Wiki Posts
Search

Is selecting the first in line for security delaying boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Is selecting the first in line for security delaying boarding

I wonder if the selection of the first passenger at the gate is not causing the delay in boarding times.
Last weekend I flew 4 segments TPA/MIA/ATL return and I noticed that when the first Class and Group 1s are called very few people go toward the gate, it seems that passengers are now cognizant that first at the gate will get you the intensive security search and that people are sort of milling around until some one is selected, myself being one of the guilty ones.

Its was really very funny, 9/3 - AA 1715 to MIA scheduled from a 150PM departure, arrived from MIA at about 225PM, the announcement was made that everybody should be ready to board quickly to make the turn around and get off the ground by 300PM and requested to take tickets out of the jackets have them in hand etc etcto speed up the process.

Boarding announcements:-
First Class - nobody goes to the gate. Group 1 - nobody goes to the gate. Group 2, a couple from Peru (they seemed to have trouble with English), goes up and sure enough they get selected for the security shakedown.
Then BOOM the line is 20 deep.
Bear in mind that the flight is completely full in both F and coach, and I was able to make out at least 6 people with Group 1 passes ( no counting me and my traveling partner)
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 08-05-2002).]
Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It's because no one wants to play these stupid "random security" games. Only the unsuspecting or the very passive are usually the ones selected for the initial gate-rape; the rest tend to be more victims of chance.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 08-05-2002).]
Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:40 pm

I don't know if this has happened to anybody else but, a few weeks ago I was sitting waiting for my flight to be called for boarding, in the chairs by the window (DFW) reading when the gate agent came over and told me to go to the security check. I was in group 5 this was a total shock! All the group 1's were able to board without any disruptions.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 2:40 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
Two weeks ago in Memphis.... the Gate Agent actually asked for volunteers to go through the screening process so that Boarding could commence.

Everyone held back until the "Volunteers" had "Security" busy.....

and I felt so much safer on that flight...

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Aug 5, 2002, 3:01 pm

OK, here's a dumb idea to this "extra security measures" problem...how's about a truly random shakedown, like, have the all-cosmic-knowing-computer at the A/L pick five or so unknowing victims, flag them with a visible mark on their boarding pass & have them "screened" prior to boarding (yes, this could be done with "at home or offsite checkins as well). This way you don't know until you get to the airport (when it's too late to think about packing an extra weapon or incendiary device)that it's "searchie-poo" time. The home check-in folks would get the extra pat down as a matter of true "extra security", but before boarding commences at the gate. Those lucky "detainees" would get to board first (along with group 1), the process would be completed prior to boarding, the TSA would get their random numbers, and everybody'd be a little happier.

OK, that's it. I shall now sit humbnly back and wait for postings as to reasons why this WOULDN'T work.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
fredmartens,
That system is already in. Some BP are flagged for the extra search, but they still have to pick few randomly, so there would not be any lawsuits pertaining to profiling only certain groups of people. If you pay attention next time you will see that some people will be directed for the search as soon as the BP is run through the little reader. So basically the 2-3 that get picked on top of this are the frontline of defense against lawyers, just waiting to attack given a chance. :-)
Old Aug 5, 2002, 3:34 pm

I held a business class boarding pass yesterday for AA's three-class service SFO-JFK. After NO ONE responded to the gate agent's announcement of first and business class boarding, the FA at the ticket reader gestured to a group of passengers in the front to approach her. I joined this crowd and was about 10th in line to board. By the time I disappeared down the jetway, security had not yet pulled anyone out of line. Maybe the security folks are getting smarter. And, I trust, more effective.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 3:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
I'm one of the guilty hangers-around-and-waiters, too. The last time I was "randomly" picked I even said to the security guy, "Oh, am I the first person in Group 1 again?" It's completely idiotic.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 3:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by msbuni1:
I don't know if this has happened to anybody else but, a few weeks ago I was sitting waiting for my flight to be called for boarding, in the chairs by the window (DFW) reading when the gate agent came over and told me to go to the security check. I was in group 5 this was a total shock! All the group 1's were able to board without any disruptions. </font>
Yea, I've seen this now. So a new skill to acquire is not to sit where it's likely you'll be "pulled" for the gate-rape.

Another: I was in DFW last month, when the GA walked over to the crowd sitting in the waiting area and enthusiatically asked, "OK, who's going to Portland, please raise your hands!". Of course, a few clueless pax did; they were led away to be groped. I said aloud, "don't ever, ever, raise your hands in response to that question", which got alot of chuckles among those wise enough not to.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 6:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
...have the all-cosmic-knowing-computer at the A/L pick five or so unknowing victims, flag them with a visible mark on their boarding pass & have them "screened" prior to boarding ...</font>
It does work and thats EXACTLY how I've seen it happen in LGA and JFK *EVERY* time..

Each flight in NYC will have some boarding passes without *CLR* on them.. those people are actively called to the counter to be searched BEFORE boarding commences
Old Aug 6, 2002, 12:42 am

This issue is very serious, AA is harming security by consistently picking the first person who comes to the gate. Someone from the top of this company needs to put their foot down and stop this immediately.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:46 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
As an aside to this thread, as I passed through LAX T4 security on Sunday morning (4th August), I was selected for a 'random pat-down'. The 'security' guy who performed the said pat-down shook my hand, told me to look at a (admittedly very attractive) "woman in the red dress", told me he loves his job because he "get's paid to look at pussy" all day, then offered his hand to me again and said "Give me some love, Bro". Indeed...

I would have complained, but I'd had only 45 minutes sleep and really wasn't in the mood. He didn't really hassle me at all and had me quickly on my way, but I thought his behaviour and language to be most inappropriate.

Please pardon my uncensored post, but I think it was more effective in it's entireity.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:49 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
This issue is very serious, AA is harming security by consistently picking the first person who comes to the gate. Someone from the top of this company needs to put their foot down and stop this immediately. </font>
You're not going to believe this, but about 3 months ago, a directive was sent out to gate agents stating that it was "Inappropriate to select the first person in line for screening."

Hmmm.....
Old Aug 6, 2002, 7:57 am

Location: Palm Beach/Hungary 3.9MM AA EXP, UA GOLD 1MM, DL PLT, MARR LIFE PLT
While I am guilty of the avoiding being first in line here is a recent experience I had.

Arrived ICN for flight to NRT, concourse security had everybody remove their shoes and most of us were wanded. At the gate, I was selected randomly in the jetway from a crowd of other people for the usual useless once over. At NRT I cleared security again to get into the gate area for my flight to SFO. Again I was selected from a crowd in the jetway for a once over. AT SFO I clear customs, clear security for the concourse and I am selected yet again from the middle of the line by the GA at the gate.

At this point I couldn't help but point out how many screenings I had been through to the young buck eager to screen me. His response, "Aw man that's nuts." He quickly wanded me down and never opened my carry-on, then he walked me over to board. While I appreciate his gesture I ask should I feel safe? Was this trip random bad luck?
Old Aug 6, 2002, 8:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yeah, like put an end to these useless "random security" searches immediately.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
This issue is very serious, AA is harming security by consistently picking the first person who comes to the gate. Someone from the top of this company needs to put their foot down and stop this immediately. </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.