Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They are adding rows back onto the MD80s

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

They are adding rows back onto the MD80s

I was in Tucson this afternoon and saw 3 MD80s parked in the back or the tarmac. I'm a regular and asked my AA friend and they said AA is putting seats back onto their MD80s - row 7 is coming back. Supposedly Tulsa is backed up so the work will be done in Tucson.

They just took them out - what happened?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Idiots.

AA finally installs its own version of E+ and what happens? UA's various missteps and AA's improvements conspire to drive AA's revenue far above projections in 2012 and so far in 2013 and suddenly some dimwit in Fort Worth decides to mess with success and reduce the number of MCE seats and tighten up the cabins. Not unlike the moronic decision to outfit the A319s with more total seats than UA, DL or US and fewer F seats than DL or US.

Fools.

My assumption is that Parker's new management team may have played a role in convincing AA's management to revisit the seating density. The DoJ quoted Parker as telling an underling that additional legroom seating was one of the "stupid things" that wouldn't last, while wifi was here to stay. They really thought the merger would be complete in mid-August and made a lot of joint planning well in advance, and perhaps the reinstallation of economy seats was among those joint decisions.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeTucson
what happened?
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Idiots.

Fools.
I think that about sums it up

Oh wait. Morons.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
How can they justify the cost of adding the row back in when some of these birds are headed for the graveyard soon? Will that extra row really make them enough money to cover the (sunk) cost of installing them?

It doesn't make sense to me, when they are running commercials touting the "new American" and the "new plane every week" phrases. I guess the marketing department and the operations department are not getting along these days...

And there was such promise so far in 2013 in regards to the finances.... I guess that was just a "mid-summer's night dream" and we are entering the dark and harsh winter.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Yeah we're going to need more evidence than this to believe this.

They aren't doing away with MCE, so whats the idea - shove Y- even further together? (if this is really true, which I doubt)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

They said they are reducing the pitch in MCE with the added seats

Are they doing this on other planes too
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...7-fleets.html/

We asked American about Curtis’ message. Spokeswoman Stacey Frantz about the airline’s plans. Here’s her reply:

“We continually evaluate the configuration of our fleet, and make adjustments when appropriate to match supply to demand, while remaining competitive within the industry. Although we expect to add seats to the 737 and MD-80 fleets, we are evaluating the right number of seats and the impact on revenue and cost while retaining our Main Cabin Extra product.

“It’s premature to speculate on the impact to capacity outlook. All capacity decisions of the merged carrier will be decided through the integration process.

“As we work through plans to integrate our two airlines, our leaders are evaluating every aspect of the business to make sure that any new decisions are right for the combined carrier.”
This is covered with Parker's and Kirby's prints.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I was wondering the seat maps for my a few of my upcoming Mad Dog flights showed MCE starting at row 7. Though my upgrades did clear so I won't be able to check that out.

They also appear to have reneged on their promised not to designate exit rows as MCE. I suppose that gives me some incentive to keep PLT at least.

Originally Posted by sts603

They aren't doing away with MCE, so whats the idea - shove Y- even further together? (if this is really true, which I doubt)
My guess is that they'll reduce some of the room on the existing MCE section to make way for the extra row. And charge the same price for less room... But you have more MCE seats!

OT, but If this turns out to be true, the future may be pretty bleak for us AAers. Dougie had a choice of two roads:

UA - dumb down the product but charge the same or more

DL - sky miles not withstanding, DL has made some huge improvements to their hard And soft products over the last few years. It's actually something I'd want to pay for.

I fear we may be heading down the former.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...7-fleets.html/

This is covered with Parker's and Kirby's prints.
Y is the new F!!!

Is it also Parker's and Kirby's prints on DL's decision to rip out 6 F seats from their 757s and replace them with Y seats? Ooooh, maybe he sent out another threatening email to Anderson! Call the DOJ!!!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
That is what I heard from folks at AA - that the decision to add back seats was driven by the "new" management team.

Idiots.

AA finally installs its own version of E+ and what happens? UA's various missteps and AA's improvements conspire to drive AA's revenue far above projections in 2012 and so far in 2013 and suddenly some dimwit in Fort Worth decides to mess with success and reduce the number of MCE seats and tighten up the cabins. Not unlike the moronic decision to outfit the A319s with more total seats than UA, DL or US and fewer F seats than DL or US.

Fools.

My assumption is that Parker's new management team may have played a role in convincing AA's management to revisit the seating density. The DoJ quoted Parker as telling an underling that additional legroom seating was one of the "stupid things" that wouldn't last, while wifi was here to stay. They really thought the merger would be complete in mid-August and made a lot of joint planning well in advance, and perhaps the reinstallation of economy seats was among those joint decisions.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sts603
I was on such an MD-80 a couple of weeks ago. Having selected the coach bulkhead row my boarding pass was rejected as a 'seat duplicate' in the boarding line and I was directed to the other GA for a new assignment. I was given a new BP with the remark 'this is the new bulkhead.' It was, as I recall it, row 7.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
I agree that this has Parker and Kirby's fingerprints all over it. I wonder how long it will take them to try and charge for water and soft drinks again.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Idiots.

Fools.

Actually...

There is a precedent to the exact same story: TWA in... Aw shucks... I AM getting old. I even remember Panam and Eastern.

Anyways, TWA added space in Economy, then removed it. We know where THAT led them....
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
“We continually evaluate the configuration of our fleet, and make adjustments when appropriate to match supply to demand, while remaining competitive within the industry. Although we expect to add seats to the 737 and MD-80 fleets, we are evaluating the right number of seats and the impact on revenue and cost while retaining our Main Cabin Extra product.
There don't seem to be many choices for them on the MD80. All of MCE, except the exit rows, was created by removing a single row of Y seats. If they put that row back, all of MCE is gone. The only other options would be to put the seats back on one side but not the other, I suppose. Or remove a row of F seats.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM
I flew in F on one of the S80s with row 7 re-added on Tuesday. It seemed tighter than before. Perhaps they are taking a few inches from F seats, in addition to the remaining MCE seats, and moving the bulkhead?

Last edited by TXguy; Nov 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.