FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Eagle airplane skidded off @ ORD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1519180-eagle-airplane-skidded-off-ord.html)

worldtrav Nov 6, 2013 8:16 am

Eagle airplane skidded off @ ORD

Looks like an American Eagle jet off the pavement at ORD, combine that with the weather and I'm sure delays are in the works.

Antarius Nov 6, 2013 8:33 am

Any idea which one?

Antarius Nov 6, 2013 9:38 am

Looks to be AA4332 an Embraer 175.

Article about it:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/tr...230824571.html

JMN57 Nov 6, 2013 12:52 pm

had that happen once in GRR on a late UA 737. pilot was booking to get to gate, cut the corner and we got stuck. not a lot of ground personnel at 11pm in GRR - took a while to get to terminal and thkse with baggage waited a long time.

fastair Nov 7, 2013 12:54 am

I love how "Cunningham", the AA PR rep said there would be no delays as a result. The runway was shut down during inclimate weather, which immedialtly caused the FAA to institute a gound delay program, holding upline aircraft on the ground at their stations for up to 30 min. Since when does an airline spokesman get to determine (incorrectly) if the actions of their equipment will impact other flights?

Not a bash against AA, it happens, but the PR rep stating something that was immediatly false bothers me.

FWAAA Nov 7, 2013 9:36 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 21742648)

Not a bash against AA, it happens, but the PR rep stating something that was immediatly false bothers me.

As an agent for a different airline, this surprises you? ;)

One of the most frustrating things customers face daily are agents who either make it up as they go along or pass along information that is obviously not true. Flyertalkers sometimes decry this as "lying" but the more pragmatic among us realize that airlines are very poorly equipped to pass along accurate information, all up and down the chain.

An example? Sitting at gate at small spoke where only available plane is the delayed inbound flight from the hub. Plane hasn't yet departed the hub (not too far away) and a "revised departure time" is posted and announced by the hapless agent.

Problem is, that revised departure time will obviously come and go before the plane even arrives at the spoke, unless that RJ is capable of supersonic flight. Everyone with a computer or smartphone knows that, yet the antiquated IT systems and clueless higher-ups of the airline persist in feeding the agent the inaccurate (and obviously impossible) revised departure time.

No wonder the PR person fed the media inaccurate information - that's probably what they were told. Inaccuracy is a pervasive problem in your industry. Certainly not your fault, as you probably bear the brunt of passenger anger when they figure it out. :)

tylerdurden4543 Nov 7, 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 21742648)
I love how "Cunningham", the AA PR rep said there would be no delays as a result. The runway was shut down during inclimate weather, which immedialtly caused the FAA to institute a gound delay program, holding upline aircraft on the ground at their stations for up to 30 min. Since when does an airline spokesman get to determine (incorrectly) if the actions of their equipment will impact other flights?

If you want to nitpick details, I think we'd need to first clarify where this occurred -- the article references leaving both a "taxiway" and a "runway," which, except for a one-time thing at Chicago's Meigs Field, generally isn't the same thing. If the incident occurred on a taxiway, it's plausible that it wouldn't force the closure of a runway and it wouldn't affect departing/arriving flights. If it did indeed occur on a runway, different story.

mvoight Nov 7, 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 (Post 21744494)
If you want to nitpick details, I think we'd need to first clarify where this occurred -- the article references leaving both a "taxiway" and a "runway," which, except for a one-time thing at Chicago's Meigs Field, generally isn't the same thing. If the incident occurred on a taxiway, it's plausible that it wouldn't force the closure of a runway and it wouldn't affect departing/arriving flights. If it did indeed occur on a runway, different story.

I think there are quite a few airports that use the runway as a taxiway.
:)

tylerdurden4543 Nov 7, 2013 10:57 am

O'Hare, the airport in question, isn't one of them and also why I wrote "generally"

Dr. HFH Nov 7, 2013 4:42 pm

I've never seen an airport not from time to time. Including, for example, JFK.

tylerdurden4543 Nov 7, 2013 6:49 pm

Let me clarify: hardly ever (and as far as I know, never except for Meigs field (though I'm sure there are sporadic other examples)) is a taxiway the same thing as a runway in so far as a taxiway being used for take-offs and landings.

So back to my original question -- did the plane depart a runway or a taxiway? The answer makes a huge difference as to how the incident could impact airport operations.