MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
WIKIPOST Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

THREAD LINKS FOR DOCUMENTED OR ANNOUNCED CHANGES:

USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges March 22, 2014 (4 Dec 2013; not genuinely merger related, but a significant change).
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 2, 13, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Isn't US leasing one of those three gates from WN?
WN is in T1. US is (supposed to be) moving to T3 with VX.
Old Dec 2, 13, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
I doubt that AA PLTs, lifetime or otherwise, would be downgraded from OW Sapphire. Both UA & DL's 50k levels are roughly equivalent to Sapphire, so IMHO, it wouldn't be competitive to downgrade PLTs to Ruby.

As for the MM programs/lifetime status, AFAIK, 1MM on both AA & US are already equivalent tiers (AA Gold, US Silver), so there probably won't be many changes there in terms of benefits. This is only a guess, but perhaps the downgrades for PLTs would be to bonus miles (100% down to 50%) and priority (LT & 50k PLTs will fall below the 75k level).

I do wonder how they'll deal with the elite tiers during the transition and in the new program, since AA Gold /= US Gold and AA Plat /= US Plat right now.
It would be great if they give lifetime 75K tier status for 3 million miles.
Old Dec 2, 13, 10:46 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
And they used to have a flight to AGS from DCA.
They still do.
Old Dec 2, 13, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
Would be even better if they didn't have a 75k tier and kept LT Plat benefits as they are and at 2mm.
Old Dec 2, 13, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy View Post
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
In general, the ratio of F to Y seats is less favorable in the US fleet, but I would not expect them to change the ratios on the current AA planes.
Make sure you're sitting down before you look at the 319 seat map.
Yikes. I haven't paid much attention to the discussion about the AA 319s. For some reason I thought they had 12 F seats, like DL (which cut back from NW's 16). The US configuration would indeed be a big improvement, but I would assume new 319s (if US has any on order) will be built to the AA specs.

My only real concern is that the new AAdvantage Program adopts 4 elite levels, lifetime platinums get the second tier from the bottom and this tier does not come with Oneworld Saphire status.
All the major airlines provide international lounge access to their 50K elite tier. I would not expect that to go away even if a 75K level were added. However, I would not expect the 100% mileage bonus to survive.

Regarding upgrades there are interesting differences in priority. Both base it primarily on elite tier, of course, but within elite tier US prioritizes based on "the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months". AA bases it on time of request. UA and DL rank by fare class, within each elite tier. It will be interesting to see how that settles out. The AA model works well for me.

Also, it appears that the lowest tier US elite flying on a Y or B fare will trump even the highest tier (CP) flying on a discount fare, and the upgrade can be confirmed any time. AA only upgrades within the stated windows, even for full fare, and elite tier trumps all.
Old Dec 3, 13, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
About American Airlines: Challenges Ahead Include Merging Systems, Changing Alliances, and Aligning In-Flight Service

The good news in this article is that there's still hope for a new livery to be designed. I still can't get used to the 2013 "new american".
Old Dec 3, 13, 7:44 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,7MM), WN
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
One of my largest concerns is what happens to some of the smaller markets served by AA and US. At some point there will likely be consolidation of service to better reflect demand and travel patterns.
I'm interested in the addition of ISP and AA's return to BUR. I have strong doubts either will survive.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
i've flown US about 5 times in the past 3 years mix of Shuttle and regional props and although it was nothing special and not up to what AA is like, it was perfectly fine and the employees i encountered were fine.
Don't expect US employees to survive the merger. US West, in particular, will get gutted as they have no seniority when compared with AA lifers and US East employees.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
RDU - AA and US are in the same terminal building, if at different ends. But the terminal isn't that big, so this should work for now. Delta would have to swap with US or United would have to swap with AA, presumably, to get the combined AA in contiguous gates. Probably the former.
Actually, RDU's not quite that simple. AA has to be where it is b/c that's where the intl gates are. Delta also apparently is pretty adamant about not moving, since they have the gates closest to the SkyClub (including the ones right in front of it). The best shot I see is to potentially try shifting UA down towards the US gates (which will be nearer to the US club which I bet becomes a UA/Star Alliance Club). Then shift DL down a few gates so that they are right in middle of terminal. Hopefully, that frees up enough for the larger AA at end of terminal.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was thinking the same thing just the other day.

Originally Posted by Stripy View Post
Would be even better if they didn't have a 75k tier and kept LT Plat benefits as they are and at 2mm.
This was what I was hoping for, just the other day

I have over 2MM, but am a long way from 3MM, so I'd be fine with 25/50/100 tiers and 1MM/2MM get the first two tiers lifetime. A 75 tier with lifetime at 3MM would move me down the pecking order.

