FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Gov rate for American Airlines ? Yes..but where? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1525176-gov-rate-american-airlines-yes-but-where.html)

footballfanatic Nov 26, 2013 8:36 pm

cheap government leisure fares mean higher general public fares.

nall Nov 26, 2013 11:33 pm

There are student fares? How do they work?

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 21861154)
Not legally. And government air fares should only be booked through an authorized departmental agency not by an individual.

In the case of hotels, this is definitely not true -- or at least not true for a majority of government employees. There are lots of threads on this topic, many of which have sought clarification from the hotels.

edit:

Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Federal employees traveling on business can book hotels at discounted rates negotiated by the government, but do the rules apply for personal trips? According to Viki Reath, spokeswoman for the U.S. General Services Administration, that's easy: "It is strictly a business decision of the lodging establishment as to whether or not they will extend the government per diem rate to employees traveling on personal business."

Dave Noble Nov 27, 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by zski1 (Post 21856917)
Can't please everyone, I suppose. Either flyertalk is a single issue help and advice board where each thread is narrowly constrained and non-generalizable to the public thus greatly diminishing the utility of the search function, or it's a place where people are expected to use the aforementioned search engine to find information tucked away in detailed threads which likely strayed somewhat from the initial post, thus preventing the clutter that has occurred like it has in this already-13-posts-too-long-thread. Mea maxima culpa.

I would suggest that the more a thread is on topic, the more likely the search function will return what someone is looking for. A thread on government fares isn't a logical place to look to try and find details about fares for military personell

mvoight Nov 27, 2013 4:02 am

Originally Posted by nall (Post 21861748)
There are student fares? How do they work?

In the case of hotels, this is definitely not true -- or at least not true for a majority of government employees. There are lots of threads on this topic, many of which have sought clarification from the hotels.

edit:

Which is why he said "fares", referring to air fare.
This is probably not the best thread for discussing hotel discounts or student air fares.

chgodude Nov 27, 2013 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 21861154)
Not legally. And government air fares should only be booked through an authorized departmental agency not by an individual.

Actually thats not correct, I often book it on AA site with a gov issued credit card.

Often1 Nov 27, 2013 6:09 am

Originally Posted by chgodude (Post 21862562)
Actually thats not correct, I often book it on AA site with a gov issued credit card.

That's not what the post was about. Shareholder was referring to obtaining a government air fare, not how one pays for the ticket.