Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Telephone check in and no clue AT actual check in

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2002, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Telephone check in and no clue AT actual check in

Was flying out of SNA today for a short hop to San Jose. Used telephone check in.. Got through security no problems.

At the gate during boarding, I handed the agent my EXP card + drivers license and stated that I used telephone check in. She stated "no, I need a boarding pass"

Well I convince her to put the card in the boarding pass reader, it takes it and shows my name and seat number... Her comment as a 20 year AA veteran "Oh wow, I didn't know we did this!"

Next thing you know NO boarding reciept prints out from the Boarding card reader even though I'm checked in - The unit was out of paper. The other agent stated... "Oh, no one has ever shown me how to add paper to the machine"... He reprints the boarding pass quickly as a standard ticket/boarding pass..

Didn't delay me but just wondering if AA has communicated to all stations about telephone check in *AND* if AA agents actually know how it works (and how to add paper to the boarding card readers)
Old May 6, 2002, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I have had this happen even before telephone checkin (they would ask you security questions at the boarding pass reader). A lot of the agents just didn't know about the feature!
Old May 6, 2002, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA, Hotels.com WelcomeRewards, Marriott Rewards, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:
Didn't delay me but just wondering if AA has communicated to all stations about telephone check in *AND* if AA agents actually know how it works (and how to add paper to the boarding card readers)</font>
I used telephone checking in Tulsa a couple
of weeks ago. The gate agents said it was
the first time they had handled one, but
they did know what to do, the receipt did
print out, and they thanked me several times
for giving them a chance to try it.

-b-
Old May 7, 2002, 11:35 pm

Programs: aa gold, amex plat, spg gold, hertz gold (former wn cp, aa plat)
Although telephone check-in didn't work on my connection through Kansas City a month ago. It made me see the agent. Besides that I had a similar experience - although the gate agent first tried to put my aadvantage card through the regular ticket slot. I had to help her out...
Old May 10, 2002, 7:41 pm

Same thing happened to me in Feb at SAN. Gate agents didn't know about it, and said they were surprised that AA reinstituted phone check-in. Didn't get the memo, I guess!
Old May 10, 2002, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
My return flight from SJC-SNA resulted in the flight attendent working check in NOT knowing about Telephone check in (again)

.... and again, the machine was out of paper. Agent re-printed the boarding pass.

I called the EXP line and asked for customer relations. Got a supervisor on the regular line who filed a complaint on SNA and SJC stations not filling the boarding reciept paper and NOT advising local station members that Telephone check in is back on. Let's see if this gets fixed for next time
Old May 11, 2002, 7:49 pm
W-N

Programs: AA PLT 3MM..... WN CP & A-List Preferred.... SPG Platinum
I've used telephone check-in several times. Most of the time, I forget it's available. Beware, it never works at the gates in LAS! A few weeks ago, they advised me that it would be fixed. I flew out yesterday and it still wasn't working. I asked the GA to advise the station manager, again, about the problem. Everywhere else seems to work, except for running out of paper now and then. Most of the time I have to show them what to do with the card after the frequent "you have to have a boarding pass" comment.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Again, this morning at SNA, an agent who said "we don't do this anymore"... Made her insert the card anyway, it stated my seat number and name and the light went green.. BUT YOU GUESSED IT! No paper in the machine. She had to pull me aside hold up the line and print a boarding pass.

She got all defensive when I asked why they never fill them with paper. Her answer was "well you shouldn't use Telephone check in" Does ANYONE have a clue at AA these days???

Called the EX-PLT number, asked for a supervisor they sent a message to the station manager. I asked for a response back.

Not expecting much... After all I'm trying to save AA $$$ by not taking up an agents time.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 12:17 pm

can someone tell me where on the website
there is info on telephone check in as I
can't seem to find it. thanks
Old Jul 2, 2002, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
When I did telephone check-in and the machine at the gate wouldn't print, the agent just told me to go ahead and board.

I was a little worried about someone being in my seat, the flight not posting, etc. But it was fine.

I must say I don't see any benefit to using this procedure. The phone call takes a long time, and you're just asking for hassles at security and again at the gate. I won't do it again (unless they offer bonus miles again).
Old Jul 3, 2002, 6:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by baloo:
can someone tell me where on the website
there is info on telephone check in as I
can't seem to find it. thanks
</font>
http://www.aa.com/tci
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Ready2Go, the phone call takes me about 40 seconds....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.