AA Management on drugs!! (new AA.com)

Old Apr 18, 02, 4:01 am
Original Poster

AA Management on drugs!! (new AA.com)

I've always been a strong defender of AA, often asking discussion participants to consider the perspective of the company instead of only their own. Yet I am having a very hard time sympathizing with AA's perspective tonight, and minimizing my concerns with regard to the new AA.com website.

I logged on to AA.com tonight with the intention of buying a couple tickets.
I am in shock at how slow the new website is. This performance bug is so extreme, it renders the site unusable for my purposes. I feel like an unpaid software tester for AA.com, and strongly resent it. I doubt performance tuning will solve the full extent of the problem, I suspect it is a design flaw. What were they thinking? AA.com testers and management should have looked at the user experience via modem and median customer hardware before even considering making the new site live. The only thing that would make me more mad is if I were a stockholder, because this is a nightmare business decision with serious monetary consequences.

Why don't I just call on the phone and buy my ticket? A key reason I use AA.com is because I experiment with many different dates, routings, and trip ideas to get the flight experience and price I want. Maybe this sounds absurd, but I feel really stupid working an AA phone agent for an hour, running scenerios that take me a few minutes on AA.com. Doing so is very wasteful for both of us. Being able to quickly experiment with flight trip ideas results online, results in me buying many more tickets than I ever would if I had to do the same via phone. Honestly. The slower running scenerios is, the fewer tickets I buy, no kidding. Response time to AA.com route pricing requests is absolutely critical. So is a functional multicity reservation requests, the new one is utterly broken. Enough for now.
Old Apr 18, 02, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I agree... I think the intended design of the website is an improvement. Several of us were attempting to book tickets at work yesterday and one thing we DID notice is that the nasty page time-out problem we got on the old site has disappeared. Nonetheless, I got so frustrated trying to price AA tickets that I ended up buying one on UA instead.

My biggest gripe at the moment is that nothing seems to be posting. I've got four AS segments from 4/1 and 4/2 that have made it past the 2 week wait period. I'm waiting for those to post so my upgrade counter will roll... I'm going to be hacked if I have to go and buy upgrade credits before my next flight because their technology isn't interfacing properly.

Hmmm... corporate is only about five miles away. Maybe we should drive over their at lunch and sniff the wacky weed on campus. Whatever it is, that type of mind-bender is something that I might want to have on hand the next time I want to duck reality.

Meanwhile, my suggestion for AA... quit publicizing the "new" website until you get the kinks worked out. The press releases and hype are embarrassing.
Old Apr 18, 02, 7:08 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have to agree as well - this version was rolled out way too soon.

My big problem - site is TOOOO SLOOOW. I agree with tech - I do think the intent was good, and there are some nice features - I just think more testing should have been done.
Also, on numerous occasions I have tried to book a flight and got message that said "feature unavailable"??

AA - please go back to old version while you work out the bugs here - as well as speed issue.

Signed,
Loyal EXP
Old Apr 18, 02, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should keep the old AA.com active as a parallel option for a while longer.
Old Apr 18, 02, 7:40 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium before Covid19
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
I've always been a strong defender of AA, often asking discussion participants to consider the perspective of the company instead of only their own. Yet I am having a very hard time sympathizing with AA's perspective tonight, and minimizing my concerns with regard to the new AA.com website.</font>
Hmm. When someone else expresses a concern you admit to playing the devil's advocate, but look for consensus when you raise a concern. That's a dangerous game.

May I suggest in defense of AA, that the new web-site may have been developed to meet multiple objectives besides that of meeting end-user needs. I'm sure that the perceived "look" of the web site may be just as important to sr mgmt as ease of use for end-users. Additionally, IT depts are notorious for meeting deadlines by shuffling functionality and speed into "secondary" builds.