It's fair/logical, but that doesn't mean I want to see it.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

American and US will slowly begin to align their product offerings, including meals, in-flight entertainment, and seating. The merged airline will use the current American product as its template and, as a result, the current US Airways product will be greatly enhanced to ensure uniformity across both airlines until they are merged under one operating certificate.

There are two additional key dates later in the year, according to people familiar with the matter. On April 1, US Airways will adopt American’s meal windows and catering, and on September 1, the US Airways soft product (i.e. in-flight service) will mirror American’s. Also by that date, new aircraft being delivered to US Airways will have the new AA interiors. A spokesman for US Airways would not comment specifically about these plans.
Interesting. I was told by many regulAArs that AA would be destroyed by US's product offerings diluting American's.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:26 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,7MM), WN
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Interesting. I was told by many regulAArs that AA would be destroyed by US's product offerings diluting American's.
Give it three years.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by former230 View Post
As an MCI based flier, one of the positives from this merger are that I should be able to get direct flights to places other than DFW or ORD.

Finally!!

For those other MCI AA'ers, I spoke with some airport insiders who indicated that US/AA will be moving to the end of the C terminal (opposite end that United resides) and that ultimately Frontier will be taking over their current gates (76-79)

I am optimistic that this new space will be much larger to accommodate the newly merged airline.
Are the high C gates (85-90) reconfigured for TSA? I haven't been down there in years. I would have hoped that post-merger, AA would re-open the MCI Admirals Club (the room is "open seating" currently) with the doubling of traffic at this spoke. If they move, a new club would have to be built. Or maybe they could re-open the ancient club upstairs on the mezzanine.

It would be easier to move Frontier to C-90 rather than relocate all of AA's existing hardware.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:40 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
New AA/US at BOS

I am also eager to see what happens at BOS.

AA had a big presence at BOS ten or so years ago, but cut way back when it began implementing its "Cornerstone" strategy.

When AA pulled out, the vacuum was filled by JetBlue. JetBlue now has the largest market share by far of any carrier at BOS, although a merged AA/US will be much closer. There are a number of destinations that a BOS flyer can reach only via JetBlue. None of the Big Three (Delta, United and new AA) is dominant at BOS and BOS is the largest MSA in the country (#10) that does not have a dominant hub airline. (Of course it is the northeasternmost large city in the country, so hub status may not make sense for other reasons).

Also, it will be interesting to see how the addition of the USAir Shuttle to the AA route network will affect things.

And, we are seeing an increase in international service from non-US carriers at BOS (over the past year, new service has been initiated or announced to Tokyo, Istanbul, Beijing, Panama City, and Dubai), with more supposedly in the works.

Finally, with the significant renovation of Terminal B scheduled for Spring 2014, AA and US (together with Massport) will need to figure out how/whether they can get a contiguous footprint at Terminal B, and what they might do with it.

So, lots of interesting open questions/uncertainties at BOS.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by lhl12 View Post
I am also eager to see what happens at BOS.

AA had a big presence at BOS ten or so years ago, but cut way back when it began implementing its "Cornerstone" strategy.

When AA pulled out, the vacuum was filled by JetBlue. JetBlue now has the largest market share by far of any carrier at BOS, although a merged AA/US will be much closer. There are a number of destinations that a BOS flyer can reach only via JetBlue. None of the Big Three (Delta, United and new AA) is dominant at BOS and BOS is the largest MSA in the country (#10) that does not have a dominant hub airline. (Of course it is the northeasternmost large city in the country, so hub status may not make sense for other reasons).

Also, it will be interesting to see how the addition of the USAir Shuttle to the AA route network will affect things.

And, we are seeing an increase in international service from non-US carriers at BOS (over the past year, new service has been initiated or announced to Tokyo, Istanbul, Beijing, Panama City, and Dubai), with more supposedly in the works.

Finally, with the significant renovation of Terminal B scheduled for Spring 2014, AA and US (together with Massport) will need to figure out how/whether they can get a contiguous footprint at Terminal B, and what they might do with it.

So, lots of interesting open questions/uncertainties at BOS.
Isn't a (post-security) connector between B North and B South scheduled to open in 2014? That should solve the Boston combination issue since AA is in B North and US is in B South.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...0-ug-list.html

We can pontificate all we want about the structure of the post-merger Advantage program, but as the above describes, there are some realities of the much larger entity that make much of it moot - particularly on more desirable routes.

I am reminded of a Thursday afternoon BOS-LAX flight a few years back, when there were more than 50 EXPs on the UG list...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: