Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMERICAN AIRLINES ADDS POINTS IN POLAND, INDIA, AND MIDDLE EAST THROUGH SWISS CODESHA

AMERICAN AIRLINES ADDS POINTS IN POLAND, INDIA, AND MIDDLE EAST THROUGH SWISS CODESHA

Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:48 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines announced that it will extend its route network to five additional points in Poland, India, and the Middle East through its codeshare agreement with SWISS.

Beginning July 31, the company will place its AA code on SWISS flights from Zurich to Krakow and Warsaw, Poland, and to Muscat, Oman. On Aug. 7, the company will put its code on SWISS flights from Zurich to Mumbai and Delhi in India.

"American's codeshare with SWISS opens for our customers a world of travel possibilities to destinations beyond the points in our network that we serve directly," said Mike Gunn, American's executive vice president of Marketing and Planning. "Together, we operate nine daily flights between the U.S. and Zurich, making connections to Europe, India, and the Middle East very convenient for our passengers."

American serves Zurich from Dallas/Fort Worth and New York. From the United States, SWISS serves Zurich from Los Angeles, Miami, Washington D.C., Chicago, Newark, New York, and Boston.

Since American and SWISS began their codeshare relationship in May, they have built an extensive reciprocal network between more than 40 codeshare cities in the United States, Europe, and now India and the Middle East. The two airlines will continue to explore opportunities to codeshare between destinations in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, and through American's extensive network in North America, the Caribbean and Latin America.

SWISS is the newly branded national airline of Switzerland and is one of Europe's largest carriers.

American Airlines, the world’s largest carrier, together with its regional affiliates American Eagle and the AmericanConnection carriers, serves more than 250 cities in more than 40 countries and territories with more than 4,400 daily flights.

http://www.amrcorp.com/news/july02/23_swiss.htm
Old Jul 23, 2002, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Mr Gunn,

Could you arrange some nice LHR-ZRH codeshares, so that us UK-based AAdvantage members can fly AA-codeshares within Europe/Middle East/Africa/Asia?

We already have fewer mileage earning opportunities in Europe, so anything you can give us would always be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

777Brit
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Also, Mr. Gunn, I appreciate that you have a partnership with these nice folks. But can we at least have a ORD-ZRH on AA metal? I mean, fine, let Swiss have one of the JFK-ZRH. But ORD-ZRH (AA 6200/01) doesn't qualify for most seriously discounted fares (the imfamous "MUST NOT BE VIA AA FLT 6000-7999" message), and it doesn't qualify for using VIPOWs. I can usually get a better fare flying ORD-CDG and flying (gasp) AF the rest of the way.

Now, that wouldn't be the end of the world if you flew a F-100 ORD-JFK (ORD-JFK-ZRH-WAW in J is still better than ORD-WAW nonstop in Y w/o MRTC), but you don't. And surely you agree with me that leaving at 10am to fly ORD-DFW-ZRH-WAW is just a silly exercise.

So in summation: what do I, your loyal EXP, care about AA codeshares out of ZRH if I can't get to ZRH in the first place!
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:20 pm

ElmhurstNick, if you get around to circulating a petition, I could not agree more. With ORD as AA #2 hub, it seems strange no AA metal on ORD-ZRH and no AA anything on ORD-JFK. I hope we don't have to wait for JetBlue to launch service here to get us to JFK and beyond to ZRH.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:00 pm

Elmhurst.... agree with you on everything.

BTW, I'm sure BA is just loving all of this!

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy
Old Jul 24, 2002, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
I was just looking at tix to India in August and noticed the codeshares with Swiss to BOM. They are ticketed with a AA flt number. On the expensive side but still an added choice - too bad they cannot be used in OW RTWs.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 4:45 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
And dear Mr. Gunn, while we're at it, would you please also let SWISS put their lovely LX sign on a couple more of your wonderful domestic flights? Routes linking JFK,ATL,DFW,ORD,LAX,SFO and LAS would be much appreciated.

Or, to make things easier, just let me accrue QG status miles on your marvelous airline.

------------------
airOli, the Swiss Air Line.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 6:49 am

any idea how many AA miles it would take to get a free round trip USA-India?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 4:42 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
>any idea how many AA miles it would take to get a free round trip USA-India?

economy SR95A
Business SR150B
1st SR200A
"Between North America and Indian Subcontinent & Central/South Africa *"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.