While I agree with your conerns about speed, I'm not sure anything will change in the near future based on any amount of complaining. Check back in 6 months and you may see some improvement.
Old Apr 18, 02, 7:51 am

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
Don't quite understand how you launch a sub-par product. Speed should be of the most importance. Though the "timed-out" msg on the old aa.com site was exceedingly frustrating.
Old Apr 18, 02, 8:31 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
I have been pricing flights on the site. Haven't actually purchased a ticket on the new site. Did notice that after you search by schedule and pick flights. They price and you used to get a link to lower fares if possible. This link is now gone and it makes booking at the lowest fare possible much more difficult. Call AA.com customer support and they couldn't find the link either. Said it had been dropped and urged me to contact AA, which I did by email. I think that AA is interested in emails and calls concerning the usefulness of the site by its frequent users. As I am learning the site overall I like it better than the old one. But if they make it harder to buy tickets on the site that is a major drawback.
Old Apr 18, 02, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1P MM
Has anyone actually read the terms and conditions they ask us to agree to in order to use the site. I consider some of these ridiculous. They want to prevent us from using site that will track activity in multiple programs by retrieving account balances etc. I can sort of understand why they want to do this, but I object to the prohibition. How many of their customers do you think will be violating this term as soon as it is technically possible to do so.
Old Apr 18, 02, 9:00 am

I have to disagree with the OP. It seems like with my system, the new AA.com is actually faster and has fewer timeouts or lockups than the oldAA.com. Although I have yet to book on the new AA.com, I have repeatedly checked planned trips and particularly like the "Modify Search" box that allows you to change dates, passengers, and even cities quickly.

I applaud the new AA.com as an improvement over the old version.

Old Apr 18, 02, 9:15 am

I have been unable to purchase a single ticket on this site though I would have spent at least 2 hours trying to get it to ticket. It collapses at different points: seat selection, pricing, or worst, at the final purchase point after entering the Credit Card info.

I completely agree that AA management is on dope to allow something as unstable as this to go out. Perhaps the IT department was under pressure to "deliver results".

It actually has me wondering on the quality levels which are considered acceptable by AA. Is such poor quality acceptable only on the IT front or does it extend beyond that in to their core aircraft operations and maintenance. I had read reports of AA being fined because of low engine oil pressure (inadequate maintance) in its American Eagle fleet. The current site reflects very purely on AA and it would be better if they pull it off till they are able to fix the bugs.
Old Apr 18, 02, 9:24 am

dallasflyer: contact AA, which I did by email

The only email address I have is webmaster. Do you have others? I don't like filling out the web forms and am surprised that the web form interface is also called email.

Thanks

Sylvia
Old Apr 18, 02, 9:53 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spyder:
Additionally, IT depts are notorious for meeting deadlines by shuffling functionality and speed into "secondary" builds.
</font>
Obviously, you don't work in an IT department!

What I've seen in most cases is the client (business side) requesting too much in too little time and not listening when IT says "This probably isn't a smart idea" when they decide to release anyways.

Greg

Old Apr 18, 02, 10:21 am
SK

And here is the official announcement for the coming of the new aa.com, as posted by yahoo:

American Airlines(R) Introduces a New and Improved AA.com(R);
Enhanced Web Site Offers More Value and Added Convenience

FORT WORTH, Texas, April 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Looking for an easier way to book travel online? Look no further -- the new AA.com is now here. American Airlines has launched a completely redesigned Web site, AA.com, which is easier to use and offers more ways for customers to save time and money.

Here is the remainder of the article.
Old Apr 18, 02, 10:32 am

I think the new aa.com is a vast improvement over the old one. After having played around on it for a bit it seems to be much faster than the old one to me and I love the fact that it doesn't time out any more.

Sorry this is one band wagon I'm not getting on. Perhaps it is a case of resistance to change by some of the longer term users of the old site? Either way I am happy with the new site and expect that most of the bugs will be sorted out soon (like getting a netsaaver e-mail but then not being able to get the site to pull up the fare STL-OGG).
Old Apr 18, 02, 10:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
Has anyone actually read the terms and conditions they ask us to agree to in order to use the site. I consider some of these ridiculous. They want to prevent us from using site that will track activity in multiple programs by retrieving account balances etc. I can sort of understand why they want to do this, but I object to the prohibition. How many of their customers do you think will be violating this term as soon as it is technically possible to do so.</font>
Yeah, I wonder which junior level legal assistant saw fit to include the following (not to mention their supervisor approving it)...perhaps they should have also said "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

No offer to sell or buy securities

The information on the Site does not constitute an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to buy any securities and must not be relied upon in connection with any investment decision.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: