Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKIPOST Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

THREAD LINKS FOR DOCUMENTED OR ANNOUNCED CHANGES:

USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges March 22, 2014 (4 Dec 2013; not genuinely merger related, but a significant change).
Print Wikipost

MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by FabrizioB
I couldn't tell what to expect today, but for sure I was expecting at least "something" on usairways.com and aa.com... It's midday here in Europe and 6:30am in Nyc and there's just no news on both sides

Can't wait to see AA back (AA codeshare number on Piedmont flights) in my small town airport in North Carolina
And I'm waiting and I'll watch any move about RDU flights (affraid that RDU-LHR won't survive).
Some brief commentary on local NY TV and Foxnews this morning. Just boarded AA 33 JFK LAX and not even a clown and balloons at the gate. Could the consumation be low key and low cost?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 am

When will I be able to use AA miles to purchase USAirways Flights

I am sure this has been answered in this thread but I don't really want to read all 17 pages so please forgive me.

We are planning to travel to FCO and back from VCE from BOS in June 2014. It just doesn't work (without high fees) to go on AA where we have plenty of miles. USAirways have good flights for this routing but we only have enough Dividend miles for one ticket.

Do you think I will be able to use my AA miles to fly the USAirways route sometime soon? Saw somewhere that this arrangement might be available as soon as January 6, 2014. If that's the case, I will hold off paying for the tickets and use my AA miles to 'buy' them.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:26 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by CPRich
And the "no way AA would have done this, even though every other airline has, and every program has historically devalued over time. We know "old" AA never would have followed along, so everything is DP's fault" argument, I assume.

It's starting to sounds as bad as US political discussions.
Have not a clue as to what you are saying. It's not even in the form of a coherent sentence. My "three years" comment referred to the settlement that UScAAre reached with the DOJ and nothing more.

Originally Posted by dtremit
That's only if the integration is based purely on DOH. I suspect that it won't be. Ironically, it's the few ex-TW employees who are likely to get the shortest end of the stick, again.
Didn't the remaining TW-hanger-on-ers leave in the last round of buy-outs?

Originally Posted by FWAAA
"A bias for action with less preparation." For those who have followed US Airways for a long time, that admission explains a lot.
Yeah, like how DP would give up an entire terminal at LGA... So dumb.

Originally Posted by AA777
A leopard doesn't change it's spots, and I fail to see how Parker and company suddenly will.
+1

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Add to the fact AA's cost basis is once again going to increase dramatically, I don't see how this ends well.

"Five weeks from now, after an 8 percent pay raise, our hourly pay rates will be 12.3 percent higher than when AMR filed bankruptcy. In January 2015, we will receive another 3 percent raise followed by a January 2016 move to the average of pay rates at Delta and United, which we estimate to be another 15–16 percent improvement. With 3.5 percent raises in 2017 and 2018, our pay rates will be higher than those at Southwest, Delta and United, and our 777 captain rates will be 10–12 percent higher than the highest pay rates currently at FedEx and UPS."

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...nkruptcy.html/
I don't see how any of these increases will be sustainable without a substantial reduction in headcount.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
They will do it by cutting under performing capacity and thus raise fares, continue to increase fees, monetize F and so on. Also, to the chagrin of employees reductions in staffing. This is what this merger was really about.
I don't think UScAAre is allowed to cut "under performing capacity" for three years as per the terms of their settlement with the DOJ. That means routes out of places like ISP or BUR are here to stay (for a short time at least).

The only region in the world where AA is substantially underperforming is in Asia. AA and JAL are getting very low yields and unit revenue compared to DL and UA. And there aren't any serious analysts or even Flyertalkers claiming that new AA needs to gut its Japan and China flights that are seriously underperforming. Except for DFW-NRT, AA is losing money on just about every other Asian route, with the biggest underperformer being Haneda, which AA cut this past weekend.
In re: HND, AA made the cut because it was in the worst time-slot. I flew SFO-HND and made the last Monorail train out to Daimon by a whopping 7 minutes. If I were not seated in C, then I would have been taking a cab ride that would've easily cost over $100,-. Further, the Japanese Government gave preference to NH over JL at the airport making it difficult for AA pax to connect to what JL flights are left w/o overnighting.

