Changing award flights from a connection to a stopover

Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:14 am
Original Poster

I have an award ticket issued for SYD-LAX-JFK, with all flights on the same date. If I now change the LAX-JFK flight to a later date, thus creating a stopover, will I be subject to the $150 fee? Or will this be considered simply a change in flight date and time?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I have an award ticket issued for SYD-LAX-JFK, with all flights on the same date. If I now change the LAX-JFK flight to a later date, thus creating a stopover, will I be subject to the $150 fee? Or will this be considered simply a change in flight date and time?

Thanks in advance.
This is allowed since you're doing a stopover at the first point of entry in North America. However, based on the routing it seems you'll be flying Qantas and thus, if you change to another date, you won't be able to fly LAX-JFK on QF since they're not allowed to transport passengers domestically in the US. In terms of the fee, I'm not sure if that will be assessed since you don't mention if you have any status with AA. Technically, the origin and destination are staying the same, so if you have status, you should be exempt from any fees. You can always call and say that the LAX-JFK segment was not supposed to be on the same day and see if they'll be able to change that free of charge if you don't have any AA status.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as the itinerary includes travel from Australia to USA, then there is no problem using Qantas for the domestic sector even after a stopover if the passenger wishes to do so

I do not believe that there is a fee associated with adding the stopover in
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

In addition you can change lax-jfk to aa or any oneworld carrier without a fee if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.