens with blue cheese and pepper cream dressing

Gourmet Cheese Plate
Cheddar, Havarti and Camembert with a strawberry, grapes and dried fruit

Onion and Leek Soup
With Dijon and Jarlsberg baguette croutons

A crusty French roll will be served with our meal

2/3Cls, Business, Midnight Raid
1/14
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
There is absolutely no difference in the main meal service between, for example, DFW-HNL and LAX-HNL.

For lunch/dinner flights both will feature the exact same menu for the main meal. The salad course for all Hawaii flights is substantially larger and of a higher quality than regular domestic and even transcon F salads. In my opinion, it more than makes up for the lack of a separate appetizer. On the longer Hawaii flights (DFW-HNL or ORD-HNL when it operates) there will be a very small second service (a fruit/cheese plate on westbound flights to Hawaii and a fresh baked scone on the overnight eastbound flights back to DFW/ORD). All breakfast flights to/from Hawaii (currently only LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX) will also feature a cocktail service with the tropical nut mix a cookies prior to landing.

I fly to Hawaii somewhat regularly, and the menus/catering hasn't changed one bit in the last 5 years. That being said, AA still offers the best F service to Hawaii, in my opinion (having also flown UA, DL, HI, and AS).

-FlyerBeek
^ yes the Sam Choy menu needs to be refreshed IMHO.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-FlyerBeek
So do I, but I think it's time for you to try the competition again because it probably has been a while since you flew them last

Hawaiian, hands down, offers the best overall service. The A330 F seats with leg rests are far more comfortable than AA's ancient 757. Hawaiian's catering is also far superior: Proper Mai Tai, restaurant quality meals:

Delta, while doesn't offer anything Hawaiian for its actual meal service, it at least serves proper Mai tai with umbrella and all. Their meals aren't bad either. I just flew them over the weekend:

AND, Delta uses 76W with lie flat direct aisle access twice daily from LAX to HNL. It's far more comfortable than AA:

I can go on, but I think that's enough to show that AA is definitely not the best to the islands.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Slightly enhanced transcon menu....it rivaled LH F (which I had flown the week prior)!
LH F? Until we see AA serving appetizers like this:

It will remain AA F

I think it's great that AA is offering a new product, but all things considered, it's nowhere near amazing as people are making it out to be. First of all, it's a business product. I don't care how AA glorifies it as being "First," it's still a business class seat. Having flown that exactly same seat on a variety of carriers (including Delta and US Airways), I can honestly say that it's not very comfortable. Many people actually don't know that these A321 seats are NOT the same as the ones on AA's 77W (which are far more comfortable).

Meal service wise, Delta, again, offers a better overall dining experience. Delta serves proper cocktails and beer, including bluemoon served with slices of orange. Delta's appetizers and entrees are also more interesting and modern. They currently use the same 76W lie flat seats with direct aisle access on the LAX/JFK route....and, it's only a business class product!

Anyway, just my $0.02.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davesam12
yes the Sam Choy menu needs to be refreshed IMHO.
That is an understatement, especially breakfast, though if AA would just dump the mac nut pancakes, I could probably live w/the rest of it.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
AND, Delta uses 76W with lie flat direct aisle access twice daily from LAX to HNL. It's far more comfortable than AA:
FYI, AA currently has lie-flat 763s on two of four daily LAXHNL and both daily LAXOGG.

They will soon be converted to what is rumored to be the same exact seat DL uses (although personally, I hate that seat). First one flying probably by May.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:20 pm

The service I received from Purser Charlie and his team was exceptional - it rivaled LH F (which I had flown the week prior)!
...Slightly enhanced transcon menu....it rivaled LH F (which I had flown the week prior)!

LH F? Until we see AA serving appetizers like this:
BlissWorld, there's no need to misquote me. I was clearly referring to the service I received from the AA crew and not implying that AA's transcon menu was on par with the caviar and vintage Champagne featured on LH F. I still stand by my comments, the service on AA133 was uncharacteristically faultless and would favorably compete against anything I've received in the past year (which included over 300,000 miles in international premium cabins – including F on AA, CX, JL, LH, MH, NH, TG, and UA).
So do I, but I think it's time for you to try the competition again because it probably has been a while since you flew them last

Hawaiian, hands down, offers the best overall service...

I can go on, but I think that's enough to show that AA is definitely not the best to the islands.
I must disagree with you, and I am by no means an AA apologist. I’ve actually flown AA, UA, DL, HI, and AS in F to the Hawaiian Islands all within the past 10 months.

