MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
WIKIPOST Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

THREAD LINKS FOR DOCUMENTED OR ANNOUNCED CHANGES:

USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Access to Admirals Club/US Airways Lounges March 22, 2014 (4 Dec 2013; not genuinely merger related, but a significant change).
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 3, 13, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
I'm not exactly sure what "closer" means, in this context.

Regardless -- even if it is the case, it doesn't explain why BA would care how many elite tiers AA has in its FF program.

AAdvantage and Executive Club are not meaningfully integrated in any way, beyond reciprocal earning and alliance membership, and do not particularly compete with each other. BA has three tiers, but qualifying works very differently from AA's, and the metals are all wrong
I would say that AA/QF are closer, with a reciprocal lounge agreement, shared LAX lounge, and shared gates at LAX.
Old Dec 3, 13, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro (12yr EXP) - 2.1 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
I would say that AA/QF are closer, with a reciprocal lounge agreement, shared LAX lounge, and shared gates at LAX.
AA and QF are close, but there are areas where AA and BA are pretty tight together. Shared lounge at DEN is similar to the QF LAX arrangement.
Old Dec 3, 13, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (WP8 (Amber): Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521))

Originally Posted by BrianV
Originally Posted by PainCorp View Post
AA and QF are close, but there are areas where AA and BA are pretty tight together. Shared lounge at DEN is similar to the QF LAX arrangement.
The JFK-LHR synergy has to be a unique situation ...in my estimation more important to the partners than, say, IAD-FRA.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aa4ever View Post
Actually, RDU's not quite that simple. AA has to be where it is b/c that's where the intl gates are. Delta also apparently is pretty adamant about not moving, since they have the gates closest to the SkyClub (including the ones right in front of it). The best shot I see is to potentially try shifting UA down towards the US gates (which will be nearer to the US club which I bet becomes a UA/Star Alliance Club). Then shift DL down a few gates so that they are right in middle of terminal. Hopefully, that frees up enough for the larger AA at end of terminal.
+1
I don't see this as being simple at all. Neither DL nor UA will have any reason to be helpful in any re-alignment of the gates. Look for some real quid pro quo if that occurs. Then there are the concourse vendors who will be howling when their foot traffic goes away because the re-alignment moves the majority of the pax to the end of the C concourse.
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RDUpax View Post
+1
I don't see this as being simple at all. Neither DL nor UA will have any reason to be helpful in any re-alignment of the gates. Look for some real quid pro quo if that occurs. Then there are the concourse vendors who will be howling when their foot traffic goes away because the re-alignment moves the majority of the pax to the end of the C concourse.
I usually don't buy food in the airport (<5%) as I can eat onboard/in the lounge, and I suspect that the majority of FFs are the same.
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by RDUpax View Post
+1
All the Terminal 2 RDU gates are common use, I wonder if they have specific gate numbers as part of their leases or can be moved as the airport authority needs them to. Last visit thru RDU I was trying to compare size of US club vs Admirals club, (counted window panes) there are more windows/longer wall up above looking down onto the concourse from the US club than from AA's, so I wonder if US has 50% larger space than Admirals? Anyone local want to tell us? What would be nice is IF there continues to be no RDU United club, then let the DL and AA club combine into one larger space, let DL have the old US club and AA the former AA/DL club space. Would be a good way to get DL down to the current US gates and still have them next to DL gates

Of course, if DL has to deplane its RDU Cancun and Nassau flights thru the international sterile corridor, then there is no way they'll want to move farther away from the north side of the concourse close to AA where they are now.
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
so I wonder if US has 50% larger space than Admirals?
The US Club at RDU seats 65 according to this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...ub-at-rdu.html

I have a feeling AA will need to expand club size at RDU. The AC already gets full at peak times.

ETA: The AC apparently seats 121
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....634&highlight=

Last edited by ty97; Dec 3, 13 at 9:45 pm Reason: AC capacity
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:52 pm

121 people in the RDU admirals club? WOW that would be jammed. I thought more like the space for 60 or so from the times I've been in there. Maybe if you had every shower, urinal, stall, and barstool occupied you could fit 120+ people there. YIKES. How big is DL's skyclub next door? Yes I agree, they will likely need more space when you combine all the people spread between two clubs into one club.
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles FO, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott gold, PC plat, spg gold, HH gold

Of course, if DL has to deplane its RDU Cancun and Nassau flights thru the international sterile corridor, then there is no way they'll want to move farther away from the north side of the concourse close to AA where they are now.
NAS has pre-clearance and arrives as a domestic flight.
Old Dec 3, 13, 10:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO View Post
NAS has pre-clearance and arrives as a domestic flight.
Sometimes!

