MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
WIKIPOST Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

THREAD LINKS FOR DOCUMENTED OR ANNOUNCED CHANGES:

USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges March 22, 2014 (4 Dec 2013; not genuinely merger related, but a significant change).
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 13, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Kicking myself iin the butt for selling my 200 shares back at 2.50. The new stock ticket AAL is at $24.50. I was going to buy a fee hundred shares when it was at its lowest.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 9, 13 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Interesting AP interview of Parker this morning.

It seems to me that he's taking a cautious approach.
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:26 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,7MM), WN
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Kicking myself iin the butt for selling my 200 shares back at 2.50. The new stock ticket AAL is at $24.50. I was going to buy a fee hundred shares when it was at its lowest.
People holding old AMR stock didn't get shares in AAL. People holding shares in LCC now have shares in AAL.
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:26 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Wearing my black arm band tomorrow.
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer View Post
LA World Airports (LAWA) has to manage the situation until the settlement agreement expires or comes up for renegotiation.

Planning has not stopped on building more gates (e.g., the Midfield Satellite Concourse). It is just that the new gates/new terminal will replace existing gates at the West Remote Gate Facility and even the American Eagle Commuter Facility.

The Satellite Concourse (MSC) will have 29 gates, 11 gates in the first phase. To make it work under the existing gate cap, LAWA could trade X-number of gates at the MSC for AA's right to 12 gates at the Commuter Facility (AA operates only 10 of the 12 now) and replace X-number of Remote gates. (There are 18 Remote gates.)

You could even be looking at a scenario where LAWA transfers all of AA's gates rights (outside of T4) to the MSC. The 12 for the Commuter Facility plus the 4 preferential at TBIT West would result in 16 gates at the MSC. That is three more more gates than AA has at T4 today. Effectively, AA would end up with a brand new terminal.

Not saying this is what is going to happen because LAWA could also close T3 to get the 12-13 additional gates it needs to make the numbers work. But, if the MSC construction begins with no set schedule for runway realignment, the more practical math involves a trade with AA. There are even contractual issues between LAWA and AA that would incentivize the trade.
First I had heard, seen of the MSC - interesting.

It appears that the MSC will be used as a temporary facility while other terminals, gates are remodeled. If this is indeed the case, it will be some time before LAWA would be in a position to replace the AE remote terminal with it.

I see no real benefit of the MSC versus the current AE remote terminal - both will require a bus ride from the main terminal - particularly when there is an Admiral's Club in the AE facility.

The current upgrades to the AE remote terminal suggest to me that it will be there for a while.

More important question: will the MSC allow AA to add more MAINLINE flights? Upgrade some AE service to mainline?
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Pop quiz for those interested...

If I book a PHL-ATH flight now on US using UA miles in economy. What are the odds that sometime before the flight in August '14, that I will be able to use either AA miles or a SWU to get bumped to business class?

Is that feasible? Or do you think using UA miles makes it so no changes can happen at all.
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
Pop quiz for those interested...

If I book a PHL-ATH flight now on US using UA miles in economy. What are the odds that sometime before the flight in August '14, that I will be able to use either AA miles or a SWU to get bumped to business class?

Is that feasible? Or do you think using UA miles makes it so no changes can happen at all.
1) You can't use a SWU to upgrade award tickets
2) You can't use miles to upgrade award tickets - you can cancel an award and purchase a new one in a different class if space opens up.

So, based on 1 & 2 above, there's no need to speculate on whether UA miles come into play or not.
Old Dec 9, 13, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Hyatt
Any guess to when AA will announce a new frequent flyer program/chart? Is the general consensus that this announcement will come with a devaluation? I need to book a partner award for next November.
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
People holding old AMR stock didn't get shares in AAL. People holding shares in LCC now have shares in AAL.
I was reading something about a poor conversion rate of AAMRQ to AAL but my remaining 10 shares were still showing as 10 shares. I ended up selling those today
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFOvacations View Post
Any guess to when AA will announce a new frequent flyer program/chart? Is the general consensus that this announcement will come with a devaluation? I need to book a partner award for next November.
Announcements of the new program won't occur for at least a month, but could take much longer. It's been made public that the programs won't combine as one until 2015, so there's that. As far as redemption rates, that too will probably take some time to be changed. When the rates are changed, they will almost certainly be for the worst. Both DL and UA did so and it would make very little sense for AA not to follow suit. (Although I would speculate that rates may be kept lower as OneWorld is still the smallest of the alliances.)
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:16 pm

Uh, no, AMR stockholders get at least a 0.0665:1 swap
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Chase UR, Orbitz Rewards Gold
Hoping we can transfer miles between accounts pretty soon. Between my US and AA accounts I can get that Qantas F award. Want to book it as soon as I can while the getting's good, before any further devaluations, possible fuel surcharges, QF's financial troubles, etc put an end to my little dream.
Old Dec 9, 13, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Yes, just not with members of other alliances. Just saying.
^false

first two that come to mind oneworld-related...
JAL/Korean
AA/China Eastern (believe this was discontinued recently though)
Old Dec 9, 13, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Now that the merger has closed, this discussion will continue in the consolidated forum here:
AA/US Merger Integration General Discussion [Master Thread]

~Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: