Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hats off to AA for going peanut free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:32 am

I love the Rold Gold cheddar mix ! I was so disappointed the other day when the FA's couldn't serve it due to bumpy weather.

A couple of months ago I was on an AS flight SEA-LAX when they said they could not serve *any* snacks because someone on the plane had a peanut allergy. Now that ticked me off because I was starved. I'd rather see the airline just switch to another snack (besides peanuts) if it is going to be that problematic... cause 2.5 hours was a long time go without any sort of snack.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Isn't this also a problem because alot of things are made with peanut oil? I recently went to a taqueria (granted, this ain't AA food, but better ) that stated that they used peanut oil for all their frying and refried beans. I'm glad they were so upfront about it.

I know that alot of professional chefs use peanut oil for frying. Martha also swears by it.

As for shellfish allergies, my partner's mother was also deadly allergic to shellfish and fish and my partner is now feeling that she is starting to acquire some of the symptoms. She now takes an antihistamine before eating any sort of shellfish.

I'm all for the watermelon, small platter of olives, potato chips etc. with my now defunct campari for my inflight libation.

lala
Old Jun 15, 2002, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I've been waiting, hoping someone else would ask, but what routes does AA serve peanuts on? I have never been served peanuts on AA. Pretzels , almonds , cashews , Rold Gold plain snack mix , cheddar snack mix and the yummy hot nuts mix with the pistachios , but never any peanuts.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 11:33 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oldpenny16:
There has been at least one post on this topic from someone who had a FIRST serious shellfish reaction on an over water flight.

</font>
Yeah, that was me.... I recall the whole Kosher meal thing...
Old Jun 15, 2002, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Dear 777Brit,

I didn't want to use your name on that story without asking your permission. I remember clearly what happened to you.

I am so grateful that you are perfectly fine!

Old Jun 15, 2002, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
Isn't this also a problem because alot of things are made with peanut oil? </font>
Some people that are allergic to peanuts are allergic to peanut oil while others like me are not.

At the Chicago Do, a group of us went to a restaurant with a substantial Thai influence. Many of the items had peanuts, peanut butter, or were cooked in peanut oil, so I started asking questions. The restaurant had a fact book with a page for every kind of food allergy, and a list of the menu items that contained them (and in some cases what portions of the menu item, such as the sauce). I was extremely impressed.

If people allergic to a particular type of food can die just from being in the room with it, then airlines shouldn't serve that food. It's just common decency.

Old Jun 16, 2002, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Gold, LP ex-Millionaire!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by clbish:
Now if they can just do something about the people who bathe in perfume.</font>
Hear hear! I can't say I'm severely allergic to perfume. But there are some scents that give me a headache and slight nausea. And these seem to be the ones that lodge themselves inside your nose so that you smell them hours after being exposed!

For what it's worth, I agree that the cheesy pretzel snacks are good every few weeks or so. But when flying multiple segments in a day, no matter how hungry I am, I resist the temptation to eat more than one bag a day. I don't have a cholesterol problem but they must be loaded in fat calories also. I say let's go back to plain pretzels. And since so few flights have food in coach--how about a more substantial serving????

Old Jun 16, 2002, 9:50 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
By the way, where the heck did this whole "peanut allergy" come from? When I was a kid, which wasn't too many years ago, no one was allergic to peanuts. Now people are lining up to claim their kids have this allergy.

d
</font>
I'd like to know too because I'm certain several of the elementary schools I attended in the 70's must have assuredly committed genocide

P.S. I have had nuts served on EVERY single flight last month MIA-SCL-MIA, FLL-DFW-SEA-STL-FLL, and FLL-STL-XNA-STL-FLL.

No one had an allergy attack, much less died.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 12:28 am
R&R

peanuts are not nuts, they are beans.

So ther are not the same problem associated with mixed nuts without peanuts.

Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

LLZ: my mom was the school nurse for 25 years for a school with 2,000 students (she retired 10 yrs ago) and when our daugher was diagnosed 2 years ago, my mom said she had never heard of it either. but now, check with any school that has more than 100 kids and you'll find at least one with the allergy. last year, over 125 people died in the US from peanut allergies, many children who were with individuals who didn't know about the allergy. scientist aren't sure why, but the allergy is becoming widespread. for more info...http://www.foodallergy.org/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.