FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   How can you stand the lack of entertainment on the MD 80s? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/152110-how-can-you-stand-lack-entertainment-md-80s.html)

RTWSTARALLIANCE May 16, 2002 1:37 pm

How can you stand the lack of entertainment on the MD 80s?

I am new to AA and fortunately earned a
majority of my status on OW partners. This
past week to flew from SMF to MKE via STL on
MD 80s. No movie and no audio. How can you
and I stand it? Have there ever been plans
to put something into these planes? After
reading every paper I could buy from STL to
SMF the only alternative is sleeping. I just
changed some SMF to DFW flights to go out of
SFO. UA has AA beat on entertainment out of
SMF at least. Thanks for hearing me.

BarryO May 16, 2002 1:42 pm

1. Power ports (as long as you're not flying TWA metal).

2. IBM Thinkpad 600X

3. Sony noise-cancelling headphones

4. Stack of DVD's and/or CD's.

-- problem solved.

Dave Noble May 16, 2002 1:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE:
I am new to AA and fortunately earned a
majority of my status on OW partners. This
past week to flew from SMF to MKE via STL on
MD 80s. No movie and no audio. How can you
and I stand it? Have there ever been plans
to put something into these planes? After
reading every paper I could buy from STL to
SMF the only alternative is sleeping. I just
changed some SMF to DFW flights to go out of
SFO. UA has AA beat on entertainment out of
SMF at least. Thanks for hearing me.
</font>
Lack of entertainment on planes doesn't bother me too much. Even when I have the personal video players et al , I dont tend to watch much and I rarely listen to the audio channels. I find flying a perfect time for book reading

Dave

ss278 May 16, 2002 2:02 pm

If you get tired of relaxing or reading a good book, just look out the window. What you will see out there is is far more compelling and interesting than anything ever put on a tv/movie screen.

FWAAA May 16, 2002 2:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BarryO:

2. IBM Thinkpad 600X

-- problem solved.
</font>
Almost the same idea:

1. Panasonic DVD player
2. BOSE noise-canceling headphones
3. Stack of DVDs/CDs

Unless I'm with someone interesting, flying is a great chance to listen to music and watch movies of my own choosing, not what AA might have selected for me.

Dudemon May 16, 2002 2:34 pm

I miss having the option of listening to muzak or a movie but the reality is I hardly ever exercise those options when flying metal that is equiped with them.

I enjoy reading and hearing my seat mates life story. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

jja34-1 May 16, 2002 2:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BarryO:

2. IBM Thinkpad 600X

-- problem solved.
</font>
1. Long-life battery (And one extra)

2. Sony GR370 Laptop

3. Sony NC11 Noise cancelling headphones

4. Lots of netflix DVDs

MileKing May 16, 2002 2:59 pm

Just think of the MILES!

jsmeeker May 16, 2002 3:52 pm

Sleep. Read a magazine. Play a game on the computer (or a DVD).

Personally, I can go a few hours without entertainment programming. Even when I fly on flights that have, I don't always watch.

JS May 16, 2002 4:18 pm

MD-80 flights aren't nearly long enough for me to get tired of looking out the window, reading a magazine, napping or just plain thinking. I bring pencil & paper in case I need to write down something that comes to mind.

DTWflyer May 16, 2002 4:20 pm

Its no big deal. Entertainment on domestic flights is such a rarity, its not something you should expect to have. And, when flights have it, its usually no good to begin with.

Its no big deal, considering the MD-80's for the most part are not flying to longer domestic routes. The 737-800's have taken over some of those routes.

yyzflyer May 16, 2002 6:34 pm

1. Power ports

2. Toshiba laptop

3. Microsoft Train Simulator with U.S./Canada Regional Add-on pack

Had to be different.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited 05-16-2002).]

rmc1 May 16, 2002 6:36 pm

I must agree with everyone else. Just plug in my laptop and play games or watch DVD's...umm..I mean work.

Also, GameBoy Advance is down to like $60 now so you can always pick one of them up. There are about 100+ games out so you can find at least 2 good ones for you. I personally play Tetris. And they are nice and small too.

Seiple May 16, 2002 7:29 pm

I never use the inflight entertainment when it is available, aside from monitoring the moving map display.

FewMiles May 16, 2002 7:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Microsoft Train Simulator with U.S./Canada Regional Add-on pack</font>
Do you pretend you are flying the plane, just to impress your seat mate? Especially if its a young kid. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]