Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Main Cabin Extra Misrepresented

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other

When is "More Legroom" less legroom? When it's in AA Main Cabin Extra.

We flew an AA 767 JFK - SFO last month. Not having status, I paid to upgrade to Main Cabin Extra with "up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax" on this six hour flight.

Does this look like stretching out and relaxing?

Neither of us could straighten our legs - a 5'9" man or a 5'2" woman.

AA declined my request for a refund of the $156 I paid for "More Legroom."

Don't tell me I should have expected this from a bulkhead seat. Seatguru said "may have extra legroom" and AA promised it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Bulkhead seats are a major gamble if you're not familiar with the aircraft and can't find actual traveler reports on them. Unfortunately Seatgurus line is a generic one there. More often than not though I've seen bulkhead seats more restrictive on the legs than normal seats.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bilofsky

Don't tell me I should have expected this from a bulkhead seat. Seatguru said "may have extra legroom" and AA promised it.
I can understand if you are a once a year flyer, but judging from your profile that you had flown a little more than half a million mile on UA, you know better even on UA's E+ bulkhead, depends on the plane and config, it often has reduce legroom compare to other E+ seats, but it still sells as E+, it is no difference on other carriers. (many narrowbodies bulkhead in F have less legroom than E+ especially apparent compare to exit rows)

Therefore, yes, you should have expected this, no sympathy at all.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis

More legroom products these days no longer mean stretch out and relax . That is what first class means. The previous comments are correct, you need to know the aircraft seat configurations ahead of time OR buy onboard. Seat guru is for the birds, look at seat maps on the respective airline's website.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:18 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is specific to one airline, let's move this to the pre-merger AA forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz and AAdvantage co-moderator
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
It's a mixed blessing here. Maybe you don't get the full extra legroom you would if there was a seat in front of you. But you also eliminate the opportunity for someone to recline into your space. A little less legroom than other MCE seats (but definitely more than the standard coach seat) but you could actually use a laptop without the far that the person in front of you would come flying back without warning.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You got Row 20ed. That's an exit row in name only and a terrible, terrible row. In this day of amazing information available online always always ALWAYS do your research. There's lots of ink dedicated to how bad Row 20 on the 763 is. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's why AA advertises, "up to 6"". SeatGuru isn't AA. Bottom line is that there are people who will pay extra to sit in a given seat with 2 others in a 3-seat row, while others don't pay extra and get three seats across.

Fundamental problem with US carriers is that people don't want to pay the full tab for whatever perk it is. Neither MCE on AA, E+ on UA nor EC on DL are premium economy products which include a better seat, more room and an improved soft product.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Thanks for the comments.

AA also advertises "More Legroom," which was untrue here.

I did my research and did not expect or want a bulkhead seat.

I relied on the aa.com website, both the seatmap and the page about Main Cabin Advantage.

Should I have known Row 20 was a bulkhead seat from this?

Edit: These are the wrong seatmaps. Apparently I was on a 763. I thought I was on a 762 so grabbed these seatmaps trying to reconstruct. Sorry for the error.

Last edited by bilofsky; Dec 19, 2013 at 9:10 am Reason: Correct error
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the comments.

AA also advertises "More Legroom," which was untrue here.

I did my research and did not expect or want a bulkhead seat.

I relied on the aa.com website, both the seatmap and the page about Main Cabin Advantage.

I'm a lil confused.. You went on a 767-200 correct? With those planes there is no MCE, and according to the link you gave, the green stars on AA website represents "preferred seats", which if you have no status, you will have to pay extra anyway.. MCE seats are usually colored orange..
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
https://www.google.com/#q=american+a...ow+20&safe=off

If you would have spent 20 seconds googling, you would have seen that row 20 is a bulkhead. Clearly your "research" didn't include this basic and often first step. Its also mentioned on seat expert as well as being problematic along with a number of other sites (including FT)

Beyond that, Row20 does indeed have more legroom than non MCE based seats... while not as much as some of the other MCE offering... its certainly better than your knees in the back of someone in front of you.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I'm going to sympathize more with you than most here. However, based solely on your picture, if you were in regular coach seats the back of the next seat would be very close to your 5'9" knees (my height as well). So yeah, you have some more room there.

And no, from those two seat maps I don't see how you can be expected to know it's a bulkhead. Not everyone knows or has the time to know the minutiae of where the errors are in aa.com or seatguru. I sure didn't know and I've been flying AA a long time, just not usually the 762. I also try not to be in back but that's a different subject!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by martchris
I'm a lil confused.. You went on a 767-200 correct? With those planes there is no MCE, and according to the link you gave, the green stars on AA website represents "preferred seats", which if you have no status, you will have to pay extra anyway.. MCE seats are usually colored orange..
This.
You did pay for MCE for a flight that was probably supposed to be on a 763 and then most likely your aircraft was substituted with a 762.
As there definitely is no MCE on the 762s it should not have been sold to you in the first place - contact AA again about a refund.
You may get only a few bucks back, though: Row 20 on the 762 is classified as "preferred" and sold for $59 so you're due to be refunded the $38 difference between MCE (which you paid for but didn't get) and "preferred" (which you did get).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Sympathize also, but blukhead seats even in AA's domestic F can be uncomfortable. I avoid bulkhead row 3 AB on the MD80's and bulkhead on the domestic 757's have limited legroom. I'm only 5'8" and find them very uncomfortable.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When you purchase a ticket on AA.com and use their seat map to aid you in making your choice, you should get what is shown [exit row, mce, preferred, bulkhead etc.]. A flyer should NOT be required to do any searching on external sources (SEATGURU, FT for example). Did the OP get what he saw and paid extra for should be the determining factor?
[EXIT rows on all planes should have more leg room, since that is needed in an emergency.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.