Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need assistance figuring out how I got Gold!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Need assistance figuring out how I got Gold!

Hey all

I had signed up to that promo where AA offered elite status after flying 6k for gold, 12k for plat and 30k for Exec Plat and I thought I would miss the miles needed.
I checked my account today and I was pleasantly surprised to be Gold. I am not sure how I got it though and I wondered if you could help me figure it out.

here's my account info:

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 13,204
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 8,800
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 8
Miles Needed to Earn Elite Upgrades 10,000
Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Jun 3, 2015 44,561
500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance 3
Million Milersm Balance 190,855
Program to Date Miles 534,861
Total Available Award Mileage + 44,561

I had flown 4k EQM before I signed up for the promo so I assumed it would mean I needed 6k from Sept till end of Dec to hit the 6k needed for Gold, but it seems that it was backdated? I have one trip in F booked from DFW to LAS on 30th Dec returning 2nd Jan but I haven't flown that yet, and even with that outbound flight I would be 350 miles short of the 6k needed.

also, what does this mean:

thanks all!!
p.s I am not complaining, I just hope for clarification! I got the AA executive card but didn't spend 40k this year, so I know that didn't boost my account.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA:Platinum, HH:Diamond, SPG:Gold, Hertz:FS
Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
also, what does this mean:

That is for your sticker upgrades that you will earn.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just my guess but your flight(s) although earning miles at 1 eqm earned points @ 1.5 therefore giving you the 6000 eqp to get to gold. Just taking a wild stab at it with limited info!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Satblaster
Just my guess but your flight(s) although earning miles at 1 eqm earned points @ 1.5 therefore giving you the 6000 eqp to get to gold. Just taking a wild stab at it with limited info!
Sounds like a good guess to me. OP, was your challenge based on EQM or EQP?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Since AAdvantage and Dividend Miles have not yet merged to form one programme, this question relates to the pre-merger AAdvantage programme. As such, I'm moving this question to the relevant forum.

For details on this promo and its requirements, check out the existing thread:
Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

~Moderator
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
Since AAdvantage and Dividend Miles have not yet merged to form one programme, this question relates to the pre-merger AAdvantage programme. As such, I'm moving this question to the relevant forum.

For details on this promo and its requirements, check out the existing thread:
Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

~Moderator
In this case though, OP only flew about 4.8K more EQM to reach 8.8K for the year.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies all.

Yeah I really can't explain it, I only took 1 F return from DFW to LAS in October, and one Y from DFW to LAX in November. I have the F DFW to LAS in December but that hasn't been flown yet.
Anyway, I'll take it but I just wanted to see if I could understand why. thanks a lot everyone, appreciate the assistance.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I have a similar experience and I believe I figured out what the issue is. My gf signed up for the Fast Track to Elite offer and has flown 4,800 miles since September 1st. However, she was just given gold on Tuesday. After looking through the flight activity I noticed she flew boston-miami on 8/29 which is 1,256 miles. This flight would get her the 6,0000 miles needed for gold according to the offer. My only explanation is that american has mistakenly included some flights prior to the Seotember 1st initiation of the offer. Check your August activity to see if it helps explain.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

nope, that doesn't explain mine as I didn't have any flights in July or Aug or Sept..

I can only assume they used EQP as that may work but only just.

Either way I'm gonna just take it and quit trying to figure it out

thanks for the replies!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Did you happen to get rerouted due to IRROPS? Miss a flight and get rebooked? Request ORC?

<speculation>
I have a friend that signed up for the PLT challenge, got rerouted a time or two due to weather or MX delays, and found himself at PLT much earlier than he expected; almost like the system credited the original flights on top of those he actually flew.

My guess is that AA's system doesn't know the difference between flights that were actually flown and those that were not due to MX/IRROPS.
</speculation>
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

the only thing I can think of is that they did change the time of my DFW to LAX flight so I called and changed it to a later flight, as a result they changed the booking code from deep discount to Y. So, that's really the only thing.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I have a similar situation, but a different problem...

I also got in on the same promo as the OP. I flew to europe and back last month. On the way back, I took a volunteer bump and flew home the next day. The interesting thing is that all the miles posted to my AA account immediately, including the flight I bumped off. However, AA marked one of the trans-con flight as "pending confirmation" (I forget the exact wording) for almost a week. About a day after the message went away, and all flights showing normally, my status was upgraded to gold.

Perhaps they are somehow looking at the points, cuz I have a lot more points then miles (~just under 50% more).

The part I am having trouble is that with the normal flight credits, I get ~7000 miles. Enough for gold, but not for PLAT. However, if I add the 3rd undeserved flight, which, as far as I can tell in my account summary is legit, I should get PLAT. I didn't fly at all on AA otherwise. I really want PLAT, and is willing to earn the ~3500 miles I need. However, I'm afraid that if I call to ask about it, they'll discover it and take the miles away.

UPDATE DEC 13: this morning, my status changed from GOLD to PLAT! :-)
What must have happened is that during the 3-4 days that my underserved flight miles were in "PENDING" status, I was given gold, but the gold status showed up right at same time as the miles going from "PENDING" to "OK". After a few days (today), my status finally reflect the promotional status. I don't have to do a MR this year!

Last edited by chunky649; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:19 am Reason: updated status.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

yeah that's a tricky one. I personally would just settle for Gold rather than lose the additional miles, but it's your call. Update us if you do call!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
yeah that's a tricky one. I personally would just settle for Gold rather than lose the additional miles, but it's your call. Update us if you do call!
I was planning to call, but my status updated to PLAT today. (see my post above yours). I think I'm lucky that my promotional status updated properly, as many people complained that theirs did not update for the same promotion and had to call in.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

oh sweet! Congrats!

So, do you think they used EQP rather than EQM for this promo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.