Oneworld Award Tkt with Aadvantage Miles

Old Jun 12, 2002, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Oneworld Award Tkt with Aadvantage Miles

This was posted also posted on the Oneworld board, but I thought I would post it on AA to see if anybody out there had any ideas..

If one is redeeming a Oneworld free ticket, how exactly are stopovers with less than 24 hours computed when backtracking is involved?
For example, if one were to fly BCN-X/LHR-X/ORD-X/DFW-DCA and spend less than 24 hours at each X/ point, would they just calculate BCN-DCA mileage or since DFW is a backtrack would they calculate BCN-DFW and DFW-DCA even though the stop is less than 24 hours? It makes a difference because of the award level mileage break point.

Old Jun 12, 2002, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a similar question for the EXP desk a while ago, even though I didn't end up ticketing it.

For oneWorld awards, you can re-route as many times as you want and take as circuitous route as you'd like and you're charged point-to-point so long as you don't violate any stopover rules.

Given that, you should be charged BCN-DCA mileage only. The only question is whether AA would apply the domestic stopover rules to your ORD-DFW-DCA segments. They shouldn't, since it's part of an int'l itinierary, but that's the only scenario under which you could be charged for BCN-DFW and DFW-DCA.

Why not call AA and have them pull the itinierary? They can tell you the mileage cost before you ticket.

[edit: Forgot to mention that you might have trouble ticketing this itinierary, because you are required to use at least 2 oneWorld carriers other than AA. I assume you'll be on Iberia for BCN-LHR, but you can't use BA for the LHR-ORD segment.

So you should look for a way to squeeze a segment on BA intra-Europe in order to make this a legal award]

[This message has been edited by Plato90s (edited 06-12-2002).]
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chuck1:
This was posted also posted on the Oneworld board, but I thought I would post it on AA to see if anybody out there had any ideas..

If one is redeeming a Oneworld free ticket, how exactly are stopovers with less than 24 hours computed when backtracking is involved?
For example, if one were to fly BCN-X/LHR-X/ORD-X/DFW-DCA and spend less than 24 hours at each X/ point, would they just calculate BCN-DCA mileage or since DFW is a backtrack would they calculate BCN-DFW and DFW-DCA even though the stop is less than 24 hours? It makes a difference because of the award level mileage break point.

</font>
Maybe this would work:

BA/IB BCN-LHR
BA/IE LHR-DUB
IE DUB-ORD
AA ORD-DFW
AA DFW-DCA
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks...I thought as long as you didn't stay more than 24 hours you were only charged from point A to B-in this case BCN to DCA. However, there now seems to be some kind of backtracking clause were even less than 24 hours they still penalize you. I guess this is to stop you from doing something like JFK-AA-LHR-BA-CDG-IB-MAD-AA-MIA and staying less than 24 hours at each point and still getting in 2 carriers plus AA and only being charged for the JFK-MIA mileage.

Anyway, in this case they seem to want to charge BCN/DFW and then DFW/DCA, and I am using BA and IB on the intra-European segments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.