In re: AA vs. other carriers flying between the US and Asia, they have not provided a solid, consistent product, and have not marketed their wares in China, Japan or Korea. People tend to vote with their feet, and what the Asian consumer is saying is that: "American is the Greyhound bus of the skies." They would rather take Air China, China Southern, or even OW partners CX/JL, which have dozens of flights, than an airline that is running a couple of busted 772s.

Problems with cutting and not growing is that cutting raises the unit costs even higher, and new AA needs the revenue. New AA has a lot more debt than Delta and that debt needs serviced, and that takes lots of revenue.
+1

Originally Posted by ty97
I believe all of VX's current flights either start or end on the west coast. No way to do that from LGA so I wonder where they will fly?
ANSWER: They will achieve this by flying from ORD to LGA or IAD to LGA or DCA to LGA. It's not impossible at all. Further, I would love if they opened a LGA-YYZ/YTZ route to give AC/PD some competition. Those prices are ridiculous, and could stand to be brought down a peg or two.

Originally Posted by Himeno
That doesn't mean that US will necessarily match was AA has now. It means they will much whatever AA has in March.
+1, This is much how I interpret those words, but we'll just have to wait and see. Further, I again state that there's a lot to be said for "earning and burning." Just saying.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Whatever happens it will be better than what is being served on US currently and better than what UA is doing..
One would hope, but no one will know that answer for sure. Not right now at least.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I suspect there will be no announcements until after the US Supreme Court ruling on the merger. An individual filed suit against the merger and the case goes to the Supreme Court today (Dec 9th). I am guessing that after the ruling an annoucement will be made (as it is unlikely that the Surpreme Court will deny the merger).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by uxb
Didn't the remaining TW-hanger-on-ers leave in the last round of buy-outs?
I don't have it in front of me any more, but I read an article about a week ago that suggested about 900 ex-TW employees were still at AA.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Here's an update (from our newsroom) one frequent flyer account integration:

In a letter to employees, Parker said that customers will soon be able to earn and redeem rewards miles on both program. The US Airways program, Dividend Miles, will eventually be merged into American’s AAdvantage program. In addition, in early January, the AA code will be placed on all US Airways flights and vice versa, as the combined airline aligns its schedule.

Another significant change for customers will be the co-location of American and US Airways in airports, starting with its hubs.
above from
US Airways to Leave Star Alliance March 30, Join Oneworld March 31, Begins Integration of Frequent Flyer Accounts

It also announced the following:
In addition, US Airways said that it will continue numerous relationships with airlines in Star Alliance after it leaves at the end of March. Flyers will be able to continue earn miles on the following airlines: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP, and Turkish Airways.

Last edited by jspira; Dec 9, 2013 at 8:36 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:23 am

I guess we're all one group now...for better or worse,

AZCentral is reporting AA in PHX to move from T3 to T4 in mid-February: http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arti...g-airline.html.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:35 am
uxb

Originally Posted by cova
I suspect there will be no announcements until after the US Supreme Court ruling on the merger. An individual filed suit against the merger and the case goes to the Supreme Court today (Dec 9th). I am guessing that after the ruling an annoucement will be made (as it is unlikely that the Surpreme Court will deny the merger).
An individual separate from the group that got their "no"-response last night?

Originally Posted by dtremit
I don't have it in front of me any more, but I read an article about a week ago that suggested about 900 ex-TW employees were still at AA.
Ridiculous. The cuts need to be greater than 900 though. As such, HP-employees should start making plans.

