Complicated itin - can bags be checked through?

Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Complicated itin - can bags be checked through?

Hi,

I have a complicated itinerary coming up. I'm wondering whether I can check my bags all the way to my final destination, or do I need to pick them up somewhere. I am flying:

MEX-DFW-LAX (day 1, overnight in LAX)
LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL (day 2, arrival on day 3)

Since I will be travelling with 2 suitcases + golfbag and in addition my two pieces of handluggae, I am not too keen on picking them up until I arrive in Berlin

Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
how long is the layover in LAX? If its under 12 hrs you can request it; over 12 and it isn't possible.

You might have to pick them up at DFW - but if so, its an easy recheck, there are special desks just outside of customs.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ded0r
Hi,

I have a complicated itinerary coming up. I'm wondering whether I can check my bags all the way to my final destination, or do I need to pick them up somewhere. I am flying:

MEX-DFW-LAX (day 1, overnight in LAX)
LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL (day 2, arrival on day 3)

Since I will be travelling with 2 suitcases + golfbag and in addition my two pieces of handluggae, I am not too keen on picking them up until I arrive in Berlin

Thanks a lot!
I'm going to guess "Not Possible", but you didn't give enough information on flights and carriers. It appears as though you have multiple tickets, not a single itinerary.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2
I'm going to guess "Not Possible", but you didn't give enough information on flights and carriers. It appears as though you have multiple tickets, not a single itinerary.
All booked on 1 ticket.

MEX-DFW-LAX-JFK-LHR on AA
LHR-TXL on BA

Layover in LAX is 10hours.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
sounds like a recipe for lost bags to me....
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by austin_modern
sounds like a recipe for lost bags to me....
Probably true, but I don't have many options at this point. If it increases the chances, I can pick them up in LAX and re-check in the morning for LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL

But my original questions still hasn't been answered. Will it be technically possible to check them through all the way? I know that e.g. with Lufthansa you can only have 5 airport codes on your baggage tag.. How is that for AA?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I've had 4, not 5. In any event as bdemaria points out you will be picking your bags up at DFW since it's an international arrival and you need to clear customs, so if they won't tag you at MEX you can try to do it at DFW: at that point it's 4 segments and agents used to dealing with complex itins I would guess. But if it's all one ticket my bet is it all pops out at MEX anyway.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Depending on how much $$ you have to blow, I would probably honestly use one of the luggage services to ship the bags to your destination a few days ahead of time.
Otherwise that itinerary sounds like you will have zero luggage while at your destination, and this whole discussion will be moot.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by maggie08
Depending on how much $$ you have to blow, I would probably honestly use one of the luggage services to ship the bags to your destination a few days ahead of time.
Otherwise that itinerary sounds like you will have zero luggage while at your destination, and this whole discussion will be moot.
Disagree. I think the bags will arrive fine. Is there a chance they will get lost? Of course, there always is. But I just returned from the middle of Siberia, traveling on three different OneWorld carriers over four flights with a 9-hour layover in Moscow. My bags made it just fine.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
I think it's technicaly impossible ... on the tag. I've always seen it limited to 4 legs.
You might be able to check them in at night for the next morning.

Just think for the baggage handler ; they have less than 1/10th of second to think about which cart to drop into your luggage off the plane (connection / baggage claim). If the tag is too long to read, they could be at any baggage claim of one of your connecting airport while you're flying away...

My advice : don't try to.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Okay, will take you advice and check them in for MEX-LAX, pick them up ad re-check for LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL. Do they allow evening checkin for the morning transcon?

Best
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
I'm traveling STX-MIA-LAX-HKG-DPS (Bali) on AA to LAX then CX the rest of the way. (All one ticket) I arrive MIA at 5:40pm on 3/11/14 and leave MIA on AA287 at 3:45pm on 3/12. Why wouldn't my bags just sit in MIA in the AA287 slot until they are loaded? Can someone point me to the rule on AA.com about more than a 12 hour layover? If I check in at a kiosk in STX will it only create a bag tag to MIA? I'm not staying overnight in MIA just for fun, it's the only way the schedule (and available seats) would work. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is absolutely possible, but foolish. Because it exceeds 4 segments, OP will need to find an AA supervisor to hand code and then hand write the bag tags and then proofread everything twice.

That is why this is foolish. If you get the right person, you will be fine. If you don't, your bags will be at TPA rather than TXL and it will take forever to locate and recover them. With 10 hours, why risk it?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ded0r
Okay, will take you advice and check them in for MEX-LAX, pick them up ad re-check for LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL. Do they allow evening checkin for the morning transcon?

Best
For less hassle, try the following: MEX-DFW, then when you manually drop them off post customs at DFW, try having them checked DWF-LAX-JFK-LHR-TXL. This means you can avoid dealing w/them at LAX.

Since its w/in 12 hrs between arrrival/departure at LAX, you *should* be able to do it there as well.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by maggie08
Sounds like you never tried to do this. Really bad advice. Forst the cost is prohibitive. Second most of the time you need to have the bags go thru customs clearance. The paperwork is time consuming, you dont have your usual customs/duty free allowance of a few hundret dollars/euros wich you have when you have the luggage with you.
This might be an option when you don't leave the US, but never for international.

It is true, the more connections you have and the shorter the connections are the higher the likelihood that your luggage will not make it with you. But normally it then shows up a few days later and will be delivered. Pack what you absolutely need for a few days in your carry on, otherwise you can buy a reasonable amount of things and will be reimbursed.

One additional potential problem you need to be aware when you short check: Imagine your luggage does not show tin time at the belt before you need to leave for you onward flight. What do you do? Wait for the luggage, be a no show and potentially loose the rest of the trip?
Or make the flight, arrive without luggage in a sutuation where the airline has no obligation to deliver the luggage to you?
For taht reason alone it s better to check the luggage thru to your final destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.