Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does one bad storm shut down AA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by daru1
I feel bad for all those people (of whom I was one) watching those UA, VX, and Spirit airplanes come and go as if nothing happened.
Yeah. It is easier to do a turn then get the crews from living in the base to the airport. Of course it is still not without risk
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by krlcomm
ORD is FAR more capable of handling weather like this...
Really, any airport is stuck when weather hits. ORD in June, a thunderstorm that lasted 15 min and I was delayed 12 hours due to the cancelations.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
So, you are suggesting massive schedule changes for the duration of a storm, and then quickly change the schedule back when the storm clears?
And, magically AA will be awarded take off and landing slots at these other location.? Or, do you just want AA to pay for additional slots all year, assuming they are available? And, of course, they would also hire extra people for those airports when a storm is about to hit, and then lay them off when the storm disappears?

Just my opinion here after more than 30 years of flying experience.

Considering American Airlines was not using the slots allocated for the fights to and from DFW, there's no issue there.

Most of the DFW based crews were in the middle of multi day trips during this situation, so having them fly to and from other hub cities is really not an issue either. They are only going to get back to DFW when operations get back to normal in any case.

Airlines and businesses need to have creative people in charge of their operations, not people that look for excuses why something can't be done.

soccer
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyersfo
In all my years as a frequent flyer, I've never seen a single bout of bad weather so severely cripple a major American airline. As a result of the storm in Dallas, American has pretty much stopped answering phone calls, even from its most elite members. If a call is answered on the Executive Platinum line, it will routinely take an hour. More often, the phone will go dead after 45 minutes or more. Goodness knows what is happening to passengers without any elite status.

All of the automated telephone systems -- the "recognize me" function, the call back functions -- have stopped working.

The website is virtually non-functional.

None of this bodes well for the "new" American Airlines.
Most of this post is garbage: "pretty much stopped answering phone calls", "phone will go dead after 45 minutes", "all of the automated telephone systems... have stopped working", "website is virtually non-functional". I had a trip disrupted this weekend and experienced none of this.

I live in central Texas and understand how an ice storm can cripple an area like no other type of incident. And very little can be done with the accumulated ice until temps get above freezing, which may (barely) happen today. Frankly I am amazed that AA is running as many flights as they are.

Call wait times could be quite long, and some agents weren't as flexible as they could have been, so I won't give AA a complete pass. They knew the weather was coming and could have had more employees in position when it hit. They had a false alarm about a week earlier, which may explain (but not excuse) why they were a bit flat-footed this time. And if the website had more rebooking functionality many calls could be avoided. Hopefully they will learn some lessons.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:42 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by soccerpapi
Airlines and businesses need to have creative people in charge of their operations
I agree. More writers and musicians and fewer logisticians and analysts.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Most of this post is garbage: "pretty much stopped answering phone calls", "phone will go dead after 45 minutes", "all of the automated telephone systems... have stopped working", "website is virtually non-functional". I had a trip disrupted this weekend and experienced none of this.
While there is probably some "hyperbole" there, I would say that calling the post "garbage" also borders on "hyperbole" as well.

I was supposed to fly to DFW on Friday morning (from MCI). Thursday night I was notified that my flight was cancelled. I called in and had a 1 hour wait (but was able to have them call me back so as to not have to wait on the phone the whole time.) I did have them drop my call once or twice while waiting (on some of my subsequent calls). Also, I had one agent just flat tell me she couldn't help me and quickly put me in another queue that had an hour wait. I had to hang up and call back. I have noticed that a few of the times I called in the online system couldn't find my reservations information (I would hear that sound while its looking for a longer than normal period and then it would say that it couldn't find my reservations. I would just hang up and call back a couple of times until it was able. I found that my wait (as a Plat) was shorter when it could figure out who I was and what reservation I had.

BTW, I'm still here in MCI trying to get on a flight. I'm now on a Monday morning flight. Somewhere in all those cancelled/changed flights, I can no longer access my reservation online any more. I just received an email confirmation for my flight on Monday, but I can't see it using either aa.com or the AA iphone app. And I have a friend with me in the same boat and he can't access his reservation online either. So something is going on with the online access.

With all that though, I understand the cancellations and really can't complain as AA has been very pro-active with notifying me. So I'm sitting here at the MCI Airport Hilton nice and warm with a room. ^ So while the cancellations have been inconvenient, I've been in worse situations before.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Just my opinion here after more than 30 years of flying experience.

Considering American Airlines was not using the slots allocated for the fights to and from DFW, there's no issue there.

Most of the DFW based crews were in the middle of multi day trips during this situation, so having them fly to and from other hub cities is really not an issue either. They are only going to get back to DFW when operations get back to normal in any case.

Airlines and businesses need to have creative people in charge of their operations, not people that look for excuses why something can't be done.

soccer
Right, in all of the years of airline experience by the people working at the major carriers, do you think this kind of idea has never been thought of?
Do you think it hasn't been done because nobody has thought of it? So, AA could move all of those planes flying those short routes to instead change all of the connections and fly those RJs from MIA
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by flyersfo
None of this bodes well for the "new" American Airlines.
None of this has anything to do with the "'new' American Airlines."
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mvoight
And, magically AA will be awarded take off and landing slots at these other location.? Or, do you just want AA to pay for additional slots all year, assuming they are available?
Takeoff and landing slots DO NOT EXIST at the vast majority of airports served by AA. There's no such thing at most US airports.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Just my opinion here after more than 30 years of flying

--trim--

soccer
You have figured it out... Immediately apply for the nearest airline CEO job.

I'm in process of applying for the armchair QB job with the cowboys.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Herb687
None of this has anything to do with the "'new' American Airlines."
They're now expected to not only move the mountains and earth... But to control the weather as well.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Well said. When the 100 year storm hit Connecticut last winter, the vast majority of people understood and hunkered down. Both governmental operations and communications were hampered. Operations by massive snow and communications by a failure of the reverse 911 notifications because, again, of the massive snow.

As I was helping out my friends in my hometown sort it all out, I was struck how an irrational few can drown out the vast majority of reasonable people. My favorite was the guy who was screaming that there should be enough staff and equipment on hand to clear a 100 year storm in 24 hours, and oh by the way, his taxes are too high.

In this case, an airline that has staffing sufficient for gigantic weather disruptions is an airline that is way overstaffed 350 days a year.

That said, I am flying BDL-LAX tomorrow morning and if a little weather in Dallas delays my flight or messes up my meal selection I'll be here screaming.

Originally Posted by dayone
Let me know which cities planned well for a similar ice storm. I recall Connecticut and the St Louis area experiencing similar shutdowns. Snow can be planned for. Ice? Not so much.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by austin_modern
You have figured it out... Immediately apply for the nearest airline CEO job.

I'm in process of applying for the armchair QB job with the cowboys.
Exactly the comparison I was thinking of.
The professionals are doing all wrong, so let the novices handle it.
Maybe someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night can handle Airline Operations, after he finishes the heart transplant, but before he gets back to his sales job
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
3 years ago, ATL got hit by an equally severe ice storm. Pax were stranded for days. Call hold times were in the hours. Don't know how dl.com was doing, but would not be surprised if it struggled.

One might dig up the FT thread, I suspect if one swaps DL/AA and ATL/DFW one would not even realize they were on the other thread.

WX happens.

Last edited by exwannabe; Dec 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by dayone
I know that hyperbole abhors perspective, but over a quarter-million people homes in DFW lost power on Friday.
^
(not for the lost power part, but the perspective part)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.