Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX-MIA: Does GoGo wifi work over the Gulf?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

PHX-MIA: Does GoGo wifi work over the Gulf?

For PHX-MIA and MIA-PHX, on what percentage of the flight does GoGo wifi operate? Trying to decide if it's worth it to purchase. Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: None
Probably about 2/3. Possibly a little more depending on the location of ground stations - if the plane is abeam a coastal station GoGo would work 15 or more miles offshore.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
On this route this morning, Gogo worked even when we were furthest from the coast: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...250Z/KPHL/KMIA

Unless weather or traffic push you further south into the Gulf, I think it likely it works the whole way.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Did PHX / FLL with no more issues than standard.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Gogo used to have a coverage map on the web site. I haven't been able to find it for more than a year. At cruise altitude, maybe 100 miles offshore is how I recall it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
When does US start this route?

In any case I think it will depend on which aircraft is used. Some of the east aircraft are EOW certified so they could potentially go straight over the gulf and you might loose connectivity for a period of time. If it's a west crew/aircraft, they don't go far off the coast. Check out any flight between PHX-FLL, they follow the gulf coast, so you would remain connected in that case the entire flight.

I'm sure all of this will change with the merger.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:34 pm

I should have said that I used great circle routing, which at the furthest is over 100 mi from shore - probably close to 150. Actual routing could change flight to flight. Then there's aircraft overwater certification - that varies from about 60 miles offshore up to well over 100 offshore maximum unless ETOPS qualified. I don't know if any of the west planes, other than the 757s, are equipped to go over about 60 miles offshore.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

This should have been left in the AA forum.

I am the OP, and this question is for the daily AA 62 flight from PHX to MIA, if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:07 am

It might be a question better asked in the AA forum then. I'm not sure how far along AA is in adding GoGo to their fleet or what type of plane is normally used.

Jim
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by witneycat
I am the OP, and this question is for the daily AA 62 flight from PHX to MIA, if that makes any difference.
AA is pretty good at identifying wifi equipped aircraft within a day or two of travel even if the type isn't 100% equipped.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/enterta...and.jsp#!wi-fi
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 pm

The other unknown, at least to me, is the location of the ground stations where the flight may be offshor. The further they are inland the less you can go offshore and still get reception.

Jim
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Looking at flightaware, it appears that AA flies more or less directly across the gulf between the MSY area and MIA. From experience, US between PHX and FLL hugs the coast - generally coming into Florida around TPA or so. FWIW, UA between IAH and SE FL also seems to hug the coast. AA aircraft must be better rated to fly away from land.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moving this over to the pmAA forum.

Thanks!

aztimm/moderator
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA is pretty good at identifying wifi equipped aircraft within a day or two of travel even if the type isn't 100% equipped.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/enterta...and.jsp#!wi-fi
757s, 738s, 762s and MD80s are now, IIRC, 100% equipped.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Yes, you should be fine for the entire flight. I've always had continuous Gogo coverage on the Q routes across the Gulf.

Here are a few examples of tracks taken by AA flights between PHX & MIA:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...525Z/KPHX/KMIA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...045Z/KMIA/KPHX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.