Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hats off to AA for going peanut free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2002, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Hats off to AA for going peanut free

forgive me if i sound a bit fanatical, but my daughter is deathly allergic to peanuts (as are many children) and so i was thrilled to hear AA is going peanut free aug 1st. don't worry for those of you up front, they will still have warm nuts (but no peanuts). its a small price to pay to make the flight safer for some of the passengers.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i hope they go shrimp free[also crab & lobster].
Old Jun 13, 2002, 8:51 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
If your daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, she should not be in enclosed public spaces, like an airplane.

What if a passenger opens a bag of peanuts?
Old Jun 13, 2002, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
People with such severe allergies should be carrying an epi-pen.

It seems like a sensible move. I always wondered why they serve peanuts on airplanes.

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Jun 13, 2002, 9:54 pm
Suspended

No bivalves, no crustaceans, no peanuts, no dairy-- no risks, no chances.

Maybe they shouldn't serve any food-- or booze for that matter?

Why take any chances?
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:00 pm

For what it's worth, I was given a cheddar Rold Gold pretzel mix on a recent AA flight instead of peanuts. I have no allergies to peanuts, but I was very pleased with the cheddar mix...it was very tasty!
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:02 am

I thought they were already peanut free as I haven't gotten peanuts on AA for a couple of years already.

Was somewhat surprised last month in my first Southwest flight (honest, I was forced to fly it) in years that they still served peanuts.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:24 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jelv:
its a small price to pay to make the flight safer for some of the passengers.</font>
Doesn't really make the flight safer though, does it? It's still a metal tube hurtling through the air at 500+mph. It still bumps through turbulence too!

How can AA guarantee that all meals will be peanut-free? They don't control the standards in their contracted flight kitchens, what's to stop a contracted in-flight meals vendor preparing meals with peanuts included for other carriers on the same production line?
Old Jun 14, 2002, 7:35 am
hvd

Programs: AA EXP, LX travelclub
How about cat free?
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:10 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I haven't seen a bag of peanuts on AA in a long time. They used to give out honey roast peanuts, then pretzles during bevrage service in coach. But I have not seen pretzles in a long, long time in coach on AA.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by clacko:
i hope they go shrimp free[also crab & lobster].</font>
Now why would we want that?

Next people are going to want AA to go all vegetarian, right?

d
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:46 am

AA has for at least a year offered to not serve peanuts on a given flight with adequate advance notification that the flight would have a peanut allergy sufferer.

As far as going all peanut-free, IMHO AA's motivation is not altruistic. Peanut prices have been going up. Pretzels are less expensive to produce, purchase, and serve.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:19 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Those Rold-Gold Cheese things are really good the first time or two, but after 45+ flights this year with seeing the same cheese things, I will throw up if I see another bag.

I have seen on flight after flight that many turn away the bag of cheese. I wish that AA would switch up the type of snack on flights every once in a while. I used to like the honey roasted peanuts or plain pretzels...Maybe I'm just starting to get allergic to (or extremely sick of) the cheesy snacks myself..

Is there anyone else out there that feels the same???
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:30 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
Not to mention that those cheezy bags probably contain all the cholesterol most people need to ingest in a week. I agree that peanuts are problematic, but they're still more healthful.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
doppy- i happen to be allergic to shrimp etc but have not had a problem handing it off to my beautiful wife or a seat mate when upgrades happen.

appearently, a peanut allergy can be pretty strong .

does anyone have any info re it. thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.