Advice using AA miles from Europe to Texas

Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Advice using AA miles from Europe to Texas

Hi!

Planning a trip to Europe and I see plenty of award availability on the outbound but not much inbound for December travel (Dec. 12th out and 18th in).

My route is AUS-NYC (stopover 2days) - CDG - Revenue ticket to FCO - FCO - AUS.

I planning to do a stopover at New York as a gateway city for two days then continue on to CDG. (December 9 or 10 then to Paris on the 12th arriving 13th).

Then book an one-way revenue ticket to FCO on the 14th and leave the 17th or 18th but there's no award space on these dates. (the last is 16th but with BA which I'm trying to avoid).

In total it's 20,000 miles one way which I think is great value but not seeing much award space on the 17th or 18th.

Any recommendations? I'm guessing mid-December is a hard to get award season?

Can I use AA miles for the Paris-Rome leg?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Thinking outside the box, have you considered the train BETWEEN PARIS, FRANCE AND ROME, ITALY, and Rome to any city you can get out of?

European trains make getting around easy, non-stressful, and non-weather dependent.

Here is a link: http://www.raileurope-world.com/trai...cle/paris-rome

Have a good trip, no matter how you get there.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Thinking outside the box, have you considered the train?

European trains make getting around easy, non-stressful, and non-weather dependent.

FCO-AUS on a train?

OP - in general, AA considers the start of the Christmas season to be December 16. They don't usually offer much in the way of award seats during Christmas season. Can you move your trip up a month?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you....never thought about this route...will look into it.

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Thinking outside the box, have you considered the train?

Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Got it...I guess that's why I don't see much award after the 16th...Might consider using devalued United miles on my way back...

Originally Posted by gemac
FCO-AUS on a train?

OP - in general, AA considers the start of the Christmas season to be December 16. They don't usually offer much in the way of award seats during Christmas season. Can you move your trip up a month?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
FCO-AUS on a train?

Thanks for your insightful commentary!

I will clarify my post, and then go play in traffic, or fall on my sword!

Once again, thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by nowstime
Got it...I guess that's why I don't see much award after the 16th...Might consider using devalued United miles on my way back...

Expert Flyer at expertflyer.com might be a good resource for the the non train part of your trip. PM me if you have issues.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by nowstime
Hi!

Planning a trip to Europe and I see plenty of award availability on the outbound but not much inbound for December travel (Dec. 12th out and 18th in).

My route is AUS-NYC (stopover 2days) - CDG - Revenue ticket to FCO - FCO - AUS.

I planning to do a stopover at New York as a gateway city for two days then continue on to CDG. (December 9 or 10 then to Paris on the 12th arriving 13th).

Then book an one-way revenue ticket to FCO on the 14th and leave the 17th or 18th but there's no award space on these dates. (the last is 16th but with BA which I'm trying to avoid).

In total it's 20,000 miles one way which I think is great value but not seeing much award space on the 17th or 18th.

Any recommendations? I'm guessing mid-December is a hard to get award season?

Can I use AA miles for the Paris-Rome leg?
You might be better served by taking a Euro based airline at a discounted fare between Paris and Rome. Not worth burning miles on it. Coming home from FCO you might route part of your trip on IB through MAD to JFK/DFW/MIA for connection to AUS.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
also - call AA. Not all partners (IB comes to mind here) appear on aa.com when searching for award seats.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Used Qantas to search IB but not much luck...

Originally Posted by bhomburg
also - call AA. Not all partners (IB comes to mind here) appear on aa.com when searching for award seats.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Do all European destinations have steep taxes or only LHR? Because I found direct flights from MIA for me and my son for 40,000 RT but the taxes and charges were nearly $1,000.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Panamajon513
Do all European destinations have steep taxes or only LHR? Because I found direct flights from MIA for me and my son for 40,000 RT but the taxes and charges were nearly $1,000.
BA metal always screws you.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Do you have any BA flights on this itinerary? Likely you're paying the BA fuel surcharge if you do and taxes into and out of LHR would not average $500 a ticket (maybe $200 in coach and $300 in business as rough numbers).

Taxes for France and Germany departures are higher than Spain or Ireland, but none of those are as high as the U.K.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by tom911
Do you have any BA flights on this itinerary? Likely you're paying the BA fuel surcharge if you do and taxes into and out of LHR would not average $500 a ticket (maybe $200 in coach and $300 in business as rough numbers).

Taxes for France and Germany departures are higher than Spain or Ireland, but none of those are as high as the U.K.
There's one BA flight on the itinerary, outbound from LHR to MIA, both seats are in coach, and the exact costs for the two of us are:

----
Award Miles Needed

Award Miles Per Ticket 40,000 miles

Number of Passengers X 2

Total Award Miles Required 80,000 miles

Taxes and Fees

Taxes 459.20 USD

Carrier-Imposed Fees 458.00 USD

Total Taxes and Carrier-Imposed Fees 917.20 USD
----

Seems very, very high for one flight on BA metal?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Seems very, very high for one flight on BA metal?
The surcharge related to the BA flight is distance-based, hence the frequent recommendation to use AA metal to LHR and then onward on BA only to a European destination not served by AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.