EXP requalification---rounding up?

Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
EXP requalification---rounding up?

Hi-
I have been EXP for the past few years and have generally qualified in October/November time frame. This year I will be 21 miles short as of 12/26. I have to think AA generally would round up in this scenario but I thought I would ask the broader community. I know there is probably no hard and fast rule but interested in people's experience. If there is an existing thread sorry for the duplication but I could not find it.
Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by plh13
Hi-
I have been EXP for the past few years and have generally qualified in October/November time frame. This year I will be 21 miles short as of 12/26. I have to think AA generally would round up in this scenario but I thought I would ask the broader community. I know there is probably no hard and fast rule but interested in people's experience. If there is an existing thread sorry for the duplication but I could not find it.
Thanks!
FWIW, I don't know of anyone in the past who was short 21 miles and did not get rounded up. However, past results are not an indicator of future performance, etc., etc. Personally I wouldn't risk it but at least this year you can pay for the "boost" if you are not rounded up. It will be an expensive 21 miles!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Now that AA has introduced the "Buy the remaining" program, I doubt they will hand it over. That said, this is my opinion and they could allow such a small amount to pass.

If I were you, I would book a DFW --> AUS/SAT/HOU roundtrip midweek (prices are around 150 RT) and ensure you make it.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
thanks --I don't think I have seen anything about buying the remaining miles--I will look into that option if I need it.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:30 am

thanks --I don't think I have seen anything about buying the remaining miles--I will look into that option if I need it.
It's a brand new thing just introduced a few days ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ry-2014-a.html

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...RL&title=elite

$1,199 is an expensive way to qualify if you're only short 21 miles, but at least it's a backup if they don't round up.

Are you willing to risk $1,199 to save yourself the time and money cost of a short roundtrip?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
You can read about it here:
aa.com/elite

With the "soft landing" going away, coupled with the introduction of this "boost your miles" program, I would not chance it if it were me... especially for an EXP requalification. EXP status is too valuable to not spend ~$150-200 to secure what it gives. YMMV
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:42 am

I will be 97 miles short of 45,000 so was wondering if they'd round me up to get me to the 45k Platinum boost. If the fare would fall back to what I paid for my next trip (booked a Choice Plus so no change fee), I would re-route myself off the nonstop to add those extra miles, but it would cost me more than the difference between 40k and 45k. And an MR would cost me almost as much as the price difference, so not worth adding one more. So I'll ask, and if the answer is no, as I predict it will be, just stew over it for a bit and move on with life.

But in the OP's situation, I'd do the mileage run in the blink of an eye.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by critterchick
So I'll ask, and if the answer is no, as I predict it will be, just stew over it for a bit and move on with life.
That is an excellent prediction, but no harm in asking!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
OP -- If any of your travel in the remainder this year is domestic, then you may buy a Choice Plus fare, and request Same Day Confirmed change to a slightly detoured route to get more EQM. (e.g. STL-ORD-LGA to STL-DFW-LGA)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by critterchick
I will be 97 miles short of 45,000 so was wondering if they'd round me up to get me to the 45k Platinum boost. If the fare would fall back to what I paid for my next trip (booked a Choice Plus so no change fee), I would re-route myself off the nonstop to add those extra miles, but it would cost me more than the difference between 40k and 45k. And an MR would cost me almost as much as the price difference, so not worth adding one more. So I'll ask, and if the answer is no, as I predict it will be, just stew over it for a bit and move on with life.

But in the OP's situation, I'd do the mileage run in the blink of an eye.
If you have been upgraded on stickers, say on five flights this year, you have to ask whether it is worth it? How many times would you have otherwise boarded a plane late and not been able to store your roll on board? It might be worth a $300 short MR for you to maintain the status.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by keepssmile
OP -- If any of your travel in the remainder this year is domestic, then you may buy a Choice Plus fare, and request Same Day Confirmed change to a slightly detoured route to get more EQM. (e.g. STL-ORD-LGA to STL-DFW-LGA)
Can you do that even if your flight was direct?

Like DEN --> DFW changed to DEN --> LAX --> ORD --> DFW or something?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
No wonder no soft landings this year, they want you to buy it. boo hoo. Its pretty pricey for an xplat. I think you can do a MR way cheaper for 10K miles, no?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
If there is an existing thread sorry for the duplication but I could not find it.
Just curious - how did you look? I did a search for "short requalifying", and this was the third thread returned. The entire process took probably 5 seconds. I used those terms because you used them in your post, so I thought it would be natural for you to use them in your search - "Grace" would have been a more precise term, but close enough was plenty good enough in this case.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Hi-
Thanks!
Sounds like a quick same day round trip to SAT or AUS would be the best way to ice EXP for this year.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you do that even if your flight was direct?

Like DEN --> DFW changed to DEN --> LAX --> ORD --> DFW or something?
Not sure. SFO777 is an expert in this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.