Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hats off to AA for going peanut free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
i wish they would go cashew free and up the almond quotient.

I'm glad they are sensitive to the peanut allergy problem, but I really don't like cashews.

lala
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jelv:
forgive me if i sound a bit fanatical, but my daughter is deathly allergic to peanuts (as are many children) and so i was thrilled to hear AA is going peanut free aug 1st. don't worry for those of you up front, they will still have warm nuts (but no peanuts). its a small price to pay to make the flight safer for some of the passengers.</font>
Better add peanuts to the list of contraband those useless gate screeners are screening for!

sympathies to the allergic, but expecting the entire public world to go peanut free is ridiculous overkill.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:05 pm
R&R

Peanuts are Legumes or beans. They are not nuts.

They carry a fungus, that is not healthy for humans.

Apparently, formerly a cheap snack!

Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
i wish they would go cashew free and up the almond quotient.</font>
No, no, no - more cashews. And how about some honey roasted ones, in addition to the plain ones?

Over the last few years I've gone from only eating/liking peanuts and cashews to liking everything they offer in the first class mix.

By the way, where the heck did this whole "peanut allergy" come from? When I was a kid, which wasn't too many years ago, no one was allergic to peanuts. Now people are lining up to claim their kids have this allergy.

d
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by raydog9379:
Those Rold-Gold Cheese things are really good the first time or two, but after 45+ flights this year with seeing the same cheese things, I will throw up if I see another bag.

</font>
What flights are you getting these on? I have *never* seen anything like peanuts, pretzels, or Rold-Gold cheese things in a few years. I guess I don't fly enough? i'm only Platinum.

Old Jun 14, 2002, 1:21 pm

I personally would be all for them replacing the peanuts and pretzels with big slices of watermelon. I'm pretty sure there are no watermelon allergies out there and can you imagine the joy of eating a juicy watermelon on a flight!
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
i wish they would go cashew free and up the almond quotient.

I'm glad they are sensitive to the peanut allergy problem, but I really don't like cashews.

lala
</font>
I'll take your cashews...love 'em!

I also really dislike the cheesy Rold Gold mix, even the 1st & 2nd times I had them. If they insist on pretzels in coach, at least give the option of plain which taste better and are healthier. Actually, the first SOS I ever gave out was to a FC FA (I was sitting in coach) who was kind enough to no only let me take nuts (he gave me a bunch of bags) in lieu of cheesy mix but cheese & crackers, Milano's and a large bottle of Evian.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Ah, nothing like talking about nasty sky mix on a slow Friday afternoon...

FewMiles..
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:50 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The cheddar stuff is horrible - personally I cannot stand it.

I have no problem with a choice of almonds or pretzels in F - its the gross cheese stuff - I cannot even look at the tray when FA comes around with it.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
it's funny, neither my partner nor I likes cashews. We both ate around them the last few flights and always hand the little ecosnax packs that they have on AS back to the FA. I guess I could bring my own smokehouse almonds or hazelnuts or just ignore the whole shebang and pack a few carrot sticks .

How about watermelon seeds or pumpkin seeds? That is what we grew up with -the traditional chichetti of Iran.

lala
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's supportive and humorous responses! here's a reply to some of your questions/concerns:
* there are only 4 common food allergies that are deadly and unfortunately peanuts are one of them
* we carry an eppy pen with us everywhere but i'd hate to use it 30K feet up
* i'm EXP on AA and i haven't seen peanuts in a while either but last summer we requested the flight be peanut free (2 months before our trip) and the flight boarded late because someone forgot to remove them (i guess they used them in coach on int'l flights)
* we bring food for her to eat so we don't rely on in-flight food
* personally, i'm for pet-free as well
* i find the cheddar Rold Gold pretzel mix the best snack mix in the air
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:36 pm

IMHO, the Rold Gold Cheddar things smell like feet. Yuck.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Now if they can just do something about the people who bathe in perfume.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:21 am

peanuts were very much in evidence on AA115 from LHR to JFK yesterday - they are usually served on international flights in the cheap seats.

As for using an epi-pen at 30,000 feet - it will still work and the results of an epi-pen can be pretty dramatic averting a life-threatening situation.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I am extremely allergic to shellfish. Yes, I do carry at least one Epi-pen with me at all times. (security can try to hassle me, but I have a letter in addition to the pharmacy packaging).

I have been amazed for years at the various airlines who serve shellfish on long over water flights. There has been at least one post on this topic from someone who had a FIRST serious shellfish reaction on an over water flight.

Twice I have been on over water flights where the only meal alternative left when I was about to be served was one with shellfish. Both were situations where I had to change flights and my special meal requests were lost in the shuffle.

On BA, in economy, the FA's scurried around to gather up a cheese and fruit tray from an higher class of service. They embarrassed me with so much attention.

On AA also in economy I was left the alternative of munching around of the non-entre items on the tray without the shellfish or do without. Well we all know what that amounts to! Not much! I had some snacks in my carry-on and survived the night.

People can die from allergic reactions.

Although I wouldn't want to use an Epi-pen at 30,000 feet, I would if I had to. The usual course of action after using an Epi-pen is to go to the ER for further treatment.

That peanuts have disappeared from AA flights may be funny to some people, but not to me! I comprehend the situation. I often carry a peanut butter sandwich as an emergency snack. Is that dangerous for someone with that allergy? I can switch to cheese.

Let's all stay healthy in the air!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.