While DL does fly the 76W on a couple of flights to HNL – which is indisputably a superior hard product to the AA 763 – AA flies the 763 on at least 5 flights a day to Hawaii. Overall, I’m not a huge fan of HI’s F product on either the A330 or 763 (personally I prefer angled lie-flat over the HI recliners) and although the quality of their catering is the best to Hawaii, I find the flight crews to be very hit-or-miss (also including my recent international flights on HI). I do my absolute best to avoid narrow-bodies to Hawaii, but obviously an AA 757 will not compare favorably with a DL 76W or HI A330 regardless of the soft product provided.

If the serving of low-quality Mai Tais with tropical fruit garnish is your only measure of service, than I certainly understand why AA doesn’t compare favorably in your opinion. Personally, I prefer to save the Mai Tais until I’m actually in the Islands and place a greater emphasis on the overall meal, seat, and service quality.

Of course, YMMV.

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Jan 23, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
A few things to compare with to a 2011 JFK-LAX dinner in 3 class F - single post here

I noticed a few differences on the menu/pictures of 2011 and 2014 - also had a question about the salad below:

-Salad cart is no longer mentioned on the menu - has the 3-class transcon F salad cart been discontinued in favor of choosing between salad toppings?

-The main entree (2014) looks a bit smaller in comparison to the chateaubriand in the 2011 version of AFS F. Perhaps it's just the picture/entree choice?

-Is it just me, or does the prosciutto look a bit better as an appetizer? (YMMV)

Improvement: snack basket AND cookie in 2014 vs. just a cookie in 2011

AA133 JFK-LAX F January 2014

My first flight on the AA A321! Slightly enhanced transcon menu (new appetizers and entrees, premium snack basket) compared to last month with a new design. The service I received from Purser Charlie and his team was exceptional - it rivaled LH F (which I had flown the week prior)!

Dinner

Starters

Marinated Cheese Antipasto

Thai-seasoned Breast of Chicken
With grilled pineapple and watermelon, served with Asian mint dressing

Salad

Seasonal greens with fresh vegetables offered with chile cucumber salad and Cajun-style roasted chicken breast

With your choice of classic Caesar dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Assorted gourmet breads will be served with you meal

Entrees

Grilled Fillet of Beef
Served with sautéed spinach and kale, accompanied by potatoes au gratin
An American Classics item

Pumpkin Seed Crusted Breast of Chicken
With brown butter sauce, served with sugar snap peas and mashed sweet potatoes

Cheese Tortellini and Manicotti Duo
Tortellini with pesto Alfredo sauce, accompanied by Florentine Manicotti with Mediterranean tomato sauce

Dessert

Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream with you choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans

Grand Marnier Fruit Salad

Light Refreshment

Whole Fruit and Snacks
A selection of fresh seasonal fruit and premium snacks

Cookies
Freshly baked on board

[pictures redacted to save space]
[/IMG]
Also, another post I'm comparing: Midnight Raid in 2011 menu (single post here) vs. 2014's menu below:

AA204 LAX-MCO F January 2014

Midnight Raid

Entrees

Grilled Italian Beef
Served chilled over fresh seasonal greens with blue cheese and pepper cream dressing

Gourmet Cheese Plate
Cheddar, Havarti and Camembert with a strawberry, grapes and dried fruit

Onion and Leek Soup
With Dijon and Jarlsberg baguette croutons

A crusty French roll will be served with our meal

2/3Cls, Business, Midnight Raid
1/14
Noticed a few small changes here and there - possible small subtle cutbacks? The Fruit and Cheese plate in 2011 said 'strawberries' vs. 'a strawberry' in 2014. No longer is grapes described as 'juicy' and the cheddar described as 'fresh' in 2014 as it was described in 2011 as. Also, the baguette slice seems to have been exchanged with croutons for 2014's version of the soup.

Yeah, before you say I'm just being nitpicky and extremely focused on details, that's just who I am. I tend to notice the littlest of details - it's not something I can really help, and it's not a bad thing! It's just interesting to see how menu choices and offerings change over the years, and it does look like AA's domestic F has seen a few small, very minor, but small cutbacks over the years. For example, I also noticed on longer Basic Plus midcons that there are now 3 pieces of shrimp vs. 4 in 2011 (the appetizer served alongside the salad) based on pictures taken at their respective times.

Again, not a big deal at all - just observations, definitely unsubstantive in the grand scheme of things. AA F still is the best in the air compared to all the other legacies.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jan 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm Reason: minor editing and cleaning up for clarity and correction of a mistake
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
#1330 - 01/24/14
TUS -DFW
On Time departure and arrival
9:55 am -1:05 pm

"Bait and Switch" - Reservations and itinerary branded flight as "lunch". Here's the meal that was served:

PDB - no
Hot towel
Beverage service
Breakfast - (no choice)
Granola cereal
Milk /Juice/coffee - Bev of choice
Croissant with strawberry jam
Dole Tropical Fruit cup
Milk
Pre-packaged granola snack mix (which I just added to cereal)

Crew and service were excellent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.