Originally Posted by jspira

In addition, US Airways said that it will continue numerous relationships with airlines in Star Alliance after it leaves at the end of March. Flyers will be able to continue earn miles on the following airlines: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP, and Turkish Airways.
I don't see how they can continue their relationship with any of those airlines after 31 March. That's prolly wishful thinking on their part. Either that, or one or more of those airlines are planning on joining a fourth alliance with EK+QF leading the way.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
I don't see how they can continue their relationship with any of those airlines after 31 March. That's prolly wishful thinking on their part.
Airlines have codeshare agreements outside of alliances all the time.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Another thing that won't be happening is a big new AA terminal at LAX ala JFK or MIA. T-4 plus the four gates at the TBIT and the remote Eagle outpost are the reality.

[...] One clarification: I don't believe that LAWA has been opposed to additional gates - it's the neighboring communities of El Segundo, Culver City and others (including some residents in Los Angeles neighborhoods like Westchester) that sued LAWA to block additional gate construction.

The settlement does require that up to 10 gates be eliminated if traffic levels exceed 75 million passengers a year.

Unless that stupid settlement is overturned, LAX is going to get smaller, not larger.
LA World Airports (LAWA) has to manage the situation until the settlement agreement expires or comes up for renegotiation.

Planning has not stopped on building more gates (e.g., the Midfield Satellite Concourse). It is just that the new gates/new terminal will replace existing gates at the West Remote Gate Facility and even the American Eagle Commuter Facility.

The Satellite Concourse (MSC) will have 29 gates, 11 gates in the first phase. To make it work under the existing gate cap, LAWA could trade X-number of gates at the MSC for AA's right to 12 gates at the Commuter Facility (AA operates only 10 of the 12 now) and replace X-number of Remote gates. (There are 18 Remote gates.)

You could even be looking at a scenario where LAWA transfers all of AA's gates rights (outside of T4) to the MSC. The 12 for the Commuter Facility plus the 4 preferential at TBIT West would result in 16 gates at the MSC. That is three more more gates than AA has at T4 today. Effectively, AA would end up with a brand new terminal.

Not saying this is what is going to happen because LAWA could also close T3 to get the 12-13 additional gates it needs to make the numbers work. But, if the MSC construction begins with no set schedule for runway realignment, the more practical math involves a trade with AA. There are even contractual issues between LAWA and AA that would incentivize the trade.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:40 am
uxb

Originally Posted by jspira
Airlines have codeshare agreements outside of alliances all the time.
Yes, just not with members of other alliances. Just saying.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Quote:

That's an interesting aside..if it holds true, then presumably US Airways aka American Airlines will have mileage earning avenues across much of Star Alliance.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by lizs
I guess we're all one group now...for better or worse,
Probably for worse I say.

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't see how any of these increases will be sustainable without a substantial reduction in headcount.
I wonder what unions will think of that.

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't think UScAAre is allowed to cut "under performing capacity" for three years as per the terms of their settlement with the DOJ. That means routes out of places like ISP or BUR are here to stay (for a short time at least).
Only if the routes are "feasible". I put feasible in quotes because according to the settlement, if the route is having "financial problems" it can be cut. "Financial problems" is vague at best and can be applied for practically any reason.

Idiot DOJ + STATES. They let us down on this one.

To me, there is a reason why UA, DL, CO and NW didn't want to merge with US Airways post 2005.

Every single one of those carriers had an opportunity to merge with US Airways yet didn't.

IMHO, US low-yielding route structure really doesn't bring anything to the table.

Add the fact there will be a massive rise in cost structure and I simply don't see how this merger isn't anything short of a failure.

"D-" grade from me.

As I have incessantly stated, "hope I'm wrong" but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be betting too much on this merger as a "positive".

Last edited by Jacobin777; Dec 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:03 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I request a direct flight from from GSP to MIA
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:07 am
uxb

I wonder what unions will think of that.
Unions have been overly weakened by the Great Recession. They will kowtow, and sacrifice the young, because the alternative is no job.

Idiot DOJ + STATES. They let us down on this one.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.