FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   One segment short of next elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1533043-one-segment-short-next-elite-status.html)

jalimohideen Dec 20, 2013 5:28 pm

One segment short of next elite status

Hi,
I am AAdvantage Gold member and have flown so far 59 segments and now just 1 segment short for the next elite status Platinum. Unfortunately, I don't foresee anymore travel for this year and my next travel starts only on the second of week Jan 2014.
I tried calling AA and was politely declined my request for a complimentary upgrade to next level.
AA however offers an option to purchase elite status for 600$, which I feel is a total rip-off.
My only other option is to purchase a low air-fare to any place, which I am willing to do as long as the airfare is within reasonable limits.

Any suggestions from experts out there who may have been in a situation like me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

javid

MikeMilzz Dec 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Not sure how close you are on miles, but there are a few ways to get PQM by joining the club or something else. My advice if you just need 1 segment is to use the Kayak Explore map to find the cheapest 1 segment and do a quick mile run before the end of the year.

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

Not sure where you are based out of, but I'm almost sure you can find something to do cheaper than the $600 to buy up. Good luck!

kpowed Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm

It would be helpful to know what airport you're flying out of. Regardless, I'm sure 1 segment will be cheaper than $600.

AALoyalNYC Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

One segement short of next elite status

I would venture a guess that the OP will have to do 2 segments...figured he will want to get home as well...

jalimohideen Dec 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I found a cheaper airfare (140$) from Chicago to Minneapolis and going to do a one day trip

Regards,
Javid

Duke787 Dec 20, 2013 7:27 pm

google.com/flights is another great way to search for these types of things

tucsnaz Dec 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Welcome to FT! You did the right thing. PLT status is well worth $140!

Don't feel bad, I did four trips like this to retain my EXP status this year. Unfortunately mine were further.

Originally Posted by jalimohideen (Post 22003871)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

I found a cheaper airfare (140$) from Chicago to Minneapolis and going to do a one day trip

Regards,
Javid

vasantn Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jalimohideen (Post 22003353)
Hi,
I am AAdvantage Gold member and have flown so far 59 segments and now just 1 segment short for the next elite status Platinum. Unfortunately, I don't foresee anymore travel for this year and my next travel starts only on the second of week Jan 2014.
I tried calling AA and was politely declined my request for a complimentary upgrade to next level.
AA however offers an option to purchase elite status for 600$, which I feel is a total rip-off.
My only other option is to purchase a low air-fare to any place, which I am willing to do as long as the airfare is within reasonable limits.

Any suggestions from experts out there who may have been in a situation like me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

javid

I don't know why you would say it is a total ripoff. It is an offer that you are free to accept or reject. AA is under no obligation to even make such an offer. And FWIW, it is $699; not $600.

Want the status? Fly the miles.

WheelsFirst Dec 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by AALoyalNYC (Post 22003700)
I would venture a guess that the OP will have to do 2 segments...figured he will want to get home as well...

Depends on where the OP is. Could be cheaper to rent a car back, take the train, fly WN, etc?

grahampros Dec 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by tdb27 (Post 22004736)
Depends on where the OP is. Could be cheaper to rent a car back, take the train, fly WN, etc?

You can do something like ORD-MKE and just take the train back from the airport. Been there done that before.

zarkov505 Dec 22, 2013 9:20 am

I was just under 3600 miles short this year. I did a weekend round trip to LAX, which is just over 3600 miles. I haven't seen the final numbers, but the cost vs. buying it up would have been just about a wash.

c_d Dec 22, 2013 9:32 am

Probably not a clever question but I still don't know all the details of AAdvantage: I'm 241 EQM short of reaching my final elite rewards stage. I'd love to have the extra SWU's. Is there a way short of flying (I'm abroad until new years) to get EQM?

dave_261 Dec 22, 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by c_d (Post 22010737)
Probably not a clever question but I still don't know all the details of AAdvantage: I'm 241 EQM short of reaching my final elite rewards stage. I'd love to have the extra SWU's. Is there a way short of flying (I'm abroad until new years) to get EQM?

Citi Executive AAdvantage credit card, but you need to hit a $40k spend threshold to get 10k EQM's. Otherwise, you need to fly.

Longhornmaniac8 Dec 22, 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by c_d (Post 22010737)

Plenty of ways to earn EQM while abroad. Not sure where you are, but hop on a oneworld carrier and you'll be fine (mind your fare classes, though...some earn, some only earn partially, and some don't earn at all).

Cheers,
Cameron