Wiki Posts
Search

Help getting to DUB without breaking the bank

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life P/2MM, HH Life D
Help getting to DUB without breaking the bank

Anyone have any ideas on getting into DUB? AA won't give any milesaver seats on their direct flight from ORD. Can fly business class on BA but go through LHR and get hit with over $1000 per ticket tax charge! Usually consider myself a master of manipulating the system but this one has me stumped.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Google "DUB airport wiki" to see which AA partners fly to DUB.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Avios BOS-DUB is just 25,000 points RT in Y or 50,000 points RT in Business...

Chicago/New York to Dublin/Shannon
Economy: 40,000 Avios points
Business: 80,000 Avios points

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...el-surcharges/
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Card Junkie
Anyone have any ideas on getting into DUB? AA won't give any milesaver seats on their direct flight from ORD.
You haven't said where from or what month. Good availability JFK-DUB in April, ORD-LGA/JFK-DUB possible.

Or fly to LHR on AA and connect to a BA flight. Plenty of ORD-LHR seats, and the BA surcharge from LHR-DUB is not $1000 - you can buy a LHR-DUB RT for $200.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jridge
You haven't said where from or what month. Good availability JFK-DUB in April, ORD-LGA/JFK-DUB possible.
AA won't give any milesaver seats on their direct flight from ORD.
I would assume from ORD.

Originally Posted by jridge
Or fly to LHR on AA and connect to a BA flight. Plenty of ORD-LHR seats, and the BA surcharge from LHR-DUB is not $1000 - you can buy a LHR-DUB RT for $200.
Can fly business class on BA but go through LHR and get hit with over $1000 per ticket tax charge!
I would assume OP means $1000 per ticket taxes on ORD-LHR-DUB in Business.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
I would assume OP means $1000 per ticket taxes on ORD-LHR-DUB in Business.
Please don't refer to fuel surcharges as taxes. They're carrier imposed, not government imposed.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
You don't say when you are looking to travel.

Couple of examples.

For Apr, there are dates showing 20K AA economy flights via JFK plus Ł3
For Oct, there are dates showing 50K AA biz flights via JFK plus Ł3
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Please don't refer to fuel surcharges as taxes. They're carrier imposed, not government imposed.
And yet, should one choose this option the total cost (which is what the Average Joe actually cares about) will be the total cost, irrespective of grammatical/syntactical correctness.

Regards
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Should have given better information. This would be for late July through early August (high tourist season) and for 4 people (probably the biggest sticking point) and my family (way too spoiled in always flying biz when they go) wants to stay in biz. Actually found one route with IB thru MAD but when I called to book it they said AA won't let you fly on an award ticket into DUB on anyone but them or BA. Never heard that before. Struck out trying ORD, DFW, JFK, BOS. I think I may have to use any anytime reward for going over and milesaver coach coming back.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Should have given better information. This would be for late July through early August (high tourist season) and for 4 people (probably the biggest sticking point) and my family (way too spoiled in always flying biz when they go) wants to stay in biz. Actually found one route with IB thru MAD but when I called to book it they said AA won't let you fly on an award ticket into DUB on anyone but them or BA. Never heard that before. Struck out trying ORD, DFW, JFK, BOS. I think I may have to use any anytime reward for going over and milesaver coach coming back.
If you're good with the routing through MAD, I'd try calling again - that line about only being able to fly to DUB on AA or BA is total BS.*

*Pretty much BS - I didn't take into account Guv's point about a published through fare.

Last edited by tylerdurden4543; Jan 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Actually found one route with IB thru MAD but when I called to book it they said AA won't let you fly on an award ticket into DUB on anyone but them or BA."

Call AA back. The agent might be in error, but if IB does not publish an ORD-DUB through-fare, then you cannot book ORD-MAD-DUB as a single one-way award.

It would certainly be cheaper to work up a distance-based Explorer award (which would require you to include a second one-world partner on your itinerary), rather than pay 150,000 miles/person by combining a SAAver award with an AAnytime award.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Also be aware that MAD - DUB is operated by Iberia Distress..sorry, Express. Really, I'd take a direct coach from JFK etc over flying them if I could.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: Aer Club Platinum, BAEC Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Have you checked Aer Lingus fares?

They used to be fairly competitive on routes out of USA
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I will check out the explorer rewards. I haven't done one of those yet. Air Lingus was definitely the cheapest way to go if I was paying for a ticket but I was trying to get away with only paying taxes/fees. I will try AA back and see if a different agent will be able to get it booked through MAD. Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by colmc
Also be aware that MAD - DUB is operated by Iberia Distress..sorry, Express. Really, I'd take a direct coach from JFK etc over flying them if I could.
A year and a half ago, I found Iberia Express to be indistinguishable from shorthaul Iberia in business. I guess you can take this either way, but neither were worse than BA for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.