Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you usually access the Admirals Club now?
I am a regular Admirals Club member
13.87%
I am a CitiBank AAdvantage Executive card member
6.34%
AMEX Platinum or Centurion card
65.26%
oneworld (AA etc.) status or class of service for eligible flights
10.17%
Occasional pass / 30 day membership as needed
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can edit this post to update or correct, as well as minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.

For renewing Admirals Club members, the annual fees are:
EXP / EP / Executive Platinum: $350 or 45,000 miles
PLT / Platinum: $400 or 55,000 miles
GLD / Gold: $425 or 60,000 miles
No Status- $450 or 70,000 miles
For those who are purchasing membership the first time, add $50 or 10,000 miles.

Alternatives include a 30 day membership ($99, full membership privileges, thirty continuous days, no guests) and a one day Pass ($50, no guests, use all day at all / any Clubs possible). See here.

Another is the CitiBank AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard, $450 annual fee, including Admirals Club membership and other benefits, such as 2 miles per dollar spend on AA, one free bag, etc. see here.

oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members still have access when eligible for access in accordance with oneworld lounge access rules.
Print Wikipost

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:11 am

MB Plat here - received $200 offer. About 50 visits to AA lounges and ~10k on spending. It seemed like that would be enough usage to receive $500 offer if AA lounge visits was a main determinant.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I'm also wondering whether the size of the offer has to do with whether you're on an individual/joint account (w/additional cardholders) <snip>.
Good point. I have three authorized users on my account.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Good point. I have three authorized users on my account.
And do they use the clubs on their own, too, or typically is it just you/them with you?

I also wonder if it has anything to do with whether you pay an additional annual fee for those other users. I have one additional on my account, but part of the offer was that one additional card was free.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Wow the merger is not even closed yet! A big screw you to the justice department; from their August 13 release-

Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging Proposed Merger Between US Airways and American Airlines

Merger Would Result in U.S. Consumers Paying Higher Airfares and Receiving Less Service; Lawsuit Seeks to Maintain Competition in the Airline Industry
Except that this is AA/US providing IMPROVED service to its frequent flyers. The lounges are overrun with Amex Plat entrants. If this reduces density in the clubs, then this is a very, very good thing.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Am I correct in thinking that there isn't really any loss of access to US Air clubs, so long as they're still branded as US lounges? We get US access for free via Priority Pass. US lounges will become AA lounges at some point next year, but I would think that until that happens, we can use PP for access to US lounges.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Hmmmm...

...no email yet either. $15k on airline stuff last year, ~$10k on AA. All personal travel and all on normal AMEXP. Probably used the clubs a dozen or so times total but also used the Centurion Club in DFW. <<--maybe it's no surprise that's the second location [first was no-man's land] since both parties probably knew about this deal for some time. Okie dokie, ORD, yer next.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie
It's likely due to your lounge usage history. Heavy users of the AA/US lounges received the $500 credit offer, all others received $200.

The credit only starts in March, since you will still have access to the AA/US lounges through March 2014. Your renewal date is probably not a factor in the $ amount of the credit.

I might ask Amex if they can bump me up to the $500, as I switched to AA as my primary airline and will likely have greater than 4 lounge visits from March - December 2014.
It certainly wasn't "all others" who received the $200 offer; I have two AMEX Platinum cards (personal, MB) and received no offers. I called today and was told that I was "not selected" for this offer.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, VX Gold, SPG Gold
Well placing a Centurion Lounge in DFW certainly makes a lot of sense in retrospect. For what it's worth, if you're flying through DFW it's a clear winner over any AC. Not huge, but probably the best airline lounge I've been to in the USA. Haven't tried getting airline assistance, but the amenities are a clear win.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Except that this is AA/US providing IMPROVED service to its frequent flyers. The lounges are overrun with Amex Plat entrants. If this reduces density in the clubs, then this is a very, very good thing.
I have to agree with this. As an EXP and AC member, this can only result in an improved experience for me. As with all things though, YMMV.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
A very, very good thing unless all the lost revenue from those pesky Amex Plat leeches means there isn't enough money to support the number of clubs or the size of existing clubs.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, VX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ORDMD80
those pesky Amex Plat leeches
Hi, we're still here. Sorry we ruined your experience by quietly enjoying the provided amenities we paid for.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by MoJ0
For those considering cancelling their AX cards ... keep in mind that you can downgrade to a Gold card and they will refund the annual difference (prorated). I've upgraded, downgraded, and upgraded again during the last decade based on changing benefits.
Wouldn't it be better to sign up for the gold card new and get a bonus and then cancel the platinum?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by rborkows
Hi, we're still here. Sorry we ruined your experience by quietly enjoying the provided amenities we paid for.
Agreed. I'm sure the revenue from Amex won't be missed at all.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rborkows
Should have used a /SARCASM tag.. I'm one of those leeches.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've been a PLAT card holder for 22 years since I first started traveling heavily internationally for work back in the pre-ATM days when AMEX Travel offices in big European cities were the most efficient way of getting cash. It's my oldest card and I'd hate to give it up. I used the lounge access every few months in the last couple of years with DL and more recently with AA/US.

I haven't gotten any email on the topic, but probably because I've only used the AA and US lounges a half dozen times in 2014. I doubt I will get a club membership, and the economics of a day pass rarely works for me.

Reading this, I assume the next step is that the PMUS clubs will drop out of Priority Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.