Routing/Idea assistance > Tahiti, JPN, & OZ

Old Jun 5, 02, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
Routing/Idea assistance > Tahiti, JPN, & OZ

I'm looking at flying a whole bunch of family members and myself for a wedding/honeymoon to Bora Bora on my miles. I want to make some side-trips to Tokyo and Sydney. Anyone do anything like this on miles? What kind of routing, etc? Would like to go biz the whole way (I'm flying the family coach, ).

ATN goes there for 100k each, but they have some ridiculous 110k deal from tahiti to Japan. OZ, is another deal entirely. The order of where we visit is not important, we could do OZ first, swing to Bora after, and then up to tokyo, and then come back, but I don't know how that works on miles.

I have 200k continental miles in addition, but conveniently, CO doesnt fly to tahiti.

Too complicated, thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 02, 2:44 pm

CO micronesia does fly to OZ:

There is a flight to Cairns from Guam. I don't know the frequency, but you can check out the route map:

http://www.continental.com/tis/pdf/200206co-world.jpg
Old Jun 5, 02, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Could you use CO miles to get Qantas tickets to Tahiti?
Old Jun 5, 02, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phoenixitc:
Could you use CO miles to get Qantas tickets to Tahiti? </font>
Codeshare on Qantas to Papeete. Or you could go to Nadi, Fiji which would be my preference over Tahiti

Cheers,

birdstrike
Old Jun 6, 02, 8:24 am

Oops,

Forgot to mention that both Qantas and Hawaiian airlines are both Onepass partners. Hawaiian flies from HNL to Tahiti. Here is the route map:

http://www.hawaiianair.com/bookaflig...t_routemap.asp

As others have suggested, you could also get from Auckland to Papeet on Qantas. Good luck!
Old Jun 6, 02, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
The CO advice is very helpful, thank you very much, that will alleviate some of my mileage wories. But, what's your opinion on these side trips with AA, anyone ever do a trip to tahiti that included OZ and Japan??

Oh and as far as the Fiji stuff goes, the woman said Bora Bora, so its Bora Bora, I'm not negotiating that one...
Old Jun 6, 02, 11:16 am

How are you getting to Tahiti? Are you using miles or paying cash?

Operating from tahiti as a central point would be difficult from a miles point of view because so few carriers fly there. It looks like Air Tahiti Nui operates Papeete to Tokyo, Auckland or LAX.

Theoretically if you were able to get to Auckland from Tahiti you could then use your AA miles on Qantas. You may also want to consider flying from Auckland to Cairns to try and redeem some of your AA miles on Cathay Pacific (Cairns to HKG then to Japan).

Hope this helps. You may also want to post this on the mileage run board for some help with this complicated plan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: