FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Take the confirmed SWU or hold out? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1518382-take-confirmed-swu-hold-out.html)

saucesee Nov 3, 13 7:01 pm

Take the confirmed SWU or hold out?

flying back LHR-SFO (right before new years) hoping to use a SWU from Y to J. While I'd love to take AA137 LHR-LAX, there's currently no SWU availability (though biz availability looks wide open). Expertflyer, however, shows open SWU availability on AA 101 to JFK, to AA85 (on a 763).

Conflicted on what to do--take the confirmed availability via JFK (shorter 77W flight), or chance LAX? Ah, first world problems...

gapilot Nov 3, 13 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee (Post 21721708)
flying back LHR-SFO (right before new years) hoping to use a SWU from Y to J. While I'd love to take AA137 LHR-LAX, there's currently no SWU availability (though biz availability looks wide open). Expertflyer, however, shows open SWU availability on AA 101 to JFK, to AA85 (on a 763).

Conflicted on what to do--take the confirmed availability via JFK (shorter 77W flight), or chance LAX? Ah, first world problems...

For me, if there's a confirmed SWU, I always take it. Why? There's always the chance of having to fly in the back on the TATL flight, and I REALLY don't want to do that!

djibouti Nov 3, 13 8:19 pm

Confirmed, confirmed, confirmed.

763 is a perfectly cromulent solution in F.

ETA: While LHR-LAX is an awesome long-haul flight in a premium cabin, it's a real drag to fly LHR-LAX-SFO. LAX-SFO isn't for 2 hours (way too long if you have Global Entry) and after an 11 hour flight having to take another short hop sucks. I definitely enjoyed LHR-LAX on my way home, but having done that, I'd be plenty happy doing LHR-JFK-SFO in J/F.

Exec_Plat Nov 3, 13 8:26 pm

Is AA101 a 777? (quick look seems like it is a 77W actually)

I REALLY prefer 77W J over the old tired 777.

Given that it is a day flight, and you need to connect somewhere, Id do the confirmed ...

(are you just going by expert flyer or did you call the exp desk and enquire?)

dayone Nov 3, 13 8:50 pm

As others has posted, immediate confirmability makes LHR-JFK-SFO an easy choice, especially if LHR-JFK is a 77W.

saucesee Nov 3, 13 9:16 pm

Thanks all for setting me right in my ways. Confirmed it is. @exec_plat, 101 is a 77W, and I'm using ExpertFlyer to see availability, confirmed via phone call to the ExPlat desk.

Also, given the other thread about the hassle of clearing CBP in LAX, especially after the London flight, it's an even easier call.

djibouti Nov 3, 13 11:50 pm

I've done this exact route (AA 101-AA 85 in J). You won't be upset. :-)

MarkedMan Nov 4, 13 10:58 am

It's plenty good enough for sure, I preferred the timing we had when there was a 12:30 JFK flight too connecting to the 6pm SFO flight, since I didn't need to get up too early to make the TATL flight, but this works well.

Aside from the lack of wifi the 763s are also a much better trip than the 762 J cabins and as djibouti points out the post-arrival connection experience in LA is less than ideal even when not considering CBP, notwithstanding the nice FL. AA85 departs at 8:30pm London time, perfect time for a late dinner and a nap. Even with the earlier flight from LHR, your LAX-SFO won't leave until 3am London time.

cynicAAl Nov 4, 13 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by saucesee (Post 21721708)
flying back LHR-SFO (right before new years) hoping to use a SWU from Y to J. While I'd love to take AA137 LHR-LAX, there's currently no SWU availability (though biz availability looks wide open).

I'm on 137 (LHR-LAX) 12/30 in J, which has been filling up quickly since I booked in June. As others have said, a guaranteed upgrade is better than a waitlisted one on a better plane/route.