(Flew NAS-DFW on AA only to have AA's crack staff of DFW rampers send all the bags off that flight to the FIS baggage claim. Meanwhile all us passengers are standing around the domestic carosuel wondering ... our bags are. Actually most passengers were wondering that. A couple of us pretty quickly figured out exactly what happened. Getting the useless Baggage Service contractor to understand what we were saying and actually call someone at AA to fix it took quite some effort. An hour or so later bags were finally rerouted to the insecure landside domestic carosuel)
Old Dec 3, 13, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
121 people in the RDU admirals club? WOW that would be jammed. I thought more like the space for 60 or so from the times I've been in there. Maybe if you had every shower, urinal, stall, and barstool occupied you could fit 120+ people there. YIKES. How big is DL's skyclub next door? Yes I agree, they will likely need more space when you combine all the people spread between two clubs into one club.
I was equally surprised by the 121 number. I agree this probably means every seat at every little bistro table, all the seats at the bar, etc are taken in order to reach that number.

No mention of the Delta Club capacity in this link, but it does say the club is 4000 square feet (whereas the AC is 5000 square feet)
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=820
Old Dec 3, 13, 10:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
The US Club at RDU seats 65 according to this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...ub-at-rdu.html

I have a feeling AA will need to expand club size at RDU. The AC already gets full at peak times.

ETA: The AC apparently seats 121
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....634&highlight=
If I saw 120 people in the AC I would be calling the Fire Marshal! You would have to stack people like firewood.
I don't see the Sky Club moving anywhere...

Last edited by RDUpax; Dec 3, 13 at 10:58 pm Reason: ty97 already posted the square footage...
Old Dec 3, 13, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Sometimes!

(Flew NAS-DFW on AA only to have AA's crack staff of DFW rampers send all the bags off that flight to the FIS baggage claim. Meanwhile all us passengers are standing around the domestic carosuel wondering ... our bags are. Actually most passengers were wondering that. A couple of us pretty quickly figured out exactly what happened. Getting the useless Baggage Service contractor to understand what we were saying and actually call someone at AA to fix it took quite some effort. An hour or so later bags were finally rerouted to the insecure landside domestic carosuel)
I assume you had your passports with you-would it not be easier for everyone to go back airside through the international area to get the bags?
Old Dec 3, 13, 11:25 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
The strategy and logic behind it you very nicely outlined are certainly what I hope Parker will employ at AA. Based on US management's public comments, it was also what I expected before the DOJ files the lawsuit. However, the internal emails made public by the DOJ made it pretty clear to me that Parker in fact planned to run AA as HPdbaAA. I hope that either he meant what he said in public and not what he said in private (or that the private emails were taken out of context or otherwise not representative) or that he has changed his mind for whatever reason, making your version of the future right.
Thanks for alerting me to these internal emails. They certainly suggest any makeover will be in the Arizona, not Texas, direction. It is odd that Parker, an AA veteran from the Crandall period, would contact Richard Anderson and discuss competitive issues.
Old Dec 3, 13, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
The strategy and logic behind it you very nicely outlined are certainly what I hope Parker will employ at AA. Based on US management's public comments, it was also what I expected before the DOJ files the lawsuit. However, the internal emails made public by the DOJ made it pretty clear to me that Parker in fact planned to run AA as HPdbaAA. I hope that either he meant what he said in public and not what he said in private (or that the private emails were taken out of context or otherwise not representative) or that he has changed his mind for whatever reason, making your version of the future right.
Or maybe this "US will adopt AA standard" statement is Parker telling people what they want to hear, to get them onboard his merger plans. While secretly intending to turn AA into USdbaAA, or HPdbaAA, and of course coming up with some excuse to justify his decision to change course. Hopefully I'm wrong, but until we see what happens in reality anything is possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: