Wiki Posts
Search

2 tickets for same flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt PLT, Starwood Gold
2 tickets for same flight

I did some searching and couldn't find this discussed anywhere. I am scheduled to fly trans con, 3 class, 777. My upgrade has yet to clear and it's not looking good. An award search shows the cheapest Business class on the same flight going for 50K miles, however 1st class has several saaver seats for 37.5k miles. If my upgrade doesn't clear, I'm tempted to use miles for first. My question is, if I use that ticket, will it mess up my return segment? Can I have the gate agent scan both my coach ticket and my award ticket to A) earn my miles and B) not disrupt the return portion of my trip?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As this thread does not relate specifically to post-merger activities of the new AA, I'll move this over to the pre-merger AA thread, where it's likely to get better exposure and assistance.

/Moderator
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jpayne
I did some searching and couldn't find this discussed anywhere. I am scheduled to fly trans con, 3 class, 777. My upgrade has yet to clear and it's not looking good. An award search shows the cheapest Business class on the same flight going for 50K miles, however 1st class has several saaver seats for 37.5k miles. If my upgrade doesn't clear, I'm tempted to use miles for first. My question is, if I use that ticket, will it mess up my return segment? Can I have the gate agent scan both my coach ticket and my award ticket to A) earn my miles and B) not disrupt the return portion of my trip?
NO. You can always use the Miles + Copay choice.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I don't believe it's possible. AA will also probably cancel one of the reservations as they are a duplicate. I agree with the suggestion for miles and copay. If you have EF, you can check this easily.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by keepssmile
NO. You can always use the Miles + Copay choice.
The OP is currently booked in Y, so there would have to be upgrade inventory available in J to use miles + co-pay.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
The OP is currently booked in Y, so there would have to be upgrade inventory available in J to use miles + co-pay.
The miles + copay books into C bucket, which is equivalent to using SWU and generally has more space compared to the complimentary X upgrade bucket.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jpayne
You cannot have double tickets on the flight like this.
You might be able to cancel the outbound of your ticket and keep the return.
It depends on the fare rules for your ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by keepssmile
The miles + copay books into C bucket, which is equivalent to using SWU and generally has more space compared to the complimentary X upgrade bucket.
Totally agree, was just saying there needed to be availability